A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:07:50 am
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brookside  (Read 105117 times)
dbacksfan 2.0
City Father

« Reply #165 on: December 23, 2021, 08:26:53 pm »

That was the Camelot, no?  Now it's a Quiktrip.  

There was at one time Camelot, Trade Winds West immediately south of Camelot, a Stratford House Inns just east of Riverside Drive on the east bound service road and the one just east of the Belaire shopping center.

All of those were pretty much on life support in 1981, Stratford came in the late 80's and did not last 10 years, and all that's left is the one behind the Belaire.

My high school prom and senior breakfast was at Camelot in 1981 and it was in sad shape then.

For those that remember KAKC, their studios were in the Trade Winds West.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 08:28:30 pm by dbacksfan 2.0 » Logged
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #166 on: December 23, 2021, 09:41:46 pm »

What is to stop them from diverting the undergrounding funds to tree trimming at the last minute?  Bait-and-switch we have seen before.

The new additional 1% franchise fee will be controlled by CoT.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #167 on: December 24, 2021, 05:59:01 am »

For those that remember KAKC, their studios were in the Trade Winds West.

Kalling All Kool Cats when it was an actual rock station but that was before my time. Just recently it's gone from sports to crazy town talk radio.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #168 on: December 24, 2021, 10:39:34 am »

The new additional 1% franchise fee will be controlled by CoT.

I asked my district councilor for the specifics on that and never heard back.  Is there a link to it somewhere?

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #169 on: December 24, 2021, 12:54:07 pm »

I asked my district councilor for the specifics on that and never heard back.  Is there a link to it somewhere?

The ballot language was approved by City Council in November and will be on the Feb 8 ballot.  The Council website is SNAFU so I couldn't pull the initiative language/franchise agreement.  But here's the most recent World story: https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/new-pso-franchise-fee-agreement-on-tulsa-ballot-feb-8/article_9d818f88-46f8-11ec-9659-172862b3c5a3.html.

The new agreement would add a 1% charge to fund the maintenance and repair of public ways, such as streets, highways and rights of way. The fee is expected to raise an estimated $4.5 million a year, or $76 million over the life of the agreement.

The bulk of the maintenance funds would go toward a citywide utility line burial program and converting the city’s highway lighting to LED lights.

The lede got buried by the lefties pushing for a 100% renewable commitment from PSO.  This went nowhere but delayed the agreement for awhile.  What should have been the headline is that Tulsa's utilities ROW improvement budget just got a $4.5 million/year bump.  From what I gather, the intent is to bury lines as part of new arterial rehabilitations going forward, including the entire stretch of Peoria that is set to be rebuilt over the next 5-7 years.

Once I can find the franchise agreement itself, I'll post it as a new topic.  This is exciting stuff.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #170 on: December 24, 2021, 02:15:22 pm »

The ballot language was approved by City Council in November and will be on the Feb 8 ballot.  The Council website is SNAFU so I couldn't pull the initiative language/franchise agreement.  But here's the most recent World story: https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/new-pso-franchise-fee-agreement-on-tulsa-ballot-feb-8/article_9d818f88-46f8-11ec-9659-172862b3c5a3.html.

The lede got buried by the lefties pushing for a 100% renewable commitment from PSO.  This went nowhere but delayed the agreement for awhile.  What should have been the headline is that Tulsa's utilities ROW improvement budget just got a $4.5 million/year bump.  From what I gather, the intent is to bury lines as part of new arterial rehabilitations going forward, including the entire stretch of Peoria that is set to be rebuilt over the next 5-7 years.

Once I can find the franchise agreement itself, I'll post it as a new topic.  This is exciting stuff.

It is an opportunity to do the streetlighting upgrades that PSO put off under the auspices that for some reason couldnt happen under the present, expiring franchise.
Right now the upgrades are only to replace the expressway lights that we recently spent $10 million on.  And even those involve the older technology LEDs that have a garish blue cast that many cities have had to come back and re-do.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/regionals/south/2016/10/21/use-led-streetlights-grows-concerns-over-blue-light/KHONmxG20h6CcRRlslbsiM/story.html
https://gothamist.com/news/some-nyers-are-struggling-to-adapt-to-harsh-authoritarian-led-streetlights

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #171 on: December 27, 2021, 09:52:54 am »

From what I gather, the intent is to bury lines as part of new arterial rehabilitations going forward, including the entire stretch of Peoria that is set to be rebuilt over the next 5-7 years.

