A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:18:56 am
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better Streetlights for Tulsa  (Read 458223 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #345 on: September 26, 2016, 08:37:46 am »

Over the weekend I installed 2700k LED lights. They look identical to their incandescent bulbs they replaced. If anything, the 4 Watt replacements are a touch brighter than the 40 watts. But the color is spot on. No one will know that they are LED (not that I'd care if they did).

Cot was $7 per bulb, which is 4x the cost of the same incandescent bulb. The incandescent bulbs lasted one year like a religion. These should last 10 times as long. If I get half of that, I come out ahead and don't have to change the lightbulbs 5 times (minor inconvenience, but I was changing out street lights...).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #346 on: September 26, 2016, 08:53:59 am »

Over the weekend I installed 2700k LED lights. They look identical to their incandescent bulbs they replaced. If anything, the 4 Watt replacements are a touch brighter than the 40 watts. But the color is spot on. No one will know that they are LED (not that I'd care if they did).

Cot was $7 per bulb, which is 4x the cost of the same incandescent bulb. The incandescent bulbs lasted one year like a religion. These should last 10 times as long. If I get half of that, I come out ahead and don't have to change the lightbulbs 5 times (minor inconvenience, but I was changing out street lights...).

What brand did you buy?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #347 on: September 26, 2016, 09:15:25 am »

Kichler.

The one reviewer on the Lowes says their bulb didn't work, I'm 4 for 4. The bit about the base being exposed is true, I took one of the socket covers off to make sure it was seating all the way, which it was. Not a big deal for me as it is in an overhead light fixture. Not sure it would bother me anyway, just different.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #348 on: September 26, 2016, 11:08:23 am »

These are my favorite at home

Home Despot has had them for $5-6 depending on when you buy.  2700K.  A bluer version is available at higher cost.

For streetlights,
LEDs offer a lot more advantages than tubes and bulbs as far as aiming and controlling glare, while some dont seem to even take that into account.  Buyer beware.

There are fixtures ("luminaires") available that let you dial in your cutoff and distribution patterns.  One example comes in all sorts of color temperatures (even down to 2K which is amber...perfect for rural settings, the zoo, Woolaroc etc.) but 3K is the goal.

http://www.nightwise.org/single-post/2016/03/09/Finally-a-Better-LED-Streetlight

http://www.kimlighting.com/products/warp9

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #349 on: September 26, 2016, 11:19:49 am »

These are my favorite at home

Home Despot has had them for $5-6 depending on when you buy.  2700K.  A bluer version is available at higher cost.

For streetlights,
LEDs offer a lot more advantages than tubes and bulbs as far as aiming and controlling glare, while some dont seem to even take that into account.  Buyer beware.

There are fixtures ("luminaires") available that let you dial in your cutoff and distribution patterns.  One example comes in all sorts of color temperatures (even down to 2K which is amber...perfect for rural settings, the zoo, Woolaroc etc.) but 3K is the goal.

http://www.nightwise.org/single-post/2016/03/09/Finally-a-Better-LED-Streetlight

http://www.kimlighting.com/products/warp9

I'll look into those Phillips.  I had been buying Cree, but with no knowledge of what K I should get.  Does it say anywhere on the packaging?

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #350 on: September 26, 2016, 11:48:17 am »

I'll look into those Phillips.  I had been buying Cree, but with no knowledge of what K I should get.  Does it say anywhere on the packaging?

Flipside

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Cetary
Activist

« Reply #351 on: October 04, 2016, 09:33:36 am »

It's interesting you mentioned the Kim Warp 9 as they use those on slip fitters in place of the usual cobra heads where I live. On a side note, they also produce a PC Amber model.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 09:35:10 am by Cetary » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #352 on: October 04, 2016, 12:27:50 pm »

It's interesting you mentioned the Kim Warp 9 as they use those on slip fitters in place of the usual cobra heads where I live. On a side note, they also produce a PC Amber model.

Id be interested in seeing a different photo of that, or where it is.  Maybe PM?

Cetary
Activist

« Reply #353 on: October 04, 2016, 02:14:34 pm »

Sure, here's a pic. of the PC amber installation at night.

It may look totally monochromatic, but most PC amber LEDs actually have a emissions spectrum of about this.

They have  a CRI of about 40 as a result. I can PM you pics of the daytime cobra-head slip fitters in my area. The ones in my area are really blue 5000k models with heavy glare shields on their lips.
Cetary
Activist

« Reply #354 on: October 04, 2016, 02:21:07 pm »

Here's another PC amber fixture, this time from Phillips. Very orangey and mellow. PC amber LEDs are said to look similar to HPS albeit with a substantially higher CRI.

http://idaquebec.org/fr/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Lumec-ambre.jpg
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:23:36 pm by Cetary » Logged
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #355 on: October 13, 2016, 09:51:48 am »

For our nature lovers in Midtown, I might add that amber lighting is also owl-friendly...

http://myfwc.com/conservation/you-conserve/lighting/

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #356 on: October 13, 2016, 11:27:27 am »

For our nature lovers in Midtown, I might add that amber lighting is also owl-friendly...

http://myfwc.com/conservation/you-conserve/lighting/

Yeah, well, they chopped down their habitat so moot point.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #357 on: October 13, 2016, 07:13:00 pm »

Yeah, well, they chopped down their habitat so moot point.

Yes it was selfish of them.  Now we also have this ecosystem in the form of a river, where bald eagles roost and other critters migrate.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #358 on: October 13, 2016, 07:44:58 pm »

Yes it was selfish of them.  Now we also have this ecosystem in the form of a river, where bald eagles roost and other critters migrate.

For the time being.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Cetary
Activist

« Reply #359 on: October 16, 2016, 12:22:25 pm »

It looks like GE is finally offering 3000 kelvin versions of their Evolve cobrahead series. It really wasn't up until recent their best offering was 4000k.

http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWeb/na/solutions/outdoor-lighting/street-roadway/evolve-led-streetlight-erl1.jsp

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org