A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:58:02 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KTUL plays musical chairs, 13 find no seat.  (Read 7177 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 01:51:25 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gold

Great points.

I suspect a lot of it isn't that difficult.  Don't panic and hide your money under your bed.  Call out the idiot news organizations running stories about the depression -- truth be told, the economy is so different now, it's not easy to compare at all.

The hard part is the future regulation and figuring out who to hold accountable for the massive writeoffs that are to follow.  Hopefully, the body politic learned enough this time around to make that a non-partisan issue.

Even though I suspect you and I differ on some core political issues, we are in agreement on many other things.

The lessons to be learned are vast and the fall-out will continue, unfortunately, for decades I'm afraid.

Fortunately, I've lost nothing in this debacle as I've sold nothing.  

Another aspect which happened in the last year was unprecidented profiteering in oil and just about all other commodities in the last year.  I'm not talking the cost of trading paper, I'm talking the real street cost of hard commodities.  When the price and copper and steel goes up- there is little which is not impacted.  Automotive, construction, oil and gas, research, medical, on and on and on...

For instance, a certain type of steel-fabricated pressure vessel which cost $95,000 eight months ago now costs $115,000 from the same manufacturer.  That same vessel was in the neighborhood of $75K five years ago.  Even though raw steel prices are back down, it's still not trickling into real-world consumption yet.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TUalum0982
Philanthropist

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 02:07:17 pm »

HOLY ****.

I came in this thread to hear about layoffs at channel 8 and before getting to the end, I have heard about everything from some guy pooping in his pants, recession, depression, and everyone being scared!!

"You cant solve Stupid." 
"I don't do sorry, sorry is for criminals and screw ups."
iplaw
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 02:38:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TUalum0982

HOLY ****.

I came in this thread to hear about layoffs at channel 8 and before getting to the end, I have heard about everything from some guy pooping in his pants, recession, depression, and everyone being scared!!

The Internets are a cruel bidness.

Gold
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2008, 03:04:23 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by Gold

Great points.

I suspect a lot of it isn't that difficult.  Don't panic and hide your money under your bed.  Call out the idiot news organizations running stories about the depression -- truth be told, the economy is so different now, it's not easy to compare at all.

The hard part is the future regulation and figuring out who to hold accountable for the massive writeoffs that are to follow.  Hopefully, the body politic learned enough this time around to make that a non-partisan issue.

Even though I suspect you and I differ on some core political issues, we are in agreement on many other things.

The lessons to be learned are vast and the fall-out will continue, unfortunately, for decades I'm afraid.

Fortunately, I've lost nothing in this debacle as I've sold nothing.  

Another aspect which happened in the last year was unprecidented profiteering in oil and just about all other commodities in the last year.  I'm not talking the cost of trading paper, I'm talking the real street cost of hard commodities.  When the price and copper and steel goes up- there is little which is not impacted.  Automotive, construction, oil and gas, research, medical, on and on and on...

For instance, a certain type of steel-fabricated pressure vessel which cost $95,000 eight months ago now costs $115,000 from the same manufacturer.  That same vessel was in the neighborhood of $75K five years ago.  Even though raw steel prices are back down, it's still not trickling into real-world consumption yet.

I think it depends on what you define core political issues as.

I think there is plenty of room for bipartisan agreement on fiscal and energy policy.  For example, there is literally only one way to solve the energy issue, with lots of little sub-parts that confuse the whole discussion; renewables aren't anywhere near being close to what some paint them to be and drilling off shore isn't going to make that big of a dent (though we should still do it).   Same thing with fiscal policy: we need more oversight of loans, etc. -- if a certain bank is "too big to fail," then it is probably also "too big not to be regulated."

I'd rather our government be pragmatic about these issues than waste time on distractions like whether Elian Gonzalez is in the right place or whether it approves of Florida's policy on end of life care.  We elect these peoples to help with our problems -- notbattle some moralistic crusade.

Interesting point on the price of stuff going up, but some raw material costs going down.  (Or is the dollar bouncing back while everyone else tanks?)  My wife hired a cleaning lady in the middle of the summer.  She explained that she needed to charge $10 more than she did the friend who sent her to us because the cost of fuel has gone up.  It made me wonder when I saw oil fall 50% off the high: do we get to pay $10 less now?  (Silly, but bare with me.)

A lot of places that had to raise prices when things got expensive last year (and the dollar tanked).  Depending on what market you are looking at, some may not lower prices until they have to out of competition, and in some really specialized markets like the widget you explain, I suspect they'll try to rake in the profits while they can.

There are probably some interesting opportunities with all this volatility for an investor much wiser than myself or Boone Pickens. [Wink]
Wilbur
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2008, 03:24:54 pm »

Two questions:

1.  Anyone have the 13 names?

2.  Is this thread still on topic?
Porky
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2008, 03:49:11 pm »

That link has already been taken down, does anyone have another link to this?
ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 11:25:44 am »

Let's hope Carol Lambert will move on.
In regard to the next prez........we need a leader...Obama aint thr guy!

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 12:48:28 pm »

I found out one person I know was one of the lucky 13. He was like 3rd or 4th in the pecking order.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 02:10:47 pm »

TULSANOW FORUM... "Where thread-drift is a way of life"

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Porky
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 03:33:28 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

I found out one person I know was one of the lucky 13. He was like 3rd or 4th in the pecking order.

Have you heard if Kevin King was one of them? I've noticed his name hasn't been posted with the latest news stories.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 03:37:15 pm »

New Link:

http://newsok.com/tulsa-tv-station-announces-layoffs/article/3311971

Clint Boone was the only on-air talent.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org