A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:45:28 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Average" Joe Biden  (Read 27785 times)
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 07:59:40 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Consider John Sullivan who basically arrived in Washington with very little net worth.

His has consistently increased, he's got several kids (still school age, I believe in private education), suffered an eye injury in an accident, supposedly flies home every week, and yet, he's got a higher net worth than Biden who has served in DC almost 30 years longer.

Sullivan showed about $37K in income in 2001 and assets of $15,000 to $50,000 in a state of Oklahoma retirement account.

2006 showed him with $250 to $500K in income-producing assets, most all in a CD at American Bank of Ok.

Sure seems important to Democrats that McCain is wealthy, but bring up the financial mis-management of the Veep on the Dem ticket and everyone gets all upset.  I mean, really how do you continue to piss away that much money every year when all your kids are out of college and you take the train to work and back every day from your modest home?

It's not that McCain is rich.  We've had lots of rich presidents.  It's that he's out of touch.

And frankly, there's no proof whatsoever that Biden has mismanaged any of his own personal funds.  Other than the fact that he's not as rich as you think he should be.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 09:38:26 am »

You guys are right.  Shame on me, and shame on us for even considering that Biden mismanages his money.

Now that I think about it, he simply spends everything he gets.  

This is no different than most politicians on both sides of the isle, except it seems that he carries "standard government spending polices" into his personal life.  

This makes him even more genuine in my eyes.  He's no hypocrite.  He doesn't want to just spend your money, with little or no return, he's willing to do it with his own money too.

I actually think it's refreshing to see a politician that practices what he preaches.  Joe's the real thing.

RM's comment is right,
Republicans are proud of the rich and democrats are ashamed of the poor

Conservatives will have a problem understanding this, and Liberals will celebrate it.  It's the essence of the divide.  

Beating this horse will get us nowhere.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
FOTD
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 09:41:52 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaspar

You guys are right.  Shame on me, and shame on us for even considering that Biden mismanages his money.

This is no different than most politicians on both sides of the isle, except it seems that he carries "standard government spending polices" into his personal life.  

This makes him even more genuine in my eyes.  He's no hypocrite.  He doesn't want to just spend your money, with little or no return, he's willing to do it with his own money too.

I actually think it's refreshing to see a politician that practices what he preaches.  Joe's the real thing.

RM's comment is right,

Conservatives will have a problem understanding this, and Liberals will celebrate it.  It's the essence of the divide.  

You are assuming Biden spent the money. Like a true repiglican you disregard the idea of altruism and giving.....
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2008, 10:04:02 am »

quote:

You have my complete agreement on that.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 10:17:49 am »

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

quote:

RM's comment is right,

You are assuming Biden spent the money. Like a true repiglican you disregard the idea of altruism and giving.....

Um, no.  I'm not a Republican, and I'm looking at his congressional financial disclosures on the FEC site.  He gave very minimal amounts to charity.  Unless you are suggesting that he gives secretly and doesn't declare it.  Tisk tisk.

2007    $1,250
2006     $800
2005     $800
2004    $1,000
2003     $800

And so on bla bla bla.

Heck, Hillary gives over a million dollars to charity every time she #arts.

FOTD
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 10:35:07 am »

Perhaps Joe does not partake in cronyism. Maybe, when offered an insiders investment by virtue of his power he decides instead to pass.

Seems to me Mr. Biden is clean when it comes to lobbyists and quid pro quo donors. This is the real problem. Many are searching for conflicts of interest. When they can't find them, they attack and smear him as average and cheap.

FOTD don't think you will find where he gives under $12,000 a year to individuals. But this devil believes Joe is authentic and not some elitist or corporate whore.

"Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your mouth,
Blowing down the backroads headin' south.
Idiot wind, blowing every time you move your teeth,
You're an idiot, babe.
It's a wonder that you still know how to breathe."
B. Dylan (8-27-08 Brady)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:02:10 am by FOTD » Logged
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 11:20:18 am »

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

The smear remarks are so disingenuous.

Wow, coming from the King of Smear himself!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 11:51:16 am »

Dude (FOTD)!  I never made any accusation that he was a "corporate whore" or that he was involved in anything shady.  I never made a smear against him.

