A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:45:47 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: You might be a Tulsan...  (Read 9484 times)
Hawkins
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 08:56:51 pm »

Cool!! Awsome thread!! Okay, okay, my turn.

You might be a 'Tulsan' IF

1. You have a daughter named Kaitlyn (spelled a variety of ways, but there are probably 800,000 'Kaitlyns' living here).

2. You drive a PT Cruiser or a pickup truck.

3. You slam on the brakes for yellow lights and yield signs, and drive like a turtle.

4. You smoke.

5. You panic when you have to go 'downtown' to pay a traffic fine, because you don't know where you are going, and will likely get lost on those pesky one-way streets down there (that's me).

Sadly, I think that about sums up 98% of the population here. [Wink]

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 07:01:56 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Cool!! Awsome thread!! Okay, okay, my turn.

You might be a 'Tulsan' IF

1. You have a daughter named Kaitlyn (spelled a variety of ways, but there are probably 800,000 'Kaitlyns' living here).

2. You drive a PT Cruiser or a pickup truck.

3. You slam on the brakes for yellow lights and yield signs, and drive like a turtle.

4. You smoke.

5. You panic when you have to go 'downtown' to pay a traffic fine, because you don't know where you are going, and will likely get lost on those pesky one-way streets down there (that's me).

Sadly, I think that about sums up 98% of the population here. [Wink]

You have Kaitlyn but you left out "Aiden/Caiden/Jaiden?" or being named after a president (Regan, Kennedy, etc)
JessnT
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2008, 01:30:48 am »

quote:
Originally posted by dbacks fan

quote:
Originally posted by breitee

quote:
Originally posted by dbacks fan

I was thinking "You might be a Tulsan if you know what 'MA-HU' means.

MAbel and HUgh Hodges, owners of the huge limestone mansion that sat upon the hill across from Oertle's at 25th and Memorial. They both died in 1970 and the mansion was left to rot, becoming Scream in the Dark for a few Halloweens, then finally succumbing to the elements. It was torn down in 1978 after a series of fires.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

What a coincidence that I ran across this post today.  I grew up around there and when I was little, a bunch of older kids took us younger kids over there late one night and walked us up to the house and ran off, leaving us all alone.  I think some other kids were hiding and making noises and trying to frighten us!  Of course this was after all the nightmarish stories for weeks leading up to the trip over there.  I ran all the way home (3/4 mile) without stopping once, and I think I probably peed my pants too!  When I got older, I didn't even want to participate in scaring the younger kids.  That was the spookiest landmark I knew as a kid!!  I still glance that way when I make it to that area of Memorial.
Thanks for finding that picture!!
JessnT
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 02:13:09 am »

I didn't know how to add the picture.  Maybe someone else can.

Here is a link to the mansion when it was young and pretty!

http://www.tulsaokhistory.com/photogallery/mahumansion.html
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 06:58:47 am »

Here
AMP
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 08:52:00 am »

When we opened Oertle's store across the street from the mansion, my mom and I made a trip over to the mansion.  We spoke to the owner, to check if the paging system or lights were a problem with him.   He said, oh no not at all, I just love it that we now have a grocery store and department store so close.  

He rode over to the store in his private ambulance with his driver about once a week to shop.  He always had his oxygen bottle close to his wheel chair.  And he always smiled at me and said thank you sir when I opened the door for him.  

I remember the Long Horn Cattle that roamed his property.

Speaking of sound over the Public Address System at Oertle's, KELI Radio 1430AM and the Kelly brothers, one of my jobs at Oertle's was to play the Specials over the PA.  Those were pre-recorded by the KELI DJs and played on a 1/4" reel to reel tape recorder.  I had to play them every 15 minutes, but I also had to wait for the song that was playing over the Muzak system to end before starting the announcement.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 08:56:01 am by AMP » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org