A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:43:31 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best elementary schools in Tulsa County  (Read 12597 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2008, 03:36:02 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by brunoflipper

Originally posted by cannon_fodder

over 5% of eisenhower's student enrollment qualify for free school lunches...
it also has a pretty diverse ethnic mix- 1/3 white, 1/3 black, 1/4 hispanic...

1/3 white?  70% of Tulsa is white.  Glad to see white people are disproportionally represented at EIS. And I'm fairly confident more than 5% qualify for free lunches at the typical TPS.  

Unfortunately I live in 74114 ("rich" area where people care about education), my child is white, and the neighborhood preferences only Booker T. Washington that I know of.  Thus, because of where I live and what color my son's skin is, the odds of getting him in are much lesser.  Not that it is a priority for me as I feel his current school is just fine.

Per name dropping, I'm not accusing anyone here and I'm not sure why people would brag about such a thing (makes me think less of people).  I have no data that says it is true, maybe they think it makes them feel "big."  So please take it with a grain of salt.

And finally, I live down the street.  When traffic picks up for school days there is an increase of fancy cars down my street.  It could be that the kids from the less affluent areas have working parents and take the bus while the money belt soccer moms across Harvard can pick them up daily, who knows.  Just reporting what I can see.

BUT, I'm not really concerned.  I am happy with my sons school (as he sits across the desk from me doing homework because the little crap got in trouble for messing off, instead of aftercare where he plays I picked him up and plopped his butt down to do extra homework.  Damn kids.).  As he progresses and his studies become harder I will press harder to ensure he stays in good schools.  My point is merely that magnet schools should not be the measure of the program.  All schools need to be improved in TPS, Union, and most of Oklahoma.

Sorry if I got sidetracked on ancillary issues or if I sounded like I was belittling the magnet program.  I think Tulsa has made great efforts in that regard and I hope they somehow translate those successes to other schools.  But, without the help of parents it is an uphill battle.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2008, 03:43:28 pm »

I agree that TPS bad rap is not fully deserved. Sometimes I think that real estate agents perpetuate this fallacy to sell houses in the burbs.

pmcalk, you are completely right. The parents hold 95% of the success of their kids in their own hands.
bbriscoe
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2008, 04:43:40 pm »

quote:

try "calling in a favor" and see what it gets you, i know of two physicians whose kids did not make the cut...

Why do physician's kids even need a publically funded education?  I don't make anywhere near what a doctor does, but I pay for my son's school and I pay my property taxes on top of that.
inteller
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 04:44:45 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bbriscoe

quote:

try "calling in a favor" and see what it gets you, i know of two physicians whose kids did not make the cut...

Why do physician's kids even need a publically funded education?  I don't make anywhere near what a doctor does, but I pay for my son's school and I pay my property taxes on top of that.

hey, that redistribution of wealth works both ways!
inteller
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2008, 04:46:23 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by carltonplace

I agree that TPS bad rap is not fully deserved.

did you see the composite score for the district?  It was ABYSMAL!  It makes the two schools that scored 1500 appear as outliers.  Hell, even though Union had no perfect schools, at least their composite district score wasn't in the dumper.
Steve
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2008, 05:07:35 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by pmcalk

Where Carnegie & Eisenhower are located is irrelevant, since both draw students from all over the city (less than 50% of the kids from Carnegie come from the neighborhood).

The truth is the success of the schools is so much dependent upon the parents of the students.  Parents who want their children to have a good education seek out the best schools.  Parents who take the time to apply to magnet schools, or investigate which schools have the best test scores, are going to be the parents who make sure their kids get their homework done, who are going to meet with teachers to ensure their kids are learning, who are going to make sure their kids get to school every day on time.
So the kids that go to these schools are inclined to do well already.  Not that these aren't great schools, I just think much of what it measures is beyond the control of the schools.

Very well said, my thoughts exactly.  IMO, the problem with low performing schools is not the fault of the faculty, school district, or lack of money.  (Although we certainly should pay our teachers a more professional wage.)  The problem is with the parents and in the materialistic, narcissistic attitudes of U.S. society.  I believe there is a direct correlation to declining school test scores and increasing single-parent households, warehousing kids in day care instead of parents properly raising their own kids, and the shrinking middle class.
inteller
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2008, 05:33:10 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

quote:
Originally posted by pmcalk

Where Carnegie & Eisenhower are located is irrelevant, since both draw students from all over the city (less than 50% of the kids from Carnegie come from the neighborhood).

The truth is the success of the schools is so much dependent upon the parents of the students.  Parents who want their children to have a good education seek out the best schools.  Parents who take the time to apply to magnet schools, or investigate which schools have the best test scores, are going to be the parents who make sure their kids get their homework done, who are going to meet with teachers to ensure their kids are learning, who are going to make sure their kids get to school every day on time.
So the kids that go to these schools are inclined to do well already.  Not that these aren't great schools, I just think much of what it measures is beyond the control of the schools.

Very well said, my thoughts exactly.  IMO, the problem with low performing schools is not the fault of the faculty, school district, or lack of money.  (Although we certainly should pay our teachers a more professional wage.)  The problem is with the parents and in the materialistic, narcissistic attitudes of U.S. society.  I believe there is a direct correlation to declining school test scores and increasing single-parent households, warehousing kids in day care instead of parents properly raising their own kids, and the shrinking middle class.

well, perhaps if our economy wasn't such that most parents both had to work, they wouldn't warehouse them.  I suppose we could all live meager existences while one parent stayed home and "properly" raised their kids.  I know that's what all the Stepford Wifes in my neighborhood do.  Man, I wish I had a super job like their husbands do so my wife could stay home and **** the gardener while the kids are being taken care of....oh wait [Tongue]
mrburns918
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 03:07:38 pm »

Both of my children now attend school in Owasso. My preference was for them to attend Lee or Patrick Henry elementary. Divorce can mess plans up. The decision my ex and I agreed was that they attend Owasso schools until high school then on to Booker T. Washington.

My ex and I think Owasso schools are overrated. I won't even get into the redneck mentality the majority of teachers have in Owasso. For now, the best thing for our children is to do what was mentioned in previous posts, stay involved. I think parents being involved with their children's school work can overcome any situation that may be deemed less than standard.  

Mr. Burns

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 04:06:25 pm »

My friends that live in Owasso have had 4 children go through Owasso schools.  According to them they started out stellar, then got mediocre, and now appear overwhelmed in many regards.  They put their children into private school (in this instance bible school that also teach other subjects).

Hopefully it is just growing pains.  Schools in the Tulsa metro as a whole are as important as Tulsa schools.  Schools in the state, for that matter, are important.  States with a reputation for education (Iowa) are able to grow and retain young professional families.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org