A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:30:28 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You might be a Tulsan...  (Read 9480 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: September 21, 2008, 09:11:18 pm »

If any of the following apply to you:

If you think 71st and Memorial is safer than Admiral and Sheridan
If you think being the city with the most philanthropic giving of any in the US is a bad thing.
If you signed a petition to recall Gomez or Patrick but not Randi Miller.
If you never go south of 51st.
If you never go north of 41st.
If you think the Albertson's in North Tulsa being vacant is the fault of the city and not economics or capitalism.
If you think the millionaires should keep their same level of giving, but you should have a voice in what they give it to.
If you think that spending money on new transit options is a bad idea now and in 15 years will be complaining that we don't have more in place.
If you can't name a single place to eat in Tulsa that isn't with 10 minutes from your house/work.
If you think a mayor working for no salary donating millions to City projects is doing it all for selfish reasons.
If you think replacing old cottages with giant estates makes midtown nice.
If you think stopping anyone from doing anything is a solution in midtown.
If you leave your house at 7:40, get to work at 8, and still complain about "the traffic."
If you think North/East/West/Downtown (pick one) should just be left to die out, because that doesn't effect you.

... You might be a Tulsan.
MDepr2007
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 10:47:50 pm »

Midtown complain?
dbacks fan
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 08:45:32 am »

I was thinking "You might be a Tulsan if you know what 'MA-HU' means.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 09:59:49 am »

I was never sure if a Tulsa resident was called a "Tulsan" or a Tulsaite". I'm not even sure what a Houston resident is called, A "Houstionan" or a "Houstonite"! A Dallas resident is called a "Dallasite" A Columbus, Ohio resident is called a "Buckeye"[Smiley]

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
ARGUS
Civic Leader

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 10:09:56 am »

sgrizzle, send that list to Urban Tulsa; more of US need to think about things like that and TULSA'S BEST INTERESTS.
Good Post.

tim huntzinger
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 12:07:48 pm »

Yeaaaah but what does it take to be THE Tulsan?
Skip Towne
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 11:36:06 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sauerkraut

I was never sure if a Tulsa resident was called a "Tulsan" or a Tulsaite". I'm not even sure what a Houston resident is called, A "Houstionan" or a "Houstonite"! A Dallas resident is called a "Dallasite" A Columbus, Ohio resident is called a "Buckeye"[Smiley]

Is a Tampa Bay resident a Tampon?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 01:03:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

1) If you never go south of 51st.

2) If you think replacing old cottages with giant estates makes midtown nice.
3) If you think stopping anyone from doing anything is a solution in midtown.
If you leave your house at 7:40, get to work at 8, and still complain about "the traffic."

1) Guilty.  I probably venture south of 51st street 4 times a month.  Most of that is a stop over.

2 + 3 are kind of mutually exclusive and somewhat all encompassing.  Ergo, everyone is a Tulsa.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
breitee
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 02:53:58 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by dbacks fan

MAbel and HUgh Hodges, owners of the huge limestone mansion that sat upon the hill across from Oertle's at 25th and Memorial. They both died in 1970 and the mansion was left to rot, becoming Scream in the Dark for a few Halloweens, then finally succumbing to the elements. It was torn down in 1978 after a series of fires.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 02:54:19 pm by breitee » Logged
dbacks fan
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 03:13:13 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by breitee

quote:
Originally posted by dbacks fan

MAbel and HUgh Hodges, owners of the huge limestone mansion that sat upon the hill across from Oertle's at 25th and Memorial. They both died in 1970 and the mansion was left to rot, becoming Scream in the Dark for a few Halloweens, then finally succumbing to the elements. It was torn down in 1978 after a series of fires.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 06:04:57 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

1) If you never go south of 51st.

2) If you think replacing old cottages with giant estates makes midtown nice.
3) If you think stopping anyone from doing anything is a solution in midtown.

1) Guilty.  I probably venture south of 51st street 4 times a month.  Most of that is a stop over.

2 + 3 are kind of mutually exclusive and somewhat all encompassing.  Ergo, everyone is a Tulsa.

They aren't exclusive. The middle ground is redevelopment that fits with the area. 2 is the McMansioners and 3 is the people asking for a moratorium on all midtown demolition.
Skip Towne
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 09:40:22 pm »

You might be a Tulsan if you remember the "Golden Drumsticks".
dbacks fan
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 10:58:51 am »

You might be a Tulsan if you remember the "flying saucer" KELI studios when they were on the fairgrounds.
Aa5drvr
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 12:27:28 pm »

You might REALLY be a Tulsan if you knew the it was Golden Drumstick (singular), and that the KELI radio building was actually a corporate display for one of the International Petroleum Exposition shows.  I think it was Mid Continent Supply.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 02:05:20 pm »

I went to the Golden Drumstick so many times as a kid I could fart feathers.

When I was ten, I got in a fight behind the restaurant to see which of us tough guys got to take the prettiest girl to the school fundraiser at Franklin Elementary across the street.

I won. She made me spend all my money buying her stuff. I somehow never learned a lesson from it though.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org