A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:04:56 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 20 Days Until Tulsa Oktoberfest  (Read 6438 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« on: September 26, 2008, 01:30:16 pm »

I have people in town every year for Oktoberfest.  I brew an Oktoberfest beer.  I like Oktoberfest and Tulsa does a damn good job.  Munich kicked off this week so, to hold you over 20 days:
http://damncoolpics.blogspot.com/2008/09/oktoberfest-2008-in-munich.html

(warning, lots of German folk cleavage, OK, mostly German folk cleavage)

Happy Friday.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 01:36:44 pm »

FYI, for those of you not in the know... Tulsa's Oktoberfest is well regarded nationally.  Met a guy there last year from Munich.  He said Tulsa was weak compared to Munich, but was as much fun as he had ever had outside the the Wiesn.  Considering he's been all over, I'll take it!

quote:
askmen.com
At Number 2
Tulsa, OK
 Oktoberfest: October 20th-23rd

It's a surprising spot for Oktoberfest, but there are few cities that host a better German festival than Tulsa. In fact, Bon Appetit magazine calls it one of the top German food festivals in the U.S. and USA Today included the city in its list of Top 10 places in the world to celebrate Oktoberfest.

To support these accolades, Tulsa brings in several bands from Bavaria, sets up a slew of cool European shops and kiosks, and offers 20 food stands for your dining pleasure. As visitors munch on Landjaeger (German-style beef jerky) and Kassler Rippchen (grilled, smoked pork chop), they can take in beer barrel-racing, the ceremonial keg-tapping and an extensive parade. Put it all together, and it's clear that Tulsa goes all out for an annual Oktoberfest to remember.

Must-do: Check out the straight-from-Bavaria bands that solely visit Tulsa and experience what their unique sound is all about.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Steve
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 01:52:11 pm »

I have lived in Tulsa 51 years, but don't think I have ever attended an Oktoberfest.  May just have to for the hell of it.

You are right about the regard for Tulsa's version.  Many web news and travel sites that put out "top 20" lists of festivals and tourist draws usually always have Tulsa's Oktoberfest somewhere on the list.  And the Tulsa State Fair usually makes decent rankings on these sites too.

Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 01:54:24 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

I have people in town every year for Oktoberfest.  I brew an Oktoberfest beer.  I like Oktoberfest and Tulsa does a damn good job.  Munich kicked off this week so, to hold you over 20 days:

Happy Friday.

Wunder busen!  

Aktuelle!

Come to Tulsa's Oktoberfest 2008 Thursday October 16 - Sunday Oct. 19, 2008!

River Parks West.

Zu befehl!

[Shocked)]

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 02:00:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

I have lived in Tulsa 51 years, but don't think I have ever attended an Oktoberfest.  

Shaaaaaame

You sir, have never truly lived in Tulsa then.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 02:51:26 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

Happy Friday.

What's with all the lesbos in lieterhosen?

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Marshall has an Oktoberfest Brew which is outstanding.  But the beer will not be at Oktoberfest [Sad]

I still need to get by your house and make sure your keg cooler is up to code.  It's about a 10 beer process to make certain.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 03:14:21 pm »

I hope none of the tents blow over this year...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 03:19:07 pm »

ahhhhh, a fun conversation crapped on

thanks
Wilbur
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 03:58:20 pm »

I avoided Oktoberfest for years because of the stories I heard of what a drunkfest it was.  Then, one year, my wife and I went early on a Saturday and had a blast.  We've been every year since early on Saturday, until last year, when, do to a conflict, went on Saturday evening.

WHAT A MISTAKE!

Absolutely too many drunks every place.  You stand in huge lines for ever for everything.  I will never go back during the evening, but will always go back during the day.

One suggestion:  Because of Oklahoma's antique liquor laws, Oktoberfest would be much better if they had more REAL beer to drink.  We always hit the Spaten tent, but it is the only real beer in the entire place.  More varieties would make it better.
Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 05:08:28 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wilbur

I avoided Oktoberfest for years because of the stories I heard of what a drunkfest it was.  Then, one year, my wife and I went early on a Saturday and had a blast.  We've been every year since early on Saturday, until last year, when, do to a conflict, went on Saturday evening.

WHAT A MISTAKE!

Absolutely too many drunks every place.  You stand in huge lines for ever for everything.  I will never go back during the evening, but will always go back during the day.

One suggestion:  Because of Oklahoma's antique liquor laws, Oktoberfest would be much better if they had more REAL beer to drink.  We always hit the Spaten tent, but it is the only real beer in the entire place.  More varieties would make it better.

You're right about totally different daytime and nightime crowds.

The evening group is younger, louder, and drunker.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 05:21:28 pm »

1) Night time at Oktoberfest is for drunks.  If you don't want that, stay away.  But fun drunks are part of what make it such a great time.

2) Daytime during Oktoberfest is for cultural activities, rides, families, and a fair like atmosphere.  If you want to be a drunk come back at night or keep to yourself.  Family activities are part of what make it such a great time.

3) They are working on getting more beer.  At first it was no German beer.  Then Spaten.  Last year there was two.  I HOPE they get more and mostly German beer, as well as Marshall and Choc.

Oklahoma blue laws are stupid, they are NOT part of what make it such a great time.

4) Conan:  give me a call and come over for some brew any time.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 08:55:22 pm »

Agreed on the beer selection. I think only one tent out of all of them has any decent beers. I always end up walking across the festival grounds every time I want a refill.

Also, I would think the fact that most people are drinking 3.2 macrobrews would completely ruin any chance of it being considered remotely respectable by German standards.

AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 12:20:32 pm »

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 01:05:12 pm »

Someone needs to get Steve tickets to corporate night.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 02:12:34 pm »

Someone needs to get cannon_fodder tickets to corporate night.  [Wink]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org