A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:39:03 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Crime  (Read 12049 times)
mrburns918
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2008, 08:12:13 am »

Mills Elementary in Owasso still uses a paddle. I found this out while I was driving in western OK. The principal called me via cell that my son is in trouble again. He had been in trouble the previous day and I had to go to the office. I was enraged, asked the principal what she thought should happen. She said "I can paddle him". I replied that I didn't realize you could anymore. She let me know that by state law she could and not even have to get my permission. I responded with "spank him and I will deal with him when I get back home".

I want to be clear that my son is not a trouble maker and a straight "A" student, it was if he was on a two day binge of acting out. After my experiences with catholic schools as a child I vowed that no one would ever lay a hand on my children. I can count on one hand how many times I have spanked my son. After the incident my son never got in trouble again at school. He said the spanking hurt, but it was because he was embarrassed about it that straightened him up.

Mr. Burns
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2008, 10:07:38 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mrburns918

Mills Elementary in Owasso still uses a paddle. I found this out while I was driving in western OK. The principal called me via cell that my son is in trouble again. He had been in trouble the previous day and I had to go to the office. I was enraged, asked the principal what she thought should happen. She said "I can paddle him". I replied that I didn't realize you could anymore. She let me know that by state law she could and not even have to get my permission. I responded with "spank him and I will deal with him when I get back home".

I want to be clear that my son is not a trouble maker and a straight "A" student, it was if he was on a two day binge of acting out. After my experiences with catholic schools as a child I vowed that no one would ever lay a hand on my children. I can count on one hand how many times I have spanked my son. After the incident my son never got in trouble again at school. He said the spanking hurt, but it was because he was embarrassed about it that straightened him up.

Mr. Burns

I support you. I think letting her spank the kid was a good choice. I would of done the same. Spankings seem to do wonders in my opinion that no other punishment can meet or match. Those "Time-out boxes" for punishment are a joke. I guess spanking works because it's a combo of the pain and embaresment, mostly the embaresment.[8D]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2008, 01:06:52 pm »

I think the paddling can definitely be effective when we're talking about humiliating a grade-school kid, but once you get into junior high, I think your playing with fire. Kids start to be more experimental with violence and begin to measure themselves up to adults physically.  Taking a kid into the office for an act of violence and smacking him with a paddle - the message is not clear and it could escalate the violence.  I know at the junior high I went to you might get yourself hurt trying to paddle a rough unstable 14 yr old (not to mention some parents).

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org