A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:26:37 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Center of the Universe - Another Pot Hole  (Read 3287 times)
Wrinkle
« on: August 15, 2008, 11:49:09 am »

KOTV's Rick Wells did a noon news story on Tulsa's 'Center of the Universe' today.

I did wonder, while he had DTU's President Mr. Norton on TV, why he didn't ask about DTU's total lack of maintenance to the 'spot', which is in much disrepair.

DTU even features a photo of it, in somewhat better condition than today's story shots, on it's website HERE

Seems an existing feature of downtown fails to receive even as much care and attention as potential developers.

citizen72
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 12:42:28 pm »

By definition the center of the Universe would be that place where there is nothing. Why? Well because of the big old bang. Since with an explosion everything is thrown out in all directions, the point of the explosion would be empty. We have never found that open area.

The big bang theory will eventually go the ways of many other theories. In file thirteen.

^^^^^

"Never a skillful sailor made who always sailed calm seas."
jne
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 01:52:49 pm »

While I would hate to see this spot fall into disrepair, it actually looked really good last time I was there (maybe 6 months ago).  How soon we forget that it was once covered in graffiti and adorned with litter.

Vote for the two party system!
-one one Friday and one on Saturday.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 04:58:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by jne

While I would hate to see this spot fall into disrepair, it actually looked really good last time I was there (maybe 6 months ago).  How soon we forget that it was once covered in graffiti and adorned with litter.

A few months ago it was looking rough. There was some grafitti and the concrete was falling apart.

It wasn't terrible or anything, though. Just "neglected downtown," which is par for the course in most cities, not just Tulsa.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 06:49:01 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by citizen72

By definition the center of the Universe would be that place where there is nothing. Why? Well because of the big old bang. Since with an explosion everything is thrown out in all directions, the point of the explosion would be empty. We have never found that open area.

The big bang theory will eventually go the ways of many other theories. In file thirteen.

Well I think I just located a large, empty, open area.... between your two ears.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 06:49:33 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Steve
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 07:23:20 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wrinkle

KOTV's Rick Wells did a noon news story on Tulsa's 'Center of the Universe' today.

I did wonder, while he had DTU's President Mr. Norton on TV, why he didn't ask about DTU's total lack of maintenance to the 'spot', which is in much disrepair.

That KOTV story first aired yesterday; today was a repeat.  I was watching yesterday, and after the story ended and they cut back to the news anchors, the male anchor said "it looks like just another example of Tulsa's crumbling infratructure to me."  Sad, but true.
citizen72
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 02:59:27 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

quote:
Originally posted by citizen72

Well I think I just located a large, empty, open area.... between your two ears.

Oh really?  The Earth was flat and everything revolved around it at one time. "Ain't" that right sunshine?

^^^^^

"Never a skillful sailor made who always sailed calm seas."
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 07:29:30 pm »

At one point or another the church would kill, imprison or otherwise destroy people who refused to believe:

The Earth was flat and square
Bathing is sinful and unhealthy
Jerusalem was the center of everything
The sun and stars are set in one of the layers (firmamant) of the sky
Forks are a sign of pride
The only way to tell if someone was a witch was to burn them
God, not unseen germs, cause sickness
The sun and stars evolved around the Earth
Heaven is in the sky, Hell beneath the Earth (the Earth rests on pillars above Hell)
The moon generates light, not reflects it from the sun
Mental illness is caused by possession by the Devil
Natural disasters are Gods way of punishing people (and innocent people just the same)
Women are lesser then and subservient to men

For that matter the church has attested, out of plain stubbornness, that the mustard seed is the smallest, that rabbits are ungulates, bats are birds, and on and on.  Most of time religion fights with science it isn't even about doctrine, it's just about being right.  And most of the time, religion is proven wrong.  

So they just adjust their infallible beliefs to realign with what is now understood to be correct.  The Earth is round, women are valuable  members of the community, and orchids produce the worlds smallest seeds.  They lost so much credibility pretending they know EVERYTHING instead of sticking with things in which they can't be proven wrong.

Personally, I worship the Center of the Universe in Tulsa as the sight from which all of the Universe was shat.  I plan on writing a book to that effect - actually, Harry Potter cast a spell from (insert whatever land Harry Potter lives in) and caused the center of the
Universe to spew forth this reality.  In 2,000 years we can debate on weather or not that idea will be taught in schools.  [Tongue]

It's just as likely as any other religion is of being right.  Creation myths are like internet opinions, everyone has one and mine is always right.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org