A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:55:40 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brookside  (Read 105108 times)
shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2021, 04:00:57 pm »

It looks good to me. It's definitely the style of the day, which makes it seem generic, but in 50-100 years people will be fighting to preserve it I'm sure.  Cheesy

The church has some interesting elements, namely the tower entrance that has been mentioned before, but it won't be a huge loss. It would be a nice touch to keep the retro sign.

The real question is what else this project will kick off down the road. There's a LOT of empty/underutilized lots in Brookside despite it being a compact area. Heck, there's still an empty lot from the last church that was demolished.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #151 on: December 17, 2021, 04:15:13 pm »

I don't care about that church, many. different examples in town of churches from that era. Many much better examples.

I again ask, why no hotel in Brookside?
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #152 on: December 17, 2021, 04:15:45 pm »

Grin just difference of opinion. I'll take the tin building in the renderings that extends streetlife and density south versus the tin building church with zero activity, pushed back from the street, and with half the site as a surface parking lot. Being across from the QT in combination that pretty much are the killer of street life that fragments anything south from the more pedestrian part of Brookside north. 

Fair enough, just hate to see an attractive church building torn down instead of adaptively reused. Such a waste.

It will be refreshing for the power lines to be buried in the next round of street reconstruction (2023-24 in this stretch of Peoria).
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #153 on: December 17, 2021, 05:29:58 pm »

That church has always been immensely forgettable so while I'm always on the side of reusing old buildings, I'm really don't care one way or the other. One boring building with no character being replaced with another boring building with no character is a total push - the main positive is something is being done that is financially good for Brookside as a whole so I welcome it and at least the city will be able to get some property taxes out of it.  Grin
tulsamatt
Activist

« Reply #154 on: December 17, 2021, 06:45:00 pm »

It is happening, Ross Group project. Looks really really nice from the renderings, it is going to piss the neighborhood off to no end I can imagine when renderings are released haha.

Just gonna say, as a neighbor, this looks great! Exciting addition to the neighborhood! Any word on the retailers?

ELG4America
Activist

« Reply #155 on: December 17, 2021, 08:31:38 pm »

Density in Brookside? Yes please.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #156 on: December 22, 2021, 02:41:44 pm »

I had heard about that project but hadn't seen the renderings, really cool and will definitely add some much-needed density to that corner.  

Looking at Brookside north of 36th the biggest remaining holes are the old Blockbuster retail strip at the NE corner of 36th and the old Mecca coffee/Brookside Tattoo and parking lot at 33rd Place.  Fill those in with similar mixed-use developments and you have a pretty cohesive walkable restaurant/retail district.

Has anyone seen renderings of the new Peoria bridge currently under construction over Crow Creek?  Curious if they planned for a future trail underpass once they build the new trail connecting Peoria to the Gathering Place.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 02:44:52 pm by SXSW » Logged

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #157 on: December 23, 2021, 11:44:30 am »

Phase III of the Gathering Place along Crow Creek seems like it would be a great spot for a hotel along with housing.  This is the mixed-use development that hasn't been announced yet as they finish up Phase II and the dam/pedestrian bridge.

I made this map showing where the future trail would be located next to Phase III

« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 11:47:07 am by SXSW » Logged

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #158 on: December 23, 2021, 11:55:17 am »

Looks like everything going up in Dallas and Austin, so boring, but I like the density for sure, and don't care much for a church taking up a prime location. The name should be SoBro.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #159 on: December 23, 2021, 11:56:56 am »

Phase III of the Gathering Place along Crow Creek seems like it would be a great spot for a hotel along with housing.  This is the mixed-use development that hasn't been announced yet as they finish up Phase II and the dam/pedestrian bridge.

I made this map showing where the future trail would be located next to Phase III

I feel like I've seen this before. Is it an actual plan or just a pipedream (other than the Gathering Place portion which I think I saw is being built by the Discovery Lab). I imagine the homeowners would throw a massive fit (homeless everywhere ehermagerd!!!).
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2021, 12:29:15 pm »

It is planned but not yet designed.  My understanding is it's in the works along with the mixed-use development in Phase III, and that either GKFF or the City of Tulsa has secured most of the properties required to build it.  The idea is to be able to connect the mixed-use development, Discovery Lab and Gathering Place directly to Brookside.  Below is an actual plan that was done pre-Gathering Place showing the trail with two trailheads, one of which is complete at Crow Creek Meadow on 33rd, and the other one at the old BSA site on Peoria.  This also shows the new Peoria bridge which is under construction and will be completed next summer.

If they can also fix the old stone walls along Crow Creek that will be a scenic place for a walk or bike ride.

Restored section
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 12:40:36 pm by SXSW » Logged

Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #161 on: December 23, 2021, 12:30:12 pm »

That was the Camelot, no?  Now it's a Quiktrip. 
Tulsan
Civic Leader

« Reply #162 on: December 23, 2021, 12:39:48 pm »

Has anyone seen renderings of the new Peoria bridge currently under construction over Crow Creek?  Curious if they planned for a future trail underpass once they build the new trail connecting Peoria to the Gathering Place.

I saw the bridge plans when they were put out to bid, and did not see any connectivity planned for underneath.  The stretch of Peoria that is the bridge will be wider than before in order to account for better pedestrian amenities.  They could always put a protected crossing at Peoria.  I'll see if I can find the PDF online... once the link disappears from the city engineer page (https://www.cityoftulsa.org/government/departments/engineering-services/construction-bids/) it can be hard to find again.  I'm frankly more excited for the power lines to be buried over the next five years--when they do that as part of the Peoria rebuild, that stretch will feel qualitatively different.  

As for the trail - I have a good contact at GKFF who has told me they have been frustrated by the property owners along the creek, and at this point there is no clear way forward to connect all the way to Peoria.  When it happens, I expect they'll build it to the Crow Creek Meadow and then just wait for the properties between there and the old BSA HQ at Peoria to come available, one by one.  May be many, many years.

EDIT: Here's a link to download the plans for the bridge: https://www.bidnet.com/bneattachments?/719501841.pdf.  Caution - it's a large file (125 MB).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 01:37:24 pm by Tulsan » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #163 on: December 23, 2021, 12:44:53 pm »

As for the trail - I have a good contact at GKFF who has told me they have been frustrated by the property owners along the creek, and at this point there is no clear way forward to connect all the way to Peoria.  When it happens, I expect they'll build it to the Crow Creek Meadow and then just wait for the properties between there and the old BSA HQ at Peoria to come available, one by one.  May be many, many years.

If they could build the trail to Crow Creek Meadow you would only need to run behind one or two residential properties until you get to the office park which seems like it would be easier to run along than homes.  Then you would just need to have a bridge from the south to the north side to connect to the new trailhead at Peoria.  Maybe those properties are the problem.  

I guess a grade crossing at Peoria would be fine if there isn't an underpass, similar to the MV trail crossing at 21st St.  That is if they were to eventually extend the trail east to Zink Park.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 12:47:28 pm by SXSW » Logged

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #164 on: December 23, 2021, 07:28:02 pm »

I'm frankly more excited for the power lines to be buried over the next five years--when they do that as part of the Peoria rebuild, that stretch will feel qualitatively different.

What is to stop them from diverting the undergrounding funds to tree trimming at the last minute?  Bait-and-switch we have seen before.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org