A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:26:40 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should Tulsa have a City Planning Department?  (Read 19877 times)
AVERAGE JOE
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 12:13:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by deinstein

quote:
Originally posted by AVERAGE JOE

quote:

Absolutely. No question.

Get an urban planning program at OSU-Tulsa while you're at it.

Anything wrong with the one at OU-Tulsa?

That's a landscape architecture program.

No, it's not anything of the sort.
OU Urban Design Studio
inteller
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 06:52:40 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Absolutely. No question.

Get an urban planning program at OSU-Tulsa while you're at it.

Anything wrong with the one at OU-Tulsa?

That's a landscape architecture program.

No, it's not anything of the sort.
OU Urban Design Studio

oh, is that the one where they make google sketch up trinkets for class projects?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 06:52:58 pm by inteller » Logged
inteller
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 07:00:58 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

City run zoning spawns questions

A possible third option, the City Attorney's Office says, is a different configuration under the corporate powers enumerated in the city's revised charter.

Looks like I was right about the flexibility we have as a charter city

Who would staff it?

This much is known: Nothing keeps the city from retaining INCOG, which provides planning for all its member cities.

Just like I said before

It provides the equivalent of 9.5 full-time employees to TMAPC.

The Planning Department could also be tapped.

What would it cost?

There is no simple formula to determine this, but the Planning Commission's fiscal year 2008 budget was $842,316, of which the city paid $384,015 and the county paid $458,301.

However, the city and county recoup some of that through application fees, which are split evenly. In 2008, for example, each received $110,312.

TMAPC facts

Established: 1953

Members: 11 — six appointed by the mayor; three appointed by the County Commission; with two ex-officio members, one appointed by the mayor and one appointed by the County Commission chairman, to represent the city and county.

Terms: 3 years

Responsibilities: TMAPC issues zoning recommendations. The City Council or the County Commission has the final say on such issues. The Planning Commission also adopts subdivision regulations that are then certified by either the City Council or the County Commission. The Planning Commission is responsible for adopting the city’s Comprehensive Plan, which then needs the approval of the City Council and the County Commission.

Current composition: Eight of the nine regular members live in Tulsa.

I choose option 3.

I think we should cleam out all of the existing positions, make everyone submit a new resume, and hire from scratch.  The committee needs to come from each council district, appointed by the councilor of that district and on a staggered term with the councilor.  That way, if the appointee does some stupid stuff the people can vote the councilor out in protest.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 12:20:06 pm »

Anybody know when the subcommittee to study this issue is meeting or who is serving on the subcommittee?

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2008, 04:31:48 pm »

There should be a questionnaire:

1. Have you ever walked on a sidewalk?  When?

2. Have you ever used mass transit?  When?

3. Define smart lighting.

4. Do you believe that concrete pavers are cool or annoying?

5. Describe the impact of front porches versus 3-car garages on a neighborhood.

6. Do you believe that home owners should be treated as investors and stakeholders in nearby development decisions?  Why or why not?

7. What role, if any, should historic preservation play when considering future developments?

8. Do you believe that PUDs are a symptom of a broken planning/zoning process?  Why or why not?

9. Do you believe that planning should consider the needs of cars or kids first?
inteller
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 07:24:51 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

Anybody know when the subcommittee to study this issue is meeting or who is serving on the subcommittee?

it would seem to me that a SUBcommittee would be made up of a subset of the councilors?  otherwise it would be a committee.

and no we will not be handing out any midtown zealot questionnaire.  believe it or not people like to live in neighborhoods that are not made up of 20s craftsman homes.
USRufnex
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2008, 07:37:16 pm »

Ooooh.  Cool.  A survey?...... kinda like at the mall....

Originally posted by PonderInc

There should be a questionnaire:

1. Have you ever walked on a sidewalk?  When?

Yep.  Not lately, since my walks on south Lewis don't involve sidewalks cuz they don't exist here.  Previously walked to Reasor's off 41st & Garnett, spoke with a young couple, was told they walk more often since the hubby got a DUI.  I like walking along Cherry Street/Brookside/Brady, etc....

2. Have you ever used mass transit?  When?

Yes.  Took the TulsaTransit bus a few times to Memorial from Garnett, but that's been over a year ago, after having car problems-- now I work till 7pm most nights... also took the bus from Garnett to Pine and to downtown one time.  If TulsaTransit had busses that ran until 10 or 11pm on weeknights, or until 1am on Sat/Sun, I'd start taking the bus again (like I used to do in Indianapolis).  Previously lived w/o a car in Chicago and Boston.  Couldn't live without a car in OKC, Indy or Tulsa...

