A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:52:32 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your passion? Get involved in PLANiTULSA!  (Read 8072 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: September 05, 2008, 01:45:14 pm »

As any TulsaNow forum reader knows, the first city-wide PLANiTULSA workshops will be held Sept 22 & 23.  Why should you care?

What's your passion?

Green/Sustainable growth
Improving economic opportunity thoughout Tulsa
Walkable neighborhoods
Historic Preservation
Viable, efficient transit
Connecting neighborhoods
Supporting "local and unique"
A healthier city
Improved air and water quality
Making Tulsa a great place for young people
Making Tulsa a great place for older citizens
Revitalizing north Tulsa
Celebrating diverse cultures
Retaining tax dollars
Etc, etc, etc...

Or, are you just tired of fighting every bad development plan that comes along at the TMAPC week after week, month after month, year after year?

Whatever lights your fire, whatever your passion, bring your friends and get involved in PLANiTULSA.

Silence is failure.

Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 12:19:44 pm »

How about adding the following to that list?:

Stopping the privatization of public infrastructure or services.

Stopping the use of eminent domain for private development.

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 08:37:12 am »

quote:
Originally posted by inteller

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

As any TulsaNow forum reader knows, the first city-wide PLANiTULSA workshops will be held Sept 22 & 23.  Why should you care?

What's your passion?

Green/Sustainable growth
Improving economic opportunity thoughout Tulsa
Walkable neighborhoods
Historic Preservation
Viable, efficient transit
Connecting neighborhoods
Supporting "local and unique"
A healthier city
Improved air and water quality
Making Tulsa a great place for young people
Making Tulsa a great place for older citizens
Revitalizing north Tulsa
Celebrating diverse cultures
Retaining tax dollars
Etc, etc, etc...

Or, are you just tired of fighting every bad development plan that comes along at the TMAPC week after week, month after month, year after year?

Whatever lights your fire, whatever your passion, bring your friends and get involved in PLANiTULSA.

Silence is failure.

two workshops downtown is not exactly city wide.

City wide refers to the scope of the planing exercises, not the locations of the workshops.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 01:18:41 pm »

After the two "city-wide" (big picture) workshops, there will be several additional workshops focused on smaller areas of the city.  These "neighborhood" workshops will allow citizens to look at smaller areas of town in much greater detail.

I would expect there to be close to a dozen different community workshops during the initial (community input) phase of PLANiTULSA.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 02:53:16 pm »

quote:

After the two "city-wide" (big picture) workshops, there will be several additional workshops focused on smaller areas of the city.  These "neighborhood" workshops will allow citizens to look at smaller areas of town in much greater detail.

I would expect there to be close to a dozen different community workshops during the initial (community input) phase of PLANiTULSA.

How about a public vote to approve and adopt the final version of the comp plan update? If this is a public planning process driven by public input let the public have the final say, I say.

<center>
</center>
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 02:29:20 pm »

I think you'd have to first vote to change the city ordinance that authorizes the City Council to approve comp plans.  

I think the point of having representative government is that the general public doesn't have to hold an election to decide every single thing.  In this case, the general public is encouraged to participate, and they are encouraged to hold their representatives responsible for ensuring that their vision is carried out.  I am confident that if enough citizens work on this, and follow through by insisting that it is adopted as written, it will work.

What would a city-wide vote achieve (as opposed to council approval to adopt the plan)?  What would you do if a special interest group(presumably status quo development interestests) financed an expensive campaign to defeat the adoption of the comp plan (created by thousands of engaged citizens)?  Then what would you have, after all the thousands of hours of work by thousands of people...  Presumably if it were defeated, we would have nothing.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 09:50:47 pm »

quote:

I think you'd have to first vote to change the city ordinance that authorizes the City Council to approve comp plans.  

I think the point of having representative government is that the general public doesn't have to hold an election to decide every single thing.  In this case, the general public is encouraged to participate, and they are encouraged to hold their representatives responsible for ensuring that their vision is carried out.  I am confident that if enough citizens work on this, and follow through by insisting that it is adopted as written, it will work.

What would a city-wide vote achieve (as opposed to council approval to adopt the plan)?  What would you do if a special interest group(presumably status quo development interestests) financed an expensive campaign to defeat the adoption of the comp plan (created by thousands of engaged citizens)?  Then what would you have, after all the thousands of hours of work by thousands of people...  Presumably if it were defeated, we would have nothing.

B.S.

Let the people vote.

All the Council has to do is send this to a vote of the people, if it takes a charter change to require a vote of the people, I'm down with that. There's plenty of time to get a charter change on the ballot for the Nov O9 Council/Mayoral election, either by Council action or by initiative petition.

<center>
</center>
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 06:19:54 am »

After seeing the protestor who was against the comp plan because he didn't want taxes to go up and he didn't like his city councilor, I'm not sure putting it to a vote of the public would get it a fair trial.
Transport_Oklahoma
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 10:43:56 am »

But some people think it's all a plot to "force everyone out of their cars and into stack'em and pack'em" apartment buildings downtown. Huh

http://www.tulsabeacon.com/?p=3982
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 11:07:39 am »

Randal O'toole is a well known anti-rail advocate.  

See the Myths and Facts sections of:

www.lightrailnow.org

for another point of view.

Edit:
was: anit-...
now: anti-...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 09:31:18 am by Red Arrow » Logged

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 05:05:13 pm »

But some people think it's all a plot to "force everyone out of their cars and into stack'em and pack'em" apartment buildings downtown. Huh

http://www.tulsabeacon.com/?p=3982

The Beacon... Roll Eyes

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 12:08:53 am »

Randal O'toole is a well known anit-rail advocate. 

See the Myths and Facts sections of:

www.lightrailnow.org

for another point of view.

His name is fitting...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org