A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:23:18 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PLANiTULSA vs. PUDs  (Read 4609 times)
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« on: September 02, 2008, 12:13:49 pm »

While I'm excited about the possibilities for PLANiTULSA, I have a question.

What happens if citizens and neighbors agree on a vision for a particular area (through the PLANiTULSA process), but a PUD already exists that's totally out of character with what the citizens want?  Do the PUD's live in perpetuity?  If the voices of thousands of citizens indicate they want a different sort of development/paradigm/pattern, what happens next?

I raise this issue b/c I'm seeing lots of PUDs getting approved against the will of the neighbors (and out of character with the hood).  I assume that those citizens would participate in PLANiTULSA and indicate the types of development they would like to see in their neighborhood....but then what?  

(example: What if the neighborhood wants pedestrian-friendly, human-scaled development, with a traditional orientation to the street.  In the meantime, a PUD gets approved that for the typical suburban style commercial development with enormous setbacks and surface parking.)

Right now, everyone ignores the existing comp plan b/c it's so outdated, it's considered a joke.  So citizens who say: "I bought my house expecting x,y,z as shown in the comp plan" get laughed at.  

But developers use the existing zoning code selectively to get what they want ("We had to make the parking lot that size b/c that's what the zoning requires.")  But when the existing rules don't allow them to get what they want, they get a PUD.  And THEN, they get what they want.  Without concern for the neighborhood.

What effect, if any, will PLANiTULSA have on this situation?

At what point should the TMAPC begin realizing: "we need to respect the will of the citizens/neighbors b/c they will be the authors of the comp plan."

inteller
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 03:58:29 pm »

i've never seen a PUD that mandates setbacks specifically for parking unless that is the intent all along.  Of course, what I have seen are older PUDs that are actually more restrictive than the zoning they sit on.
Rico
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 07:43:52 pm »

Right now, everyone ignores the existing comp plan b/c it's so outdated, it's considered a joke. So citizens who say: "I bought my house expecting x,y,z as shown in the comp plan" get laughed at.

You see I kinda disagree with this....

The problem with the current Comp Plan and the "New Improved Version" is not the content, so much, as the ability to acquire exceptions to both.

I watch developers stack one variance on top of another variance on top of another variance until the "plan" is no longer recognizable.

I have talked with the fellows that do it.

If you have the time and the money you can little by little mold a property into the use that you have in mind.
and it never hurt to have a friend at City Hall [}:)]

Currently I have been watching a fellow that has acquired two variances on the same property in the past year... He has yet to do a single thing to the property other than stack variances.

If I am right he will go back before the board after the New Year and add one more.

By then the property will have changed from Residential and light Commercial shopping to office Medium and massive somewhat unrestricted surface parking.
Cutting a swath into the very heart of a neighborhood.
Keep in mind nothing has been done yet.....
So the homeowners will have quite an item to contend with all at once...

Personally..... the biggest failure of this Mayoral Administration was not funding the "Form Based Codes" trial in the Pearl District.

It is no Panacea.... But it would make where you stand far more recognizable than the current system.

I wish I could believe the "New Comp Plan" would solve things.....

It is a nice way of packaging the dreams of Tulsan's...

If dreams just could not be bought it would probably make more of a difference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org