3. Define smart lighting.

Don't know the issues with Acorn, etc..... but am in favor of using bright light in certain dense areas including alleyways to deter crime.  Soft light in areas where pedestrians could be walking late at night.  No light where it's not wanted or needed, which seems to be many areas of Tulsa after certain hours in the evening.

4. Do you believe that concrete pavers are cool or annoying?

They are necessary, especially in downtown these days... [Wink].... but can be a force for good rather than evil... http://www.lid-stormwater.net/permcomind_home.htm

5. Describe the impact of front porches versus 3-car garages on a neighborhood.

I would rather have 3-car garages in residential neighborhoods with larger homes that lack sidewalks.  That way, people can walk on sides of the street w/o having to walk around parked cars.  

Front porches are nice... also really like it when them foreigners or "Meskins" make a big deal out of a large front porch area, complete with landscaping, rock gardens, etc, etc... combining that with sidewalks makes for a good "neighborhood watch" in higher density residential areas...

6. Do you believe that home owners should be treated as investors and stakeholders in nearby development decisions?  Why or why not?

Sounds good, especially in historical areas... but I find telling people what kind of windows to put in their own home a bit excessive and think we should extend a reasonable amount of  courtesy and creative license to certain developers, though.

7. What role, if any, should historic preservation play when considering future developments?

I sometimes resent the shear amount of grants and tax credits available to preserve huge older homes owned by well-to-do yuppies..... but agree with tax credits/grants for preservation of valuable brownstones, unique buildings, etc... case-by-case basis since so many older buildings in Tulsa may cost more to do a gut rehab or maintain than to rebuild, especially if they've been in a state of disrepair for years and years...

8. Do you believe that PUDs are a symptom of a broken planning/zoning process?  Why or why not?

Yep, but the alternative could be worse.... my head hurts just thinking about it... where's my magical zoning amulet...
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/39683
"It's wonderful that someone's finally doing something to revitalize this town, even if it is someone who can commune with church gargoyles," said local baker Wendy Kittner, whose business was mystically placed on the National Register Of Historic Places last week despite being housed in a building erected in 1981. "He frightens me, and my concern is that if I defy him, I may be turned to stone."

9. Do you believe that planning should consider the needs of cars or kids first?

Loaded question.  
Akin to:  "How often do you beat your wife?"

I assume you're talking about development that allows mothers with strollers to not have to dodge mothers-with-kids driving minivans in parking lots.

I think the walkable urban option is desirable and curiously missing in most of Tulsa, including midtown.  Tulsa needs a mixture of areas that cater to small families, singles, larger families, young couples, empty nesters, etc...

-----Do I get a coupon or gift certificate or somthing?.... [Cheesy]  

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:57:26 pm by USRufnex » Logged
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 09:36:56 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by USRufnex

I sometimes resent the shear amount of grants and tax credits available to preserve huge older homes owned by well-to-do yuppies..... but agree with tax credits/grants for preservation of valuable brownstones, unique buildings, etc... case-by-case basis since so many older buildings in Tulsa may cost more to do a gut rehab or maintain than to rebuild, especially if they've been in a state of disrepair for years and years...

There are no tax credits available to residential homeowners of historic homes (unless you grant historic preservation easements).  If you know of any grants, please post them--I would love to see them.

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 10:57:56 am »

USRuf - Thank you for completing our survey! You will receive a coupon good for 10 free posts on the TulsaNow forum.  Plus one additional bonus post just for reading "The Onion" and including the "zoning amulet" in your reply! [Wink]
USRufnex
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2008, 06:34:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by pmcalk

quote:
Originally posted by USRufnex

There are no tax credits available to residential homeowners of historic homes (unless you grant historic preservation easements).  If you know of any grants, please post them--I would love to see them.

It's been a few years.... the example clearest to my recent memory involves a homeowner at Heritage Hills in OKC... I'll PM you if I find really specific stuff and how it was done... but if I get lazy and google something, I'll post it here... [Wink]

Chicken Little
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 07:42:50 pm »

1. Have you ever walked on a sidewalk? When?  Why, yes.  There is a sidewalk about a block from my house.  Sometimes we load up the family and drive down to marvel at it.  All my friends are jealous...mainly because they can't drive on it.
inteller
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2008, 06:57:31 pm »

this thread should not have been moved into the planitulsa forum.  this decision will be made no matter what happens with the planitulsa joke.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org