A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:30:48 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Average" Joe Biden  (Read 27544 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2008, 03:49:44 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

I can't remember which year it was this was in his filing info, it's on opensecrets.  I believe it may have detailed that he was paying his premiums by policy loans (or dividends).  That doesn't increase the value of the polices and actually decreases the net payout to his family when he croaks.  The amounts of the policies weren't all that high either.  It's far more economical to have one larger policy than several smaller ones from different companies.  

Maybe if I'd have voted myself quite a few pay raises over the years along with a cushy retirement and health care, I'd live like a loose financial cannon too.

I still don't get the point in bringing Biden on board unless they are thinking they can get Virginia and carry Penn. with ease this year.  There were better veep choices.  For Obama's sake, I hope he made the right choice, but I'm not thinking he did.

Love the shirts. . .

http://www.cafepress.com/politicorps

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
waterboy
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2008, 05:43:47 pm »

Its quite possible he chose Biden because, I dunno maybe.....HE WOULD MAKE A GOOD PRESIDENT IN CASE SOMETHING AWFUL HAPPENED!! Not every choice in policy or personnel by a candidate is designed to bring in votes. Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

It doesn't hurt that he knows McCain well, has good rapport with his fellow senators from both sides of the aisle and could help with legislation.

It doesn't hurt that while Republicans in the late 90's were bragging about never owning a passport cause they never planned on going to other countries, Biden did. Now he actually knows where countries are, what they're called and who runs them.

It also doesn't hurt that he balances out the ticket with an age somewhere between computer savvy and computer illiterate.[Wink]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 07:03:45 pm by waterboy » Logged
USRufnex
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2008, 08:21:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by we vs us

So, uh, he's not rich enough to be Veep?

I swear, with this crowd, it's damned if you do and damned if you don't.  Is there a scenario here where the porridge would be just right for any of you Goldilocks?

Did you expect any more from kool-aid drinking republicans pretending to be libertarian?  [Wink]

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 06:29:30 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaspar

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by midtownnewbie

quote:

Interesting that he holds 6 life insurance policies that total less than $15,000.  Who does that, and why?

They are most likely term policies that have no cash value.

Nope, mostly whole life according to his filings.

pancakes.  I simply do not have the capacity to understand that?  

There has to be a reason why a sane person would do that?  

Biden can't be an idiot.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

Talked to an insurance guy last night.  He said he sees this a lot.  Usually in older people in rural areas.  An insurance sales person drops by and gives a presentation and they buy a small policy simply because it's hard to say no to a nice face.  Each agent that drops by reviews the existing policies and recommends a supplement to it.  

He said he also sees this in people with family members selling insurance.  They feel obligated to buy a small policy or two as a gesture.

Either Biden has a hard time saying no to sales people and just buys something to placate them, or he may have a family member in the insurance business that he felt obligated to buy from.

That's all he could think of.  Otherwise his finances don't make any sense.  

His house should appraise between $1.2 million and $1.8 million.  That means that he is holding significant debt, and most likely has multiple mortgages on his property.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 06:30:09 am by Gaspar » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2008, 07:48:35 am »

Gambling problem?  Alcoholic?  Spends money like a drunken liberal?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2008, 08:09:23 am »

Those hair plugs aren't cheap.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2008, 08:17:11 am »

quote:

Shame on you!  That's horrible.  Completely unfounded.  

I like Biden.  He's just not very financially responsible.  He represents a lot of Americans with the same problem.  Some folks just let money burn a hole in their pockets and don't know any other way to live.

You should be ashamed of your self for suggesting otherwise.

USRufnex
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2008, 08:49:53 am »

Well, I suppose Joe Biden coulda married an heiress.... like McCain and Kerry...

Gaspar, I think you left this behind on another thread....

« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 08:52:48 am by USRufnex » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2008, 10:20:28 am »

quote:

quote:

I like Biden.  He's just not very financially responsible.  He represents a lot of Americans with the same problem.  Some folks just let money burn a hole in their pockets and don't know any other way to live.

Yeah, that was pretty low of me.  'scuse me while I go self-flagellate and tighten my cilise another two notches.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2008, 10:23:10 am »

quote:
Originally posted by USRufnex

Well, I suppose Joe Biden coulda married an heiress.... like McCain and Kerry...

Gaspar, I think you left this behind on another thread....

Insurrection in a former Soviet Country...$1 bln

One bunch of BS airport security measures...billions & billions

Protracted war in the Middle East...$1 trillion

Winning elections by praying on common folk's fears...Priceless!

FOTD
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2008, 11:08:23 am »

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, that was pretty low of me.  'scuse me while I go self-flagellate and tighten my cilise another two notches.

Just remember Conan, the smear and fear slash and burn technique will swing both ways. Except the democrats don't have to fabricate lies to hang on the reiglican candidates. The truth be known, they'd continue the ruin-nation we got in 2000. Devastating outcome of collapse in confidence.

Problem you have now is how do you defend McBush and what's his name veep creep?

Too many fat,happy, ignorant Americans sat silently stuffing their faces in front of big screen while a BAND OF IMMORAL, UNETHICAL THUGS FROM THE WHITEHOUSE ROBBED THIS NATION BLIND FOR ALMOST A DECADE! Now, they want to WHINE!

Whiners!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 11:11:18 am by FOTD » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2008, 01:37:29 pm »

So says the king of slash, burn, and smear.

I think we may have figured out why JB has no assets to speak of, he's definitely got zero common sense on consumer finance.  Or at least he allowed MBNA to buy his common sense off.

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11144

FOTD
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2008, 01:51:12 pm »

quote:

So says the king of slash, burn, and smear.

I think we may have figured out why JB has no assets to speak of, he's definitely got zero common sense on consumer finance.  Or at least he allowed MBNA to buy his common sense off.

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11144

Double posting non-sense ..... stop it. You look silly. Or has your head exploded.[Tongue]
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2008, 03:23:57 pm »

Ok, digging a little deeper. . .

In 1996 with a reported net-worth of about $25,000, Mr. Biden purchased a $365,000 lot in a cash transaction and started construction on a home estimated between 1 million and 3 million dollars.  No mortgage listed, also a cash transaction.  He never held anything near that balance in his bank account with the US Senate Credit Union (he had a balance less than $201 dollars).  He never held that amount in his other bank account at Beneficial National Bank in Delaware (he had a balance of less than $1,000).  He also never had that amount in any of his very modest investments.

I guarantee that if I went out and purchased over a million dollars in property with "Mystery" cash, I would have the little men in blue suites with calculators at my door.

Perhaps he's a "cash in the mason jar" kind of guy?  If so, I admire that, but it kinda goes against his liberal agenda doesn't it?  

I think i've changed my opinion about Mr. Biden.  He's a financial genius.  Not only has he figured out how to avoid disclosing his actual wealth, but he has also figured out how to avoid IRS scrutiny.  Hell, he's probably a closet Fair-Tax guy.  We could all probably learn a thing or two from him.

Nice 9,480 sq.ft. home. Lakefront.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 03:33:37 pm by Gaspar » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2008, 10:23:13 am »

Gaspar, you aren't insinuating that he might have friends in the Bahamas or Caymans are you?

Shame on you for that innuendo.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org