I simply made an example of his finances.  He is obviously a man who does not measure success with a balance sheet.  I am sure that most of his supporters relish that.

I think is a very nice guy, a simple average joe.  He is unpretentious, and as I stated before he practices what he preaches.  

He lives the american dream as he sees it.  He has made government his life and his vehicle for success.  He is certanly at home within this nomination.  It must be very exciting for him.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,how_to_make_cupcakes,FF.html
Sorry, I just feel like I have to reciprocate with an equally pertinent link every time we discuss anything.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:53:44 am by Gaspar » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 12:05:38 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by we vs us

quote:

Consider John Sullivan who basically arrived in Washington with very little net worth.

His has consistently increased, he's got several kids (still school age, I believe in private education), suffered an eye injury in an accident, supposedly flies home every week, and yet, he's got a higher net worth than Biden who has served in DC almost 30 years longer.

Sullivan showed about $37K in income in 2001 and assets of $15,000 to $50,000 in a state of Oklahoma retirement account.

2006 showed him with $250 to $500K in income-producing assets, most all in a CD at American Bank of Ok.

Sure seems important to Democrats that McCain is wealthy, but bring up the financial mis-management of the Veep on the Dem ticket and everyone gets all upset.  I mean, really how do you continue to piss away that much money every year when all your kids are out of college and you take the train to work and back every day from your modest home?

It's not that McCain is rich.  We've had lots of rich presidents.  It's that he's out of touch.

And frankly, there's no proof whatsoever that Biden has mismanaged any of his own personal funds.  Other than the fact that he's not as rich as you think he should be.

Wealth has been equated with McCain being out of touch in the media and on here.  You know that and I know that.

Personally, I'd like to see some fiscal restraint (God only knows we have not had that the last 8 years!) in a man who could become President in the blink of an eye.  Maxed out on life insurance policy loans?  Just not what one expects to see from people who make close to $200K a year.

Arbitrarily deciding Georgia needed $1 bln in aid without giving much time to digesting the situation doesn't speak well to his fiscal responsibility.  Just keep throwing money at problems and assume that is a good solution.  Sometimes that is the best solution but more often, it is not.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
midtownnewbie
Activist

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 01:06:44 pm »

quote:

Interesting that he holds 6 life insurance policies that total less than $15,000.  Who does that, and why?

They are most likely term policies that have no cash value.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 03:09:17 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by midtownnewbie

quote:

Interesting that he holds 6 life insurance policies that total less than $15,000.  Who does that, and why?

Nope, mostly whole life according to his filings.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 03:14:23 pm »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by midtownnewbie

quote:

Nope, mostly whole life according to his filings.

pancakes.  I simply do not have the capacity to understand that?  

There has to be a reason why a sane person would do that?  

Biden can't be an idiot.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 03:21:50 pm »

I can't remember which year it was this was in his filing info, it's on opensecrets.  I believe it may have detailed that he was paying his premiums by policy loans (or dividends).  That doesn't increase the value of the polices and actually decreases the net payout to his family when he croaks.  The amounts of the policies weren't all that high either.  It's far more economical to have one larger policy than several smaller ones from different companies.  

Maybe if I'd have voted myself quite a few pay raises over the years along with a cushy retirement and health care, I'd live like a loose financial cannon too.

I still don't get the point in bringing Biden on board unless they are thinking they can get Virginia and carry Penn. with ease this year.  There were better veep choices.  For Obama's sake, I hope he made the right choice, but I'm not thinking he did.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 03:30:34 pm »

He has a house within a train commute of his offices in DC...  he has lived there a long time.  It is nearly 9,000 Sq. feet.  Equity in a house is part of your "net worth."

How the hell is he under $366K?

I don't really care, but it seems odd.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 03:36:01 pm »

quote:
Arbitrarily deciding Georgia needed $1 bln in aid without giving much time to digesting the situation doesn't speak well to his fiscal responsibility.  Just keep throwing money at problems and assume that is a good solution.  Sometimes that is the best solution but more often, it is not.

As opposed to a guy who was ready to go to war with Russia almost immediately?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org