A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:26:56 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brookside  (Read 105020 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2011, 02:18:24 pm »

Center 1 and the Consortium are fully occupied by local businesses which is what Aberson wants.  Jerry Reeves developed the Pei Wei/Starbucks building, and whatever he does at Blockbuster will probably involve chains.  Aberson would see to it that the building is torn down, built facing the sidewalk, and filled with a mix of local businesses.

I'll be interested to see Reeves' plans, and hopefully he realizes he can get better visibility and square footage by bringing the building to the sidewalk.  It will be damn shame if that building is simply reused and there continues to be parking lot at the south gateway to Brookside....

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2011, 02:24:44 pm »

Center 1 and the Consortium are fully occupied by local businesses which is what Aberson wants.  Jerry Reeves developed the Pei Wei/Starbucks building, and whatever he does at Blockbuster will probably involve chains.  Aberson would see to it that the building is torn down, built facing the sidewalk, and filled with a mix of local businesses.

I'll be interested to see Reeves' plans, and hopefully he realizes he can get better visibility and square footage by bringing the building to the sidewalk.  It will be damn shame if that building is simply reused and there continues to be parking lot at the south gateway to Brookside....

Seems like Reeves got that idea with Starbucks & Pei Wei

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2011, 02:28:55 pm »

Seems like Reeves got that idea with Starbucks & Pei Wei

Bringing the building to the sidewalk?  It was a vacant service station before, and I think the Brookside Infill Plan carried some weight.  It still feels suburban to me with the design and side parking lot, at least compared to Aberson's developments along Peoria.

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2011, 02:43:31 pm »

There's no sense in tearing down the existing building. Jerry and his partner Dale are too smart for that. Bank...ATT....and a third tenant most likely. Credit counts....
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2011, 02:45:37 pm »

I'll be damned, had no idea. My bad.

Aberson did redevelop into Centre 1 with the owner/church (behind the property).

Aberson has a master lease on Centre 1 ......

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2011, 03:19:55 pm »

There's no sense in tearing down the existing building. Jerry and his partner Dale are too smart for that. Bank...ATT....and a third tenant most likely. Credit counts....

Not what Brookside needs at all....can anywhere in this city not become generic Anyplace USA??  

Maybe it was naive to expect anything more than strip retail...I still that location is perfect for a small hotel with retail at street level.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 03:58:11 pm by SXSW » Logged

swampee
Citizen

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2011, 05:11:38 pm »

I have heard that it will be a bank and an At&t store. The building will be used and the parking lot the same. The middle of brookside really sucks with the horrible Quicktrip expansion on the west and this on the east if true.

swampee
Citizen

« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2011, 05:12:34 pm »

Sorry already posted

YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2011, 07:08:25 pm »

Finally, a place to purchase cell phones.

ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2011, 07:32:09 pm »

I disagree. I think that there is sense in tearing down this building and putting in something that is more urban and that will actually contribute to Brookside. Outside of Downtown I cannot think of any real quality development that has happenned in this city in the last couple years. Like SXSW said everything we build in this city is completely generic. What happenned to Tulsa being America's most beautiful city? That is why this building should be torn down. Tulsa was not named America's most beautiful city because of strip malls and AT&ts on ever freaking corner...!
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2011, 07:34:40 pm »

Finally, a place to purchase cell phones.

Just can't beat 101st and Memorial though...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2011, 07:39:39 pm »

Just can't beat 101st and Memorial though...

101st & Memorial is too far in the boonies for many TNF members to travel for a phone.  They need something closer.
 Cheesy

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2011, 08:06:39 pm »

I disagree. I think that there is sense in tearing down this building and putting in something that is more urban and that will actually contribute to Brookside. Outside of Downtown I cannot think of any real quality development that has happenned in this city in the last couple years. Like SXSW said everything we build in this city is completely generic. What happenned to Tulsa being America's most beautiful city? That is why this building should be torn down. Tulsa was not named America's most beautiful city because of strip malls and AT&ts on ever freaking corner...!

Yep, this is a lost opportunity.  The only good news is that this "remodel" will be cheap and that there will be the possibility that a better developer, like Henry Aberson, will buy the property and put it to better use.  

That whole section around 36th is awful from an urban standpoint.  The streetscape extending south past 36th with more street trees, pavers in the intersection, and getting rid of the left turn lane on Peoria would be big improvements.  Both the Blockbuster and the church offer opportunities for urban infill that fronts the sidewalk and better defines the street; not the church itself but the metal building to the south.  If the church was smart they would realize they have prime Brookside frontage and would construct a building up to the sidewalk and corner of 36th Pl with retail space at street level and church functions on the second floor with parking to the east.

Brookside is a major asset for midtown and one of Tulsa's most popular districts.  It needs to be getting better not adding AT&T stores and banks that you can find everywhere else in town...

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2011, 09:41:18 pm »

Yep, this is a lost opportunity.  The only good news is that this "remodel" will be cheap and that there will be the possibility that a better developer, like Henry Aberson, will buy the property and put it to better use.  

That whole section around 36th is awful from an urban standpoint.  The streetscape extending south past 36th with more street trees, pavers in the intersection, and getting rid of the left turn lane on Peoria would be big improvements.  Both the Blockbuster and the church offer opportunities for urban infill that fronts the sidewalk and better defines the street; not the church itself but the metal building to the south.  If the church was smart they would realize they have prime Brookside frontage and would construct a building up to the sidewalk and corner of 36th Pl with retail space at street level and church functions on the second floor with parking to the east.

Brookside is a major asset for midtown and one of Tulsa's most popular districts.  It needs to be getting better not adding AT&T stores and banks that you can find everywhere else in town...

As TTC pointed out, Aberson holds a master lease, he's not a property owner and until proven otherwise, I don't think he's got the kind of $$ necessary to be a serious player on Brookside other than being a lease-holder.  I believe the center he re-developed was already up to the sidewalk, and apparently was in partnership with the church.

I agree, a phone store and bank along with something else bland in a building and lot which resembles a Car Mart really sucks.  I had higher hopes for it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2011, 10:39:57 pm »

I have heard that it will be a bank and an At&t store. The building will be used and the parking lot the same. The middle of brookside really sucks with the horrible Quicktrip expansion on the west and this on the east if true.
Middle? Brookside, in my estimation, is only a few blocks long. At least there are only a few blocks, all north of QT, worthy of any type of neighborhood name.

You can call the area of Peoria south of QT Brookside if you want, but I'll call it generic Tulsa.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org