A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:38:37 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "W" the movie  (Read 2091 times)
mrburns918
« on: October 20, 2008, 03:11:39 pm »

So the girlfriend wanted to see the movie "W" and I figured why not since I actually thought Stone's take on Nixon was somewhat fair not to mention a great movie. Also, we can't forget the great World Trade Center movie he made which had a pro America/Christian theme. I figured what the hey, I will give this movie a chance.

It doesn't slam "W" the way you think it would, especially if you have seen the trailer for the movie. It's doesn't get deep into his faults as a President with the exception of Weapons of mass destruction. The WOMD issue in the film portrays the President as believing that Iraq is an opportunity for democracy to spread in the middle east while ridding WOMD. Stone could have easily went down the path of the President and his cronies profiteering from the war but doesn't. Instead, Stone focuses on the group that surrounds the President and the mishandling/rush to war that Rumsfield,Cheney and others were eager to do. Colin Powell is portrayed in the movie as the only one who sees the potential of not only a political disaster but also the cost of human lives. Because of his questioning and demanding that Bush wait until proof, the others turn on him. Reluctantly Powell falls in line and as we all know gives the diastrous United Nations speech. The film does not go beyond his first term in office.

You get a sense of admiration for "W" because of his ADHD tunnel vision and what he wants to do in life and does after cleaning up his act despite the odds and people like his father who say he can't or shouldn't. It doesn't matter that they don't believe in him, he throws himself into it but the pain of not having Dad's approval is there and the primary point in the film. This tunnel vision and with help from the snake Karl Rove, sends "W" on a path to the White House.

Stone handles Bush being "saved" by his preacher in a respectful manner. It is a very powerful scene.

In my opinion Condi Rice is slammed hardest compared to the others in the film. She comes off as a person with no insight, a cheerleader and "yes" person to Bush.

The film really seemed to lack any depth of character. It was pretty boring really. I started to think about it more afterward and realized that Bush really doesn't have much depth so maybe the movie makes sense. Not that this is a bad thing, it is what it is, a man going through the motions in life, privileged, going after what he wants and with the help of some powerful, manipulating friends ends up being President.

Bush doesn't come off as too smart a guy in this film but it's not in a vicious way, he is the exact person we see on television. He is a what you see is what you get type of guy, great personality and fun to be around, has his faults, and you can't help but have a bit of sympathy and admiration for him when seeing this movie.

I don't recommend seeing this movie not because of any type of slant on Bush's life and presidency, it's pretty much just a boring film. No real juice. Maybe Stone should have made a conspiracy movie about "W", it probably would have been more entertaining.

So, in closing I give this film a two slices of Shotgun Sam's pizza out of five slices. Wait for it on DVD or better yet, HBO.

I still think Bush is one of the worst Presidents ever, but one good thing about Stone's portrayal of Bush, it made me appreciate his tenacity. Who woulda thunk it?

Mr. Burns
Bob Barr for President

rwarn17588
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 04:50:40 pm »

I just have never liked Oliver Stone's style, save for "Platoon." It helped that a lot of Vietnam vets, including ones I knew, thought it was dead-on.

Stone is kinda like Michael Bay. I've seen a few of his movies, and have no desire to see others.

Clint Eastwood as a director, on the other hand ... [^]
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:13:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

I just have never liked Oliver Stone's style, save for "Platoon." It helped that a lot of Vietnam vets, including ones I knew, thought it was dead-on.

Stone is kinda like Michael Bay. I've seen a few of his movies, and have no desire to see others.

Clint Eastwood as a director, on the other hand ... [^]

It also helps that Stone was a Vietnam Vet himself, and not just some paper-pusher like alot of these other filmmakers.  He was a soldier in the 1st Cavalry and was awarded the Bronze Star for Gallantry and a Purple Heart.

So I'm guessing the reason he got Platoon so dead on was because he lived it.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org