A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:23:42 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Encouraging Energy Economy in local Government  (Read 4546 times)
Jason
Citizen

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 01:49:26 pm »

Well we finally agree on some things. I am obviously late in catching this post so please for give me. I will say that most of these vehicles left running with no one using them is ridiculus. The ambulance at the ball game did not have to be running. Normally while they are on post at the QT or where ever, they stay running to keep batteries charged and and the vehicle including the patient compartment comfortable. This is very important. Of course you have a thing against EMSA so you wont believe that.. The fire dept doe not need to respond with EMSA most of the time, and even less with and engine or ladder. They have started using smalle more "efficient" suburbans but "always" send an engine with them.
The take home vehicles in use by city employees is way out of control. I drive my own car to work. Infact most of us do.
quote:
Originally posted by Friendly Bear

With energy prices at all time highs, almost all Tulsans are trying to economize on fuel, electricity and natural gas usage.

Well, almost all of us.

Seems some of our city, county, TCC, EMSA, and TPS personnel may not be economizing on energy usage.

Let's start a thread here to document what appears to be uneconomical usage of fuel and energy.

Then, maybe some eco-conscious individual like TulsaNow favorite RecycleMichael can forward these observations along to the appropriate local government manager responsible for wasting our tax dollars.

Here's a few questionable practices I've seen lately:

1.  Just this weekend, at my Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market, I stop for a few groceries.
Parked outfront is a Tulsa Fire Dept. 30-ton pumper truck.

Truck engine is RUNNING.

While getting my Wal-mart brand groceries to economize, I see the Tulsa Fire Department personnel pushing a shopping cart around, piling up groceries.  A LOT of groceries.

Well, firemen have to eat, too.  

But, do they have to shop with the truck ENGINE left running?

Getting -0- M.P.G. while shopping.

2.  When I drive by East 81st Street and U.S. 169 in the very early a.m., I see EVERY parking light burning on the huge parking lot at TCC Southeast Campus.

Some private parking lots now have motion sensitive lights to trip on when motion (of a pedestrian) is identified.  Apparently not TCC....

Wonder why TCC wants to run up their electricity bill?  

AEP thanks them, however.  

FB does NOT.

3.  While attending a Tulsa Drillers game recently, I notice an EMSA ambulance parked just inside the perimeter fence.

Okay by me.  

Seems logical in case there is a emergency.

The ambulance engine is left running.  For 3 hours, the ambulance engine is RUNNING.

Getting -0- M.P.G.  Does NOT seem logical.

During the game, I notice the two ambulance personnel in the box seat section.  They seem to be enjoying themselves.

I suddenly have a case of indigestion, caused either by EMSA fuel wastefulness or the Driller Dog I've just downed.

4.  During a recent foray downtown, on a sunny WEEKEND afternoon, with all the Tulsa city offices closed, I notice every exterior light burning around old City Hall.  Also, all lights burning outside the city council meeting room.  

24 x 7?

Seems, well....dumb.

But, AEP thanks them. Immensely.

5.  During a recent stop at Quik-Trip, I see the EMSA Ambulance personnel sitting inside their vehicle with their engine running.  One is apparently asleep.

The ambulance is still running when I come back by about an hour later.  Getting -0- M.P.G.

Is it because EMSA personnel are basically homeless, having little in regards to permanent basing, and eschewing any possibility of staging out of our local Fire Stations, whom they view a competitors.

Or, do they just like to waste our fuel?

6. During our recent very cold winter, I see Tulsa PD vehicles parked outside of Quik-Trip, Day-Lite Donuts, McDonald's, etc. with their engines left RUNNING.  The driver is inside getting merchandise or food.

Most normal people have to turn off their car engines when shopping, in order to economize.

Why are Tulsa PD apparently wasting our fuel?

7.  As you go by your neighborhood Tulsa Public Schools, notice on the weekends when NO ONE is there that the air conditioning system seems to still be running FULL BLAST.

Why?

Why would TPS want to be so wasteful of our tax dollars?

8.  City Councilor Bill Christiansen attempted to get an accounting as to the number and justification for civilian take-home cars assigned to city personnel.  He found there were  in excess of 100 vehicles assigned for take-home.

Is there still room for improvement in respect to the city vehicle take-home policy?

#9 New Edit:  

Driving around downtown on SATURDAY nite, I see that the OTC is literally ablaze with lights on all floors save one in that 15 Story White Elephant.

EVERY light in the building left burning.

Next door, the 50-story BOK/Williams Tower is mostly blacked out.  Just a few scattered lights on, here and there.

Wonder why?  

Oh, you say the shareholders pay for the lighting of the Williams/BOK Tower, hence the economy.

And, the TAXPAYERS pay to light the new City Hall at One Technology Center, hence the WASTE.

BIG difference.

Is the city/county/TCC/TPS/EMSA just resoundingly stupid regarding energy efficiency measures, or are they simply rewarding AEP, ONG, and our local fuel refineries for underwriting their local government bond and sales tax issues and renewal campaigns?

The old, old game of "I'll scratch your back, you scratch mine".  

And the Taxpayer pays the freight....??

Take your pick.

Please, let's continue this thread for areas where energy wastefulness can be identified, and hopefully generate useful ideas leading to measures where energy economy can be recommended in local Tulsa government.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org