Peoria between which streets?

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #172 on: December 27, 2021, 10:08:00 am »

Peoria between which streets?

56th S N to 46th St N starting in 2022
46th S N to 36th St N starting in 2022
Pine to Admiral starting in 2027
Admiral to 11th st starting in 2022
11th to 21st starting in 2021 (pending utility work)
21st to 31st starting in 2027
31st to 41st starting in 2023
41st to 51st starting in 2021 (pending utility work)

https://cityoftulsa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=008f17b85c2d4b30a8af31b90ef24173/
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #173 on: December 28, 2021, 01:27:56 pm »

Grin just difference of opinion. I'll take the tin building in the renderings that extends streetlife and density south versus the tin building church with zero activity, pushed back from the street, and with half the site as a surface parking lot. Being across from the QT in combination that pretty much are the killer of street life that fragments anything south from the more pedestrian part of Brookside north. 

Agree, this will help fill the pedestrian connectivity void at the south part of that intersection.  As someone who lives nearby and frequents Brookside I am all for added density and new ground floor businesses. 

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2022, 10:53:14 am »

Here’s what’s coming. It’s a shame they’re going to tear down that church for this characterless crap. Same architect as the 11th and Lewis deal (“NoMa” lol). Maybe they can call this one SoPa.

This project is in the Tulsa World today:
https://tulsaworld.com/business/local/mixed-use-development-coming-to-brookside-church-site-planners-say/article_eeac709e-6caf-11ec-937e-37086f79a4d8.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

One thing I had no noticed, that the World has photos of, is that the church is boarded up and they are taking down the stained glass on the inside. This project seems to be happening quickly.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2022, 12:47:09 pm »

This project is in the Tulsa World today:

What stood out to me was this:

The congregation began meeting at 3105 E. Skelly Drive, Suite 304, in November but plans to move into a modern church facility in the new development once it is completed.

“The design team is assessing what features of the existing church buildings will be retained, if any,” the Ross Group’s Kevin Symcox wrote in an email. The church building was constructed in 1952, property records indicate.

...so this mixed use also includes... a church, the way I read it.  That will be interesting.

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2022, 03:24:18 pm »

That's awesome, although I imagine it will be annoying for those living in the building. I live catty-corner to a church and I can feel the vibrations from their music every sunday. The worst part is all the kids running around screaming outside though. I wonder what they will do for kids spaces?

This development is a home run, and has become one of the projects I'm most excited to watch develop. I see that there is already pushback from the usual crowd though. The same old complaints about traffic are being repeated ad nauseum.
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #177 on: January 05, 2022, 07:26:12 am »

What stood out to me was this:

The congregation began meeting at 3105 E. Skelly Drive, Suite 304, in November but plans to move into a modern church facility in the new development once it is completed.

“The design team is assessing what features of the existing church buildings will be retained, if any,” the Ross Group’s Kevin Symcox wrote in an email. The church building was constructed in 1952, property records indicate.

...so this mixed use also includes... a church, the way I read it.  That will be interesting.

I've been noticing a lot of churches going up for sale and relocating to smaller abodes if they relocate at all (that's a whole other discussion). The Agape church at 2111 S Darlington between Yale and Sheridan just went up for sale for $1m. It's got a neat mid-century style entrance but not much beyond that. I can imagine some developers will mow it down and build 6-8 new houses on the land since it's not often new midtown residential lots pop up and this is almost 3 acres.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2022, 01:43:08 pm »

56th S N to 46th St N starting in 2022
46th S N to 36th St N starting in 2022
Pine to Admiral starting in 2027
Admiral to 11th st starting in 2022
11th to 21st starting in 2021 (pending utility work)
21st to 31st starting in 2027
31st to 41st starting in 2023
41st to 51st starting in 2021 (pending utility work)

https://cityoftulsa.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=008f17b85c2d4b30a8af31b90ef24173/

I've noticed work being done along Peoria around 17th, is this related to the street reconstruction?  Per that schedule it would've started last year.  It will be really nice not having the utility lines along this stretch.

LandArchPoke
Philanthropist

« Reply #179 on: January 28, 2022, 01:25:12 pm »

Mondos is opening their new location this weekend on Brookside
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org