A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:24:46 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: East End  (Read 24688 times)
TulsaEx
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 11:44:06 pm »

I think the next step would be to build a multi-purpose museum space in downtown.  This would be a non-collecting museum that is designed specifically to host large, touring exhibitions such as Body Worlds, Titanic, Treasures of the Czars, etc.  I have noticed that none of these exhibits ever make it to Tulsa and I suspect that is because there is not a museum with enough open exhibit space to accomodate them.  A space like this could be used in partnership by Philbrook, Gilcrease, Air and Space, etc. to host larger exhibits.  For an example, the Titanic exhibit drew 71,000 people over a two month period in Wichita and 278,000 over a 5 month period in Kansas City.  I noticed while at the Body Worlds exhibit in Houston (which drew 500,000+ people), that there were very few restaurants near the museum, so people were forced to eat in the museum restaurant or the McDonalds counter in the museum while waiting for their admission time.  

Incorporating a museum like this into a neighborhood like the East End could potentially bring more people downtown in 6 months than the Drillers will bring in their entire season.  It would also attract people from a much larger area.  

If the city wouldn't want to build a new structure for this, I think it would be an excellent re-use of the Library building if they do decide to build a new one or it could possibly fill parts of the convention center or it's new ballrooms in between bookings.  Honestly, I think this would have been a much better use for Union Station, but it's probably too late for that.

On another note, I think that even with Philbrook's renovation of the Matthews warehouse, it would be great for Tulsa to have a true Modern Art Museum.  

A Movie Theater would also be great, but it would be even better to make it a destination type theater that serves good food and alcohol, kind of like the Alamo Drafthouses in Austin.

Ken Busby has also talked about the need for a mid-size theater at the PAC.  Maybe it's time to start thinking about that.  

Sorry I'm so long winded, but these are just a few of my thoughts.

FOTD
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 08:52:24 am »

Busby? He's too pumpass?
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 10:02:20 am »

A museum is another fine idea. I agree that we need housing in every price range, grocery stores, retail etc. What would the catalyst be to kick start new development in the East End (3rd to 7th, Elgin to the IDL).
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 02:17:32 pm »

Local, unique, interesting places to live, work and play.  No national chains needed, thank you (Unless it's an Trader Joe's).  Save all the old buildings that remain, so that funky, new concepts have a place to grow.  (To paraphrase Jane Jacobs: New ideas need old buildings.  New buildings demand old, proven ideas...)  

I think that there's a tremendous need in Tulsa for a midsize performance space with great accousitcs for up-and-coming musicians.  There are a ton of muscians that aren't big enough to perform at the bigger venues, or they can't afford all the sound equipment or to pay a sound guy b/c they're just getting started.  Some of the existing venues charge so much to rent the space that you have to charge too much at the door to get a crowd.

Imagine a non-profit performance space that catered to talented musicians, provided the sound guy, amps and speakers, great accoustics, and cool venue for patrons...and WHAMO!  You've got a place to hear great, local music every night of the week.  It could be the music version of the Circle Cinema.  You could serve drinks and snacks and charge a pittance at the door.  Imagine live local music every night of the week.  Imagine a place that helps young musicians get started.  Imagine a place to enjoy fresh, new original music from future stars.  Imagine how it would draw people from all over the region to Tulsa....
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 03:39:39 pm »

I think the East End should be more of an "urban neighborhood" type area. With lots of housing and basic services like a grocery store. Multi level housing with retail on the first floor on the "A" streets. Just housing on the "B" streets. All buildings of course up to the sidewalks and of pedestrian friendly design.  

I would still like to see these things go downtown in the Blue Dome, Brady Arts, and Greenwood districts.

A fun movie theater with private balconies and food/drink serice.

Bowling alley/ martini lounge. Parking underneath. The second floor bowling alley, glass all the way around so you can see in at night and even see the mechanics moving in the back all lit up in neon colors. Trendy, comfortable, lounge seating and table at each one of the lanes. Outside balcony/bar on the front of the building.  

Modern art museum.

Concentrate most of the "fun/entertainment" venues in a few areas. Sure have housing in them too. But make the East End more of a quieter, urban neighborhood, type area with basic retail, restaurants, grocery, small playground, a school possibly?  

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 03:40:31 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 03:51:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

Local, unique, interesting places to live, work and play.  No national chains needed, thank you (Unless it's an Trader Joe's).  Save all the old buildings that remain, so that funky, new concepts have a place to grow.  (To paraphrase Jane Jacobs: New ideas need old buildings.  New buildings demand old, proven ideas...)  

