A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:07:40 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do we go about getting bike lanes for 15th St?  (Read 36412 times)
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2010, 12:56:10 pm »

Well, I got the file size down but need to figure out how to get the resolution down too.  (iMac)

I use the FastStone Photo Resizer, but I don't know if it will work with a Mac.

http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #76 on: October 24, 2010, 01:00:57 pm »

Quinton's post was a bit harsh, but I agree with what I hope was the message. Someone needs to pay for any bike path--and yes I would be one of them since I am a cyclist.

We all pay for them, Guido, whether we use them or not.  Otherwise, we'd have people demanding to opt out of paying for sidewalks, public libraries, public schools, or even aircraft carriers.  If I don't use it, I shouldn't have to pay for it.  I had a relative who took that approach with the local telephone company.  It didn't end well for her. 

Ed

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2010, 01:54:40 pm »

We all pay for them, Guido, whether we use them or not.  Otherwise, we'd have people demanding to opt out of paying for sidewalks, public libraries, public schools, or even aircraft carriers.  If I don't use it, I shouldn't have to pay for it.  I had a relative who took that approach with the local telephone company.  It didn't end well for her. 

I get your point; however, in my opinion bike paths are a very unique item limited in use by a certain group of people. Sidewalks, schools, etc. are used by a large majority of people. BUT, in fairness to the issue, I was in San Diego a couple of weeks back and there are bike lanes throughout the city and they seemed to be used by lots of people, so I could very well be off base.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2010, 02:33:45 pm »

I get your point; however, in my opinion bike paths are a very unique item limited in use by a certain group of people. Sidewalks, schools, etc. are used by a large majority of people. BUT, in fairness to the issue, I was in San Diego a couple of weeks back and there are bike lanes throughout the city and they seemed to be used by lots of people, so I could very well be off base.

By the same token, airports are used by a tiny minority of people, yet we pour public money into them too.  I think we lose sight of the idea of something being a 'public good.'  I may not benefit directly from an airport subsidy or spending on public schools, but I like having them.  I can travel via air transportation or send and receive goods.  And it's in my benefit to see that the public school graduate actually knows how to read the instruction manual when it's time to fix the brakes on my car.

Like the library, bike facilities are a public good and we may use them or not.  I had a co-worker who insisted that libraries were a waste of tax money.  "They're only wasted if you don't use them," I said.  In that same sense, public parks, linear parks, multi use trails and the like are only wasted if we don't use them. 

While I'm not a proponent of bike lanes, I do understand their appeal.  (They're still the subject of this thread, after all.)  I have misgivings about setting aside public space for the exclusive use of one group of road users.  And I don't tolerate the fear mongering that some bikeways advocates rely upon.  As responsible citizens, we cyclists should insist that public monies spent on our behalf have genuine, measurable safety benefits.  Too often, bike facilities and even bike laws are little more than feel good approaches or window dressing.  In even more cases, facilities are poorly designed and ill maintained. 

Ed

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2010, 02:40:51 pm »

By the same token, airports are used by a tiny minority of people, yet we pour public money into them too.  I think we lose sight of the idea of something being a 'public good.'  I may not benefit directly from an airport subsidy or spending on public schools, but I like having them.  I can travel via air transportation or send and receive goods.  And it's in my benefit to see that the public school graduate actually knows how to read the instruction manual when it's time to fix the brakes on my car.

Like the library, bike facilities are a public good and we may use them or not.  I had a co-worker who insisted that libraries were a waste of tax money.  "They're only wasted if you don't use them," I said.  In that same sense, public parks, linear parks, multi use trails and the like are only wasted if we don't use them. 

While I'm not a proponent of bike lanes, I do understand their appeal.  (They're still the subject of this thread, after all.)  I have misgivings about setting aside public space for the exclusive use of one group of road users.  And I don't tolerate the fear mongering that some bikeways advocates rely upon.  As responsible citizens, we cyclists should insist that public monies spent on our behalf have genuine, measurable safety benefits.  Too often, bike facilities and even bike laws are little more than feel good approaches or window dressing.  In even more cases, facilities are poorly designed and ill maintained. 

Must.. resist...urge...to...tell...Ed...he...changed...my...mind...

Too late. Can't argue with the "public good" issue, because it plainly is. Bike trails could likely attract newcomers to Tulsa as well. But most know me as someone that always worries about paying for non-essential items, especially in today's economic climate.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2010, 08:29:35 pm »

Sorry to use this space as a test but I think I found how to reduce the resolution on the pictures in a iMac

* Smaller Bicycle Tags.jpg (175.58 KB - downloaded 485 times.)

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2010, 08:37:37 pm »

Sorry to use this space as a test but I think I found how to reduce the resolution on the pictures in a iMac

It worked.  It's part of the export function in iphoto that I had previously not noticed.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org