A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:40:04 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DFW Metroplex info  (Read 6507 times)
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 08:23:16 am »

quote:
Originally posted by grahambino

360 is a nightmare.  It's a 'straight shot' as in the highway is physically straight.  you'd want to avoid that highway at all costs.

and yes, i moved from DFW metroplex to tulsa in 2006.  Things are a little bit different than the 80s.  I'm sure there are nicer areas of Arlington.  I never saw any.

my two cents.

That's intresting. I figured alot would of changed. I lived at the Indian Creek Apartments at Park Row & 360, today Indian Creek  apartments has section 8 housing and is crime riddled, parts of Arlington were not too good in the 1980's but south Arlington around I-20 were very nice with nice homes. On Collins road they knocked down down alot of housing and apartments to put up a ball park. Much has changed no question about that. I liked the weather & the long seasons, in November it's still warm & sunny in Texas while in Ohio it's snowing. Winters are short.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 08:26:52 am »

quote:
Originally posted by grahambino

360 is a nightmare.  It's a 'straight shot' as in the highway is physically straight.  you'd want to avoid that highway at all costs.

and yes, i moved from DFW metroplex to tulsa in 2006.  Things are a little bit different than the 80s.  I'm sure there are nicer areas of Arlington.  I never saw any.

my two cents.

If you avoid 360 how do you get to the airport? I went to the airport alot and it was real easy shooting straight out on 360 it takes you into the terminals. I never had a problem, but it was along time ago.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 09:09:31 am »

quote:
Originally posted by safetyguy

quote:
Originally posted by tulsa_fan

What about Coppel?  I have family there, they loved the schools, three kids graudated from there.  I think its an easy commute to both Los Colinas and DFW.  It's VERY close to my fav, Grapevine Mall . . .

Yeah, we had looked at Coppel, I just forgot about it when I was saying where we had been looking. We are hopefully making a trip down in a few weeks before I officially start working. I have temp housing for 30 days provided by the company that I won't be starting until I get back from 2 weeks of training in Canada. My wife and daughter aren't moving until our house is sold because we can't swing 2 mortgages.

I know it flies in the face of home ownership benefits, but you might consider renting for six months so you wouldn't be under the gun to buy a place and could look more at your leisure.

Also keep in mind, with a major election in November and oil prices retreating, there could be a correction in real estate in Oklahoma and Texas, which, to this point have been relatively insulated from the sub-prime debacle and economic problems facing the rust belt.

I'd be a little itchy about buying near the top of the bubble.

Just my .02.  I hope the new job is everything you were hoping for.  I worked for a company HQ'd in Irving for seven years, fortunately, they let me office out of Tulsa.  I enjoy visiting DFW, but thankful I don't have to deal with the traffic and sprawl on a daily basis.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
safetyguy
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 09:12:18 am »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We have found a realtor through an old co-worker of mine who lives in the Dallas area. We are hopefully going to be going to Dallas in a few weeks to look at houses.

From my experience with Dallas traffic, not many roads/highways are going to be a breeze to get around like you can in Tulsa. I remember when I moved here people wanted to know what I thought of the traffic. My response was there's traffic here?? Coming from Columbus, OH this is nothing. I'm just multiplying Columbus a couple times for Dallas traffic.
sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2008, 09:47:16 am »

I always loved Fort Worth, the cost of living and prop. taxes are less than Dallas and Fort Worth has alot to offer such as the famous Stockyards & Billy Bob's Texas and the Botanic Gardens, and a great Science Museum. West Fort Worth has nice homes around  River Oaks and Ridgmar Mall area. However, That's too far to drive for working in Irving. I lived in Fort Worth for two years before going to Arlington in 1982.

sauerkraut
City Father

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2008, 09:59:38 am »

I heard that the TV show "Dallas" is doing a 30-year re-union that is open to the public at the South Fork Ranch. I don't know how much the tickets  cost but the whole cast will be there. Great news for any fans of the "Dallas" show. I'd like to see Linda Gray and Victoria Principal in person. The date is Aug. 22nd. The house will be intresting to see to.

Michael71
Civic Leader

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2008, 10:25:14 am »

South of White Rock Lake is a nice affordable area.  But, as with most areas in Dallas, don't go too far South.

--------------------------
"Why be part of the 'brain drain' that gets sucked out of Tulsa...The opportunity IS there, you just gotta make it!!"--Eric Marshall
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org