A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:16:03 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unidentified Beryl Ford Photos  (Read 34717 times)
Kiah
Philanthropist

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2008, 07:41:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bugo

These 2 are driving me nuts...

Looks like US 75 and OK 117, which would mean either Sapulpa or Glenpool.  

Probably north Peoria.  Lewis and Memorial were also OK 11 at different times.

I'm pretty sure the top one is Main Street (aka Hwy 75) in Sapulpa, from the south end of town, looking north toward the intersection of Taft (aka Hwy 117).  Now, there's a McDonald's and Ace Hardware there on the right.  It's not really recognizable on Google Street View today, but I recognize the photo as looking more as it looked when I was a kid.

bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2008, 09:19:07 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kiah

I'm pretty sure the top one is Main Street (aka Hwy 75) in Sapulpa, from the south end of town, looking north toward the intersection of Taft (aka Hwy 117).  Now, there's a McDonald's and Ace Hardware there on the right.  It's not really recognizable on Google Street View today, but I recognize the photo as looking more as it looked when I was a kid.
[/quote]

That was one of my first guesses, but the presence of a railroad crossing visible in the picture threw me off.  Was there once a rail line parallel to OK 117?  Looking at aerial photos, it's difficult to tell if a rail line ever ran through there.  The archive of old ODOT maps doesn't really help, because there are no Sapulpa inset maps.  Anyone know where any old local city/county maps* are online?

*Excluding this one, of course, which has been extremely useful to me:
http://www.batesline.com/archives/2007/05/1958-dx-map-of.html
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:27:22 pm by bugo » Logged
Kiah
Philanthropist

« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2008, 09:19:17 am »

quote:

quote:

That was one of my first guesses, but the presence of a railroad crossing visible in the picture threw me off.  Was there once a rail line parallel to OK 117?  Looking at aerial photos, it's difficult to tell if a rail line ever ran through there.  The archive of old ODOT maps doesn't really help, because there are no Sapulpa inset maps.  Anyone know where any old local city/county maps* are online?

*Excluding this one, of course, which has been extremely useful to me:
http://www.batesline.com/archives/2007/05/1958-dx-map-of.html

[/quote]

Oh, I thought that was just an old fashioned traffic light.  If that is Sapulpa, there are no tracks parallel to 117, because there is a notoriously bad flood zone on both sides of the street, all the way up to Mission Ave. . . .
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 11:54:57 am by Kiah » Logged

dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2008, 11:41:46 am »

quote:

i couldn't get the picture embedded; but, here is a link to streetview:
Link

you can tell the building on the left is the same.  its just white now.

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
izmophonik
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2008, 02:27:20 pm »

I wish I could find an old picture of my place on 1719 South Saint Louis but after about 1 hour of going through the pics...no luck.
izmophonik
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2008, 02:47:37 pm »

I did find some cool pictures of Orcutt park/lake and even the old roller coaster!
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2008, 03:19:17 pm »

The original owner of this home had a bit of a complex.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
dbacks fan
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2008, 03:47:08 pm »

quote:

quote:

I think the bottom one is Memorial just south of the Sertoma Club. If you look at this picture of Memorialand look at the cracks in the road, the driveways on both sides it appears the same. The center median has been changed over the years but I think this is it.
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2008, 04:33:15 pm »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dbacks fan</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kiah</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bugo</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I think the bottom one is Memorial just south of the Sertoma Club. If you look at this picture of Memorialand look at the cracks in the road, the driveways on both sides it appears the same. The center median has been changed over the years but I think this is it.

how about here for the bottom picture:
https://goo.gl/maps/JP1qkdPRsUo

i found on the DX map that was linked to that hwy 11 was Apache in 1952.  this is just west of apache and lewis.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 12:09:00 pm by dioscorides » Logged

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2016, 05:38:27 pm »

Beautiful craftsman! Could this have been in downtown? What a shame that it is gone.

I don't think it's gone.  I'm guessing it's the house on the northwest corner of 18th and Norfolk.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2016, 10:19:12 pm »

Sure looks similar, but if it is the same, there have been some modifications to the front of the house like the addition of a dormer window and changes to the brick work along the porch and removal of the balcony on the second floor.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2016, 08:12:22 am »

I was compiling all the reasons it couldn't be the same house:

The foundation brick is different
The rest of the house is now brick, it was siding
2nd floor balcony removed
Roof over the porch has been narrowed
All the decorative supports, wood work has been removed
A flat second roof was replaced with a gable
The attic vent has quadrupled in size

BUT... to really kill the issue I decided to look at the house next door. And I think it's the same damn house!

The house we are looking in Google at was built in 1925. The house immediately to the north wasn't built until the 1950s, so it wouldn't appear in the background to the right of the old house - and that space is blank in the old picture.  The house next door to the west was built in 1913. And there is a house to the west in the old picture too.

We can't tell that much about it - 2 stories, sided not brick, 3 part brick chimney, and a roofline that cuts back into the house when level with the ground. If the house next door to the Google house can be rulled out - then the Google house and the old house are not one in the same. But I think they are...

Chimney: Initially I thought the chimney seals the deal as a NO. But then I went back in time on street view and a ways down the street. a new chimney has been built along side the old chimney. The old chimney is a brick chimney with 3 exit ports on the top. Just like the photo (you may have to zoom in):
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1361565,-95.9795938,3a,19.5y,10.21h,104.75t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s3SmyKO1Yo_Yuk7CRzpAvsg!2e0!5s20110701T000000!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1361565,-95.9795968,3a,62.4y,17.99h,109.88t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1suuYR6knTs-IqIj_qsvS_Tw!2e0!5s20140401T000000!7i13312!8i6656

The other element that was interesting was the roofline. It cuts back in sharply as an architectural element. And it certainly appears the neighbor house still does this today:
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.1361566,-95.9792248,3a,19y,320.82h,96.17t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s8fsFMxfZAZ8N-iSyYpeJ1w!2e0!5s20140401T000000!7i13312!8i6656

The neighbor house has had a lot of changes and an expansion towards the house we are looking at. But it sure fits.

Same Chimney. Same roofline. Same pillars. Same porch. Same concrete cap on brick pillars. Same windows. Same number of steps on the porch. Same lot orientation (and both a corner lot). Sidewalk same distance from road. Driveway is in the same place. Ten years ago there was even a pine tree in the same place a tiny pine tree stands in the old photo (not that it has to be the same tree). Some odd details are even the same (note under porch roof there is a beam going from the last pillar to the wall, its int he exact same place even though the roofline of the porch ceiling has moved).

I'm saying its the same house.

It was driving me crazy.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2016, 08:40:57 am »

If it is, it's a real shame they screwed it up so bad over the years.  The original was much nicer looking house.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Bamboo World
Philanthropist

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2016, 11:57:30 am »

It was driving me crazy.

What was driving you crazy?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2016, 12:15:58 pm »

What was driving you crazy?

He stuffs wooly bears down his pants.  It's a thing.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org