A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:43:59 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rootbeer & Weathergirls  (Read 3540 times)
tulsarick
Citizen

« on: September 06, 2008, 04:39:47 pm »

Was having a well deserved cheeseburger, handcut fries & a frosted mug at Webers when Julie Chen came in to order. She was very pleasant & friendly even after I said to her (jokingly) "aren`t you Katie Green?". I said I bet you 2 get that a lot & she said "no, actually this was the first time" for her. All in all a very pleasant woman & great on TV.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 05:00:41 pm »

I travel a lot in my job.

Local roor beer and weather girls are two of the most important ways to judge a town.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 05:20:55 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

Local roor beer and weather girls are two of the most important ways to judge a town.

And the street condition.

And, the Sales Tax Rate.

And, the motel/hotel lodging tax.

And, whether they fell for building an Iconic Arena.

JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 06:47:14 pm »

It never ends, does it?

Anything nice to say, FB?

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 11:14:06 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Friendly Bear

quote:

And, the Sales Tax Rate.

Yep.  New York City sure does suck.
Gold
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 08:26:36 am »

azbadpuppy
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 10:42:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Floyd

quote:
Originally posted by Friendly Bear

quote:

And, the Sales Tax Rate.

Yep.  New York City sure does suck.

Brilliant.

Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 09:46:41 am »

Dare I say it....I'm not a fan of Weber's root beer or burgers. The burger was good, but not as good as Brownie's or Claud's.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 12:56:45 pm »

But Weber's actually invented the hamburger in it's present form.

http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/HamburgerHistory.htm

1891 - The family of Oscar Weber Bilby claim the first-known hamburger on a bun was served on Grandpa Oscar's farm just west of Tulsa, Oklahoma in 1891. The family says that Grandpa Oscar was the first to add the bun, but they concede that hamburger sandwiches made with bread may predate Grandpa Oscar's famous hamburger.

Michael Wallis, travel writer and reporter for Oklahoma Today magazine, did an extensive search in 1995 for the true origins of the hamburger and determined that Oscar Weber Bilby himself was the creator of the hamburger as we know it. According to Wallis's 1995 article, Welcome To Hamburger Heaven, in an interview with Harold Bilby:

The story has been passed down through the generations like a family Bible. "Grandpa himself told me that it was in June of 1891 when he took up a chunk of iron and made himself a big ol' grill," explains Harold. "Then the next month on the Fourth of July he built a hickory wood fire underneath that grill, and when those coals were glowing hot, he took some ground Angus meat and fired up a big batch of hamburgers. When they were cooked all good and juicy, he put them on my Grandma Fanny's homemade yeast buns - the best buns in all the world, made from her own secret recipe. He served those burgers on buns to neighbors and friends under a grove of pecan trees  . . . They couldn't get enough, so Grandpa hosted another big feed. He did that every Fourth of July, and sometimes as many as 125 people showed up."

Simple math supports Harold Bilby's contention that if his Grandpa served burgers on Grandma Fanny's buns in 1891, then the Bilbys eclipsed the St. Louis World's Fair vendors by at least thirteen years. That would make Oklahoma the cradle of the hamburger. "There's not even the trace of a doubt in my mind," say Harold. "My grandpa invented the hamburger on a bun right here in what became Oklahoma, and if anybody wants to say different, then let them prove otherwise."

In 1933, Oscar and his son, Leo, opened the family's first hamburger stand in Tulsa, Oklahoma, called Weber's Superior Root Beer Stand. They still use the same grill used in 1891, with one minor variation, the wood stove has been converted to natural gas. In a letter to me, Linda Stradley, dated July 31, 2004,  Rick Bilby states the following:

My great-grandfather, Oscar Weber Bilby invented the hamburger on July 4, 1891. He served ground beef patties that were seared to perfection on a open flame from a hand-made grill. My great-grandmother Fanny made her own home-made yeast hamburger buns to put around the ground beef patties. They served this new sandwich along with their tasty home-made rood beer which was also carbonated with yeast. People would come for all over the county on July 4th each year to consume and enjoy these treats. To this day we still cook our hamburger on grandpa's grill, which is now fired by natural gas.

On April 13, 1995, Governor Frank Keating of Oklahoma proclaimed that the real birthplace of the hamburger on the bun, was created and consumed in Tulsa in 1891. The State of Oklahoma Proclamation states:

Whereas, scurrilous rumors have credited Athens, Texas, as the birthplace of the hamburger, claiming for that region south of the Red River commonly known as Baja Oklahoma a fame and renown which are hardly its due; and

Whereas, the Legislature of Baja Oklahoma has gone so far as to declare April 3, 1995, to be Athens Day at the State Capitol, largely on the strength of this bogus claim, and

Whereas, while the residents, the scenery, the hospitality and the food found in Athens are no doubt superior to those in virtually any other locale, they must be recognized. In the words of Mark Twain, as "the lightning bug is to the lightning" when compared with the Great City of Tulsa in the Great State of Oklahoma; and

Whereas, although someone in Athens, in the 1860's, may have place cooked ground beef between two slices of bread, this minor accomplishment can in no way be regarded comes on a bun accompanied by such delight as pickles, onions, lettuce, tomato, cheese and, in some cases, special sauce; and

Whereas, the first true hamburger on a bun, as meticulous research shows, was created and consumed in Tulsa in 1891 and was only copied for resale at the St. Louis World's Fair a full 13 years after that momentous and history-making occasion:

Now Therefore, I, Frank Keating, Governor of the State of Oklahoma, do hereby proclaim April 12, 1995, as THE REAL BIRTHPLACE OF THE HAMBURGER IN TULSA DAY.

Power is nothing till you use it.
unknown
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 01:31:16 pm »

Thanks for the article RM! Someone needs to add in the info on the wikipedia page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburger
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org