A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:12:23 pm
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Better Streetlights for Tulsa  (Read 458123 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #210 on: February 25, 2013, 01:08:40 pm »

I want one to go with the lava lamps!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #211 on: March 03, 2013, 11:17:12 am »

Turn Down the City Lights and Make Streets Safer
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-24/turn-down-the-city-lights-and-make-streets-safer.html

No one doubts that artificial light can reduce the risks of being out at night, and no one is saying that we ought to exist in the dark. But increasingly, police, doctors, astronomers, economists, business leaders, communities and now the French government agree that we should reduce the light we use, and that too much brightness at night actually reduces our safety and security. Bright lights may make us feel safer. Alone, however, they don’t actually make us safer.

The research bears this out. In 2008, PG&E Corp. (PCG), the San Francisco-based energy company, reviewed the research and found “either that there is no link between lighting and crime, or that any link is too subtle or complex to have been evident in the data.”

Others are even more to the point. Australian astronomer Barry Clark went so far as to conclude that “advocating lighting for crime prevention is like advocating use of a flammable liquid to try to put out a fire.”

Our own eyes tell the same story. Too much light at night actually blinds us with “disability glare” -- something middle-aged and elderly drivers know all too well -- and bright, unshielded lights make it impossible to see past them to where criminals might hide.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #212 on: May 18, 2013, 10:18:41 am »

A homeless couple living in a car parked under a streetlight were beaten
and robbed:

http://www.fox23.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=4061896

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #213 on: May 23, 2013, 10:54:52 am »

and robbed:

So.....having street lights in a city is dangerous!

It draws robbers in much the same way it draws other bugs!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #214 on: May 23, 2013, 01:00:01 pm »

and robbed:

Living in a car in an alley near Admiral and Pittsburg has more to do with it than being parked under a light.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #215 on: May 23, 2013, 03:30:30 pm »

Living in a car in an alley near Admiral and Pittsburg has more to do with it than being parked under a light.

It's harder to beat folks in the dark.

The "streetlight" the people were parked under in the alley behind Supurb Motors, was not actually a "streetlight."  It was the Supurb (yes that's how they spell it) Motors security light.

It seems that nightfall at Admiral and Pittsburg would be rather scary for this Southie, even well-armed.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #216 on: June 18, 2013, 06:50:38 pm »

It's harder to beat folks in the dark.

The "streetlight" the people were parked under in the alley behind Supurb Motors, was not actually a "streetlight."  It was the Supurb (yes that's how they spell it) Motors security light.

It seems that nightfall at Admiral and Pittsburg would be rather scary for this Southie, even well-armed.

Get a Colt or Bushmaster.  I saw both in stock last weekend!  Imagine that.....

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #217 on: June 18, 2013, 08:47:22 pm »

Get a Colt or Bushmaster.  I saw both in stock last weekend!  Imagine that.....

That is the most stupid post you have ever made. There were many reasons why this happened, including people mentioning above the lighting, homeless people living in the car, the seedy neighborhood...and your answer is get a gun.

Why try to solve any social problem, just get a gun.

You are brilliant and so, so deep.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #218 on: June 18, 2013, 09:23:56 pm »

That is the most stupid post you have ever made. There were many reasons why this happened, including people mentioning above the lighting, homeless people living in the car, the seedy neighborhood...and your answer is get a gun.

Why try to solve any social problem, just get a gun.

You are brilliant and so, so deep.

Well, it was tongue in cheek until now..... it was a mildly facetious thought directed at Gaspar, who expressed the idea he might be concerned even if well-armed.  (Shame we cannot get inflection in text...)

In all seriousness - they could actually have defended themselves if they had a firearm of some sort.  But since they were homeless, it's not likely they could afford that, now is it?  And we can see by the results just how well lights worked.... and cops?  Well, even if they had a phone to call with (don't know about that one way or the other), it would be the typical situation of how the police are only minutes away when seconds count.

Shows one of the heartrending facts of our 'modern society'...as so often - the majority really - poor people prey upon other poor people.  Yeah, I know it's a generalization that more criminals tend to be from less affluent situations - at least as far at this type of violent crime.  But it is also true.

So rather than just a generic wringing of hands, how do we handle these type social situations?  Seriously.  'Cause so far, we do a pretty crappy job of it.  The poor are marginalized at the edges and don't impinge on our collective consciousness until this kind of thing occurs, then they make the headlines for a few minutes (15 minutes of fame?) and fall back by the wayside.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #219 on: June 18, 2013, 10:22:27 pm »

In all seriousness - they could actually have defended themselves if they had a firearm of some sort.  But since they were homeless, it's not likely they could afford that, now is it?  And we can see by the results just how well lights worked.... and cops?

Who would have gone to jail if they were discovered to have a loaded firearm in the vehicle they were living in?
Sometimes, the law is an s.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #220 on: June 19, 2013, 09:13:10 am »

Who would have gone to jail if they were discovered to have a loaded firearm in the vehicle they were living in?
Sometimes, the law is an s.

Good question - they could argue that since it is their primary residence, they are legally able to have it for self defense like people in other domiciles.  That would be an interesting court session, I think.

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #221 on: September 03, 2013, 09:00:10 am »

I'm not a big fan of street lights- when driving you don't even notice 'em, drivers depend on their headlights. The trail lights on the RiverSide Jogging trail are on every night- I don't see why a jogging trail has to have lights anyhow.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2013, 09:56:43 am »

I'm not a big fan of street lights- when driving you don't even notice 'em, drivers depend on their headlights. The trail lights on the RiverSide Jogging trail are on every night- I don't see why a jogging trail has to have lights anyhow.

Don't you think they might deter muggers/ne-er do wells?

Wow.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2013, 11:27:09 am »

Don't you think they might deter muggers/ne-er do wells?

Wow.

Nah, those guys are already there.  The lights attract victims.

Grin

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #224 on: September 04, 2013, 10:00:25 am »

Nah, those guys are already there.  The lights attract victims.
  Grin

The jogging trail lights serve a useful purpose in helping identify hazards and land features at night.  
They serve a secondary purpose by creating an inviting environment and extending public utilization of the park past sundown.
Both of those functions are greatly enhanced by the fact that those lights are shielded, and have reduced glare output.

Now I wouldn't say that there weren't specific circumstances where their presence didn't defer or obstruct the commission of a violent crime, but one would have to be very naive to believe that happens with any consistency.
If the lighting were to attract more "friendly eyes" into the area, however, you would be much more safe than if you were alone and in the spotlight.  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 36   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org