A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2017, 04:53:01 am
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better Streetlights for Tulsa  (Read 95971 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #420 on: June 10, 2017, 09:14:12 pm »

I personally am really excited about this. A would genuinely feel comfortable living next to something like a 2700k RSW. Especially more so given the refracting lenses on that fixture allow the LEDs to be tucked up into the fixture without compromising optical controls.

By the looks of the new crib sheets for the RSW they're also still pushing around 100 lumens per watt even at 2700k. There really is no reasoning to be still installing the 4000k glare bombs.

I think I mentioned before, but one of the places I stay has the 5k daytime clone lights.  I sleep under one with about 30 ft lateral separation.  Have woken in the middle of the night and thought it was morning, but really doesn't bother me too much.  Not pretty or at all complementary to the surroundings, but evening gunfire in the distance usually takes my mind off the lights...

“When you wage war on the public schools, you're attacking the mortar that holds the community together. You're not a conservative, you're a vandal.”    - Garrison Keillor

Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say.
Cetary
Activist

« Reply #421 on: June 12, 2017, 10:00:23 pm »

Blue-rich white light has its place in society, but it doesn't belong anywhere near people at night. We just need to keep pushing. Meanwhile in PC Amber LED news...

... a citywide deployment. O.O

http://www.lighting.philips.es/proyectos/proyectos/carreteras-y-calles/realejos-led-pc-ambar

https://www.cazurro.com/2017/03/06/led-pc-ambar-en-los-realejos-tenerife/

Now if we could get our elected officials to install these low impact night lights without being pressured by an observatory. That is unless you're a certain US city that has no concern for protecting scientific jobs, I'm looking at you San Jose, with your blue-rich 4000k lighting.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 10:06:36 pm by Cetary » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #422 on: June 13, 2017, 06:04:35 pm »

Blue-rich white light has its place in society, but it doesn't belong anywhere near people at night. We just need to keep pushing. Meanwhile in PC Amber LED news...

Now if we could get our elected officials to install these low impact night lights without being pressured by an observatory. That is unless you're a certain US city that has no concern for protecting scientific jobs, I'm looking at you San Jose, with your blue-rich 4000k lighting.

If we could just get it along the river, we would look like a city with our act together. 
I still havent seen the lighting plan for The Gathering Place but if its the same welding-torch theme as the bluish LEDs on Riverside...

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Cetary
Activist

« Reply #423 on: June 15, 2017, 10:39:04 pm »

I stumbled across an interesting picture from Chicago. It seems that for a while they were installing incandescant looking  2800k ceramic metal halide . These are some of those lights at dusk. Bear in mind the optics are wayy too out of date, but it shows how they've come full circle. Looks almost like a better alternate timeline in which the warm white color and color rendering quality of incandescent never left us.

Against actual incandescent street lights of 50s vintage before the icky blueish-green mercury vapor.

I just hope these pictures put to rest, to any of the remaining skeptics still out there, that we can efficiently match the color qualities and characteristics of incandescent lighting with modern efficient sources.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 10:51:28 pm by Cetary » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #424 on: June 25, 2017, 03:45:20 pm »

I just hope these pictures put to rest, to any of the remaining skeptics still out there, that we can efficiently match the color qualities and characteristics of incandescent lighting with modern efficient sources.

But everyone's so proud of spending that federal energy grant money on first-generation (and now obsolete) LED streetlighting that turned the streets into one big Blue Light Special.
OK, some of those civic leaders had their heart in the right place, but their research was off.

Which brings me to this

A risky fix to repair a city's gutted streetlight grid
http://www.newson6.com/story/35744709/a-risky-fix-to-repair-a-citys-gutted-streetlight-grid

Its a story about expressway lighting (which is not the city streetlight grid, Justin) but I want to address the random uninformed person-on-the-street comments that seem so vital to TV news:

' Tulsa is scrambling to make patchwork repairs to its decimated grid, opting for a quick fix to appease frustrated motorists, including 48-year-old resident Bill White, who says broken streetlights could become a liability for the city and a hazard for drivers. '

There's no statutory requirement for the city to light streets or expressways.  If anything, municipalities take on liability by adding streetlights and then not maintaining them, so it make sense for the city to not add streetlights just on the whim of someone who thinks it would be neat to have one in their front yard.

The standard is still a case in California where "Plaintiffs sued (the government) for allegedly failing to provide adequate lighting with overhead street lights" but the court found that there was no duty to provide lighting.

http://caselaw.findlaw.com/ca-court-of-appeal/1604392.html

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Cetary
Activist

« Reply #425 on: June 27, 2017, 05:26:42 pm »

If anything else, at least we have plenty of examples of how not to do it. Meanwhile in San Francisco

http://www.ktvu.com/news/ktvu-local-news/263022747-story

So it looks like the municipal arm of San Fran. is making the switch to 3000 kelvin LED street lights, and by the looks of it the first fixtures are from Philips lighting, so they should have very nice color qualities. I will concede Philips has the most refined and advanced mainstream phosphors on it's chips. Another little nod to SF, is that they're actually in the process of buying back their streetlights so a power company no longer has carte blanche over an element of public infrastructure, good riddance. Furthermore, SF also dabbled with the very early 1st Gen Blue-rich LED street lights very early on. It could've gone very wrong very early. It's good to see that they saw the light.

You can certainly see the strong, at times logically overriding, physcological effects lighting at night has on people.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:29:21 pm by Cetary » Logged
Cetary
Activist

« Reply #426 on: June 27, 2017, 05:44:31 pm »

Some more warm white light, 2700-3200k.

This one incorporates one of Patric's early ideas of using warm white tape LEDs as descrete low profile under lighting. And this is all in Italy the same country that desecrated nighttime Rome with the 4000k glare bombs several years later.

Vs Rome several years later, for shame.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 06:16:53 pm by Cetary » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org