A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:56:13 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Garden store on 15th Street  (Read 14762 times)
Enid
« on: October 09, 2008, 06:58:08 am »

HI,
I have a small garden store on 15th Street and its time to renew my lease for another year or two and I'm very concerned about the current economic crisis.  On one hand I've already used all my stock/mutual funds to open my store, so I don't have to worry about losing it in the stock market, however sales were really off in Aug/Sept, and are sorta picking up now.

Any ideas, opinions or thoughts on what will happen to very small businesses in Tulsa?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 07:03:40 am »

Tulsa will be largely unaffected. None of the banks feeling the crunch have a significant Tulsa presence, nor are we supported by industries dependant on those banks (auto manufacturing, etc)

Tulsa homes and their values are actually still in a growth phase, likely somewhat due to the above factors.

There will be fluctuations and people will be worried, but it is not a time to bailout in Tulsa, especially in an industry like yours.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 07:11:43 am »

I largely agree with Grizzle.  However, keep in mind that flowers, chimineas and such items are a luxury for many people.  Not a need.  So there is a risk involved there.

I would relay these concerns to your property owner.  See if you can get a small break or if there is a built in increase remain flat.  It never hurts to ask - but don't threaten to leave unless you mean it.  At which point, just tell him you need a discount or you can not continue to operate.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 07:48:56 am »

I bought a beautiful hanging plant from you last spring that is just doing great. I was very impressed with the selection you had and the health of you rplants.

I promise to come back in and buy another.

Power is nothing till you use it.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 07:59:02 am »

Is this the Urban Garden near Harvard? Have you considered being open on Sundays?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 08:40:50 am »

Great stock of items, great quality, and your business is a credit to the neighborhood.  My only criticism is needing to be open on Sundays.  I hate to think how much business filtered off to HD and Lowe's from you guys on Sundays during high season.

August and Sept are not strong planting months (okay, late Sept is) so that's to be expected.  Plus it's so hot, people want to shop inside in August.  Back to school and the fair are also going to hurt your business.

I love your succulent arrangements and I really, really hope you guys stay around.  I certainly understand the risk involved.  That land sat empty and non-income producing for awhile, is there anyway to negotiate a "March-Nov." lease?  Are you guys going to do holiday items like Halloween, Thanksgiving, or Xmas?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Enid
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 12:38:54 pm »

I hadn't considered asking for a discount on the lease.  Sunday is the only day I get to see my family, as I am still doing other work on the side, but I will consider staying open on Sunday during planting season.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 03:56:35 pm »

Where on 15th st?

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 09:16:50 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

Where on 15th st?

NW corner 15th & Gary Ave.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Enid
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 07:15:14 am »

Yes we have pumpkins, Halloween or OSU pansies, and Kale right now.  Also we are adding more gift items for fall and Christmas.  I hope to have fresh wreaths and garland for Christmas.  I was going to carry cut Christmas trees but the minimum requirement was virtually a small forest from Oregon!
Enid
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 07:16:31 am »

By the way, I love having my store and being in the 15th Street area.  Everyone was the neighborhood has been very nice and supportive and I appreciate it very much.  Its nice to get a different perspective from everyone on this forum.  Thanks!
orion
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 05:53:24 pm »

Jeez you will do fine in this area....Thank god Tulsa is relatively safe from most of the economic craziness..I am happy to see another new business in the hood..I think a lot of us in this area really really try to support local business..with that corridor you are in..man  Harvard Meats, Umbertos, right along that area there is so much exciting stuff going on as well as 11th street...I think  you will do well..I know first year in business is nuts but you should do well..I can't wait to start getting my garden back in shape..don't have to go the great devil Lowe's - ha..
Enid
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 06:52:11 am »

Thanks, we should have annuals and shrubs next Friday, April 3rd, we were going to get them this week but the weather caused us to back off a week.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 07:21:08 am »

Good decision backing off a week!

Gardening is supposed to be up this year in general.  Seed use as well, but most people will find their seed stock lackluster and probably go out and buy some plants.  I usual start herbs, sunflowers, and melons from seed - but peppers and tomatoes need powerful grow lights to get to planting size (IMHO) and I'm not willing to sacrifice the space in my house for that.

This weekend was supposed to be my planting weekend, not so much now.  But I'll see you in a week or so!

(ps. look at it this way, if you would have kept everything in the market you would have ALREADY lost it.  So at least now its up to you.  Glad to see your back another year)

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Rico
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2009, 01:23:17 pm »

don't really know how this would fit into the conversation regarding plants and gardening......... however, "Under The Sun", has filed for several special exceptions to allow for tent style sale of plants and gardening material with the Board Of Adjustments (4/28 agenda) .

Not really that much of a big deal other than the address is 1414 S Utica..

Isn't that the area being readied for the Medical Office building?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org