A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:00:56 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $427,719 study of airport luggage?  (Read 4522 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: August 12, 2008, 07:42:30 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?subjectID=45&articleID=20080812_45_E1_CUTLIN914526

Inbound baggage due new conveyor

By D.R. STEWART World Staff Writer
8/12/2008
It's a tale of two systems at Tulsa International Airport.

The 5,000-foot-long outbound baggage conveyor system, which carries bags from the ticket counters to the airplanes, is paramount to the airlines whose aircraft can be delayed by its malfunctions. The 400-foot-long inbound baggage conveyor system, which transports bags from the planes to the east and west baggage claim rooms, is just as important to travelers: A late-arriving bag can spoil a weary person's entire day.

Frequent problems and breakdowns on the two baggage conveyor systems have prompted the Tulsa Airport Authority to undertake a $427,719 study of the five-year-old outbound system while it considers replacing the 30-year-old inbound system. "We're going to replace the inbound baggage conveyor system with new equipment," said Jeff Hough, deputy airports director of engineering and facilities. "It's just worn out."

The inbound system also was designed for an earlier era's luggage. "Thirty years ago, the average luggage was hard-sided, smaller and lighter-weight," Hough said. "Baggage today tends to be soft-sided with straps, handles, tags and wheels. There is a whole new set of challenges for the system to deal with."

Since the inbound system was designed, federal standards have changed to require 39-inch-wide conveyors, 6 inches wider than Tulsa's inbound baggage conveyor. But reconstruction of the inbound system to meet federal standards would be prohibitively expensive, Hough and his engineering staff have concluded.

"It will cost $8.5 million to replace the system as is," Hough said. "It would be $12 million to $13 million to build new bridges to give us wider space." The inbound baggage system begins near the parked aircraft on the tarmac aprons. Airline baggage handlers unload luggage from the planes onto airline baggage carts. The carts are driven to one of several baggage conveyors on the east and west concourses, where the bags are unloaded from the carts to the conveyors.

The inbound baggage conveyor moves the luggage from the tarmac to the second floor of the passenger terminal and through the 100-foot-long Hall of Flags, which joins the east and west baggage claim rooms to the center terminal. The baggage conveyor is enclosed in steel cabinetry on either side of the Hall of Flags walkway. "Given the limitations of the building space, it's not practical to just widen the existing bridge," Hough said. "But for all practical purposes, building a whole new bridge would be easier to do. But at 50 percent higher cost, we can't justify it.

"We will be able to widen some areas, except the Hall of Flags area. We're going to reconfigure the conveyor to reduce the number of turns and flatten out the inclines."

If a baggage handler places luggage with rollers on the conveyor belt with wheels down, it's an invitation for baggage jams. On the conveyor inclines, the luggage wheels will spin, piling up bags behind it. It's a problem that occurs on nearly a daily basis, officials said. When the system functions as designed, the elapsed time between an airline employee placing a bag on the conveyor belt to its arrival in the baggage claim room is three minutes, Hough said.

Many of the delays travelers experience in receiving their luggage in the baggage claim rooms can be traced to the airline baggage handling process, Hough said — from the unloading of bags from the planes to the carts and the unloading of carts to the baggage conveyor.

"It used to be, when airlines had all kinds of manpower, they had people dedicated to the baggage conveyor process," Hough said. "Today, these people are moving jet bridges, opening (aircraft) doors, helping wheel chair-bound people, fueling planes and loading baggage on departing aircraft. "That's the reason bags don't get to passengers fast. Their bags are sitting out there."

Plans are under way to replace the inbound system's electrical motors, belts, supporting structure and electrical controls. A request for bids on the project will be made in the next few weeks, Hough said, and construction should begin early next year.

"We're getting to the point of metal fatigue and other problems where you just can't fix it anymore," Hough said. "You can drive a car 150,000 to 200,000 miles, but at some point you start putting maintenance into it and having reliability issues. "At that point, you just need to buy a new one."

How do I get in line to be the consultant who studies the converor belt?

They know it needs to be replaced after just five years, but they need to hire a consultant to tell them that?

For that kind of money, let's just hire limo drivers to take it from the ticket counter to the plane.

Power is nothing till you use it.
unknown
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 08:14:42 am »

quote:
If a baggage handler places luggage with rollers on the conveyor belt with wheels down, it's an invitation for baggage jams. On the conveyor inclines, the luggage wheels will spin, piling up bags behind it. It's a problem that occurs on nearly a daily basis, officials said.  

Which is it... old busted equipment or employees not paying attention? I guess it is easier to take out the inclines than it is to lay a bag with wheels up.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 03:47:27 pm »

I'm willing to study the baggage problem for $250,000.  

(Now that I've read the article and  know what's wrong and how much it would cost to fix it...I guess I should just send them a bill...)
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 04:05:27 pm »

Gee I wonder who is doing the study...The same company that did the sound-proofing of the area homes..?

Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 07:07:30 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Breadburner

Gee I wonder who is doing the study...The same company that did the sound-proofing of the area homes..?

It's the PRECISION I love about this story:

$427,719.
TeeDub
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 12:39:13 pm »

I vote they hire someone at $8/hr to fix the jams.

It will be cheaper than either the replacement OR the study.
MDepr2007
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 01:44:49 pm »

I question why there was no article over 2 months ago , when it was discussed in length. The estimate then was $500,000 and they would get to keep the software.

Figuring out the best way to run it and programing of software is going to be the big expense on top of the brains who will be studying before hand.

Don't trust D.R. Stewart on numbers, as he has changed the sound abatement figures almost everytime he writes about it.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 07:32:58 pm »

For that much money you could have 21 people at $10 an hour work FULL TIME for a YEAR just standing there watching the damn conveyor belts go.  At the end of the year gather them all up and ask what's wrong.

IMHO, studies are totally worthless.  I think we need to commission a study to look into that.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org