I think that there's a tremendous need in Tulsa for a midsize performance space with great accousitcs for up-and-coming musicians.  There are a ton of muscians that aren't big enough to perform at the bigger venues, or they can't afford all the sound equipment or to pay a sound guy b/c they're just getting started.  Some of the existing venues charge so much to rent the space that you have to charge too much at the door to get a crowd.

Imagine a non-profit performance space that catered to talented musicians, provided the sound guy, amps and speakers, great accoustics, and cool venue for patrons...and WHAMO!  You've got a place to hear great, local music every night of the week.  It could be the music version of the Circle Cinema.  You could serve drinks and snacks and charge a pittance at the door.  Imagine live local music every night of the week.  Imagine a place that helps young musicians get started.  Imagine a place to enjoy fresh, new original music from future stars.  Imagine how it would draw people from all over the region to Tulsa....

Have you been to Exit 6C?
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 01:10:34 pm »

Not yet.  Tell me more...
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 02:11:45 pm »

Jeff Martinson runs it. All local talent.

222 E First (Elgin) in the Blank Slate complex where VooDoo Room/Piano bar once was.

There can be several things going on at once in the overall complex, There is a Jazz happy hour on Friday.

Here is there My Space Page: Exit 6C

This is where American Idol Dave Cook was performing/bartending before he auditioned for the show.
USRufnex
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 05:59:30 pm »

1.  I wish the new arena had been built there.
2.  I wish the soccer stadium and 40 acres of mixed-use had been built there.
3.  I wish the ballpark and 20 acres of mixed-use had been built there.
4.  I wish a super WalMart had been built on the "superblock" as part of a TIF district that included acres and acres of mixed-use development.
5.  I wish the DESCO project woulda gone through.
6.  You know, even a movie studio and set woulda been nice...... [B)]

I just don't think anything's gonna happen without some major league heavy lifting by developers and the city.... so much of that area is NOT something that can simply be rehabbed.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 06:03:01 pm by USRufnex » Logged
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 07:54:39 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by USRufnex

4.  I wish a super WalMart had been built on the "superblock" as part of a TIF district that included acres and acres of mixed-use development.

I just don't think anything's gonna happen without some major league heavy lifting by developers and the city.... so much of that area is NOT something that can simply be rehabbed.

Wow, I for one am really glad your wishes dont come true lol.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2008, 10:57:08 pm »

Maybe we could get the giant naked Indian relocated?  [Wink]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 08:45:23 am »

quote:
Originally posted by cannon_fodder

Maybe we could get the giant naked Indian relocated?  [Wink]

Problem would be do you face giant naked indian donkey at the overpass on 75 or towards downtown?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2008, 08:48:39 am »

Always face the donkey towards Texas...I think it is an Oklahoma state law.

Power is nothing till you use it.
USRufnex
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2008, 01:20:17 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

quote:
Originally posted by USRufnex

Wow, I for one am really glad your wishes dont come true lol.

You do realize, Artist, that ANY of those wishes would be a huge improvement over what's there right now... that area has been the same for decades.  Sorry to interrupt everybody's pipedreams for that area.... but any buildings resembling Persi's pics on pg 1 would have to be replicas built from scratch...

Most of the East End/East Village is and has been a wasteland of ugliness with a handful of decent buildings on its outskirts that may or may not be rehab-ready....

IMHO, even the older buildings that could be rehabbed in that area are unremarkable.

It's a shame that the area has sat there mostly dormant for such a long time... most of my trips downtown involve taking the exit off the BA that loops off 7th? and Frankfort westbound...

I liked the idea pursued for years by one who used to post here (remember JDB?) about making a "micro-hood".... but sustaining some little microhood in such an isolated area in the IDL would be next to impossible if there's not something credible and tangeable to walk to other than those old decrepit Nordam warehouses...

Makes me wonder if LaFortune was re-elected if there'd be something there right now, instead of the laissez-faire approach by Mayor Taylor that enabled the WalMart versus Global Development property wars...

I remember when we talked of things that were going to be exciting for that area; with an out-of-state developer who had experience and expertise... and had moved money from other projects to dedicate to pursuing mixed-use including the ballpark....

I remember all the talk of LaFortune and all the cries of cronyism... now, let's compare those people and that approach to those from Mayor Taylor and her puppetmasters... rinse, repeat...  [B)]

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2008, 02:43:41 pm »

With the exception of the Wal*Mart I agree with you. I want something to happen in this part of town and I guess I have to admit I don't really care anymore if it is completely "urban". I know we only get one change to get it right, but so far every chance we've had has been a pipe dream.

What is the status of the lots in the area? We know GDP purchased a few. The Wal*Mart guys had a contract on a tract and they turned that contract over to the city (probably expired).

I think a shopping, entertainment area could work. Not a Tulsa Hills type big box development, more of a downscale Utica Square type place.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org