A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:10:00 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unidentified Beryl Ford Photos  (Read 34748 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 10:55:47 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MichaelBates

quote:
Originally posted by citizen72

Wow, that was fun. Any more?

There are a lot of Beryl Ford photos that could use more detailed identification. A while back I suggested to the library to put the collection up on Flickr, where photos could be "geotagged" and collect comments and tags. It would be great to have the Beryl Ford photos geotagged so that, when you do a Flickr map search, you could find the historic photos for a given spot.

The Library of Congress, the Smithsonian Institution, and a few other archives are already doing a pilot project using Flickr with some of their photo collections. For many photos, they have little or no identifying information, and they're hoping it will be easier for people to encounter and identify the photos on Flickr.

The Tulsa library is looking at better ways to organize and display the collection; I hope they consider this option.

Agreed.  There are several photos in the massive Beryl Ford collection that are marked as unknown that I can identify.  I know it's not much, but I'm sure that those few times several hundred of us could make a difference.

I have the old Tulsa World three photograph-book set called 'Tulsa Times', I think it is, with photos from the Beryl Ford collection.  Got it as a wedding gift back in 1990, if I recall right.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
mrB
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2008, 02:24:22 am »

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by bugo

Where was this taken?  It was taken in 1962.  In 62, US 64/OK 51 made right-angle turns at 15th and Harvard, 51st and Harvard, and 51st and Memorial.  My guess is one of those 3 locations.

51st & Harvard, I think, as I believe Stein Mart is an old Safeway store.  What say you FOTD?

I say the street comish back then did his job much better than our Pewbic Diswerks depotment.

Joe Creek flooded all the time and Millerwood was the main draw.

I ain't that old Conan[:X]

The telephone poles still match up!
I'd forgotten that was a Safeway!

waterboy
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2008, 06:48:22 am »

quote:
Originally posted by citizen72

Wow, that was fun. Any more?

My memories or the pics? The Beryl Ford collection is available through the library web site.

No privacy fences, (open range for kids), lots of elm trees and fruit trees. Lots of people actually slept outside during the hottest summer months. Hardly anyone locked their entry doors, which were left open. Latching the screen door was good enough. It was quieter because there were no central air units humming (attic fans were popular), expressways roaring or motorcycles. The young kids in my Hillcrest edition pretty much watched out for and took care of the old folks who let us play in their yards. We mowed for them, put medicine in their eyes, talked at length about their past, and defrosted their refrigerators.
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2008, 02:06:06 am »

If anyone can pinpoint this location, I'll be impressed.  I could probably find it if I spent many hours on Google Maps or Terraserver, but there's a good chance that this area has changed a lot.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2008, 06:42:40 am »

quote:

If anyone can pinpoint this location, I'll be impressed.  I could probably find it if I spent many hours on Google Maps or Terraserver, but there's a good chance that this area has changed a lot.

Just from the alignment it's possible that could be Skelly Drive at Garnett.  The east-west road is likely 11th Street.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

booWorld
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2008, 06:45:50 am »

Hoss beat me to it.  I agree:  11th & Garnett & Skelly.

The pattern of creeks and ponds looks similar to the Tupelo Creek watershed.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 07:02:15 am by booWorld » Logged
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2008, 09:35:20 am »

These 2 are driving me nuts...

Looks like US 75 and OK 117, which would mean either Sapulpa or Glenpool.  

Probably north Peoria.  Lewis and Memorial were also OK 11 at different times.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2008, 09:40:36 am »

quote:

These 2 are driving me nuts...

Looks like US 75 and OK 117, which would mean either Sapulpa or Glenpool.  

Probably north Peoria.  Lewis and Memorial were also OK 11 at different times.

That's tough to say on the top one; I'll defer.

The bottom one almost looks like Memorial just north of Admiral, but the grade downhill doesn't look steep enough.  I'll have to defer there too.

bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2008, 09:41:05 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Hoss

quote:

Just from the alignment it's possible that could be Skelly Drive at Garnett.  The east-west road is likely 11th Street.

That was my first guess, but the road on the aerial looks to be a two-lane highway.  Was Skelly originally a 2 lane highway here?

Looks like I was right about it changing a lot...
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2008, 09:42:23 am »

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Hoss

quote:

That was my first guess, but the road on the aerial looks to be a two-lane highway.  Was Skelly originally a 2 lane highway here?

Looks like I was right about it changing a lot...

Yes, originally it was, IIRC.  Earlier in the 30s, there wasn't much out past 21st to the south and Harvard to the east

booWorld
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2008, 09:09:20 am »

515 South Denver:

Source: Beryl Ford Collection / Rotary Club of Tulsa, Tulsa City-County Library, Tulsa Historical Society
booWorld
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2008, 01:20:57 pm »

434 North Detroit?

Source: Beryl Ford Collection / Rotary Club of Tulsa, Tulsa City-County Library, Tulsa Historical Society
booWorld
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2008, 02:49:51 pm »

320 South Cheyenne (northwest corner of 4th & Cheyenne):

booWorld
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2008, 03:06:20 pm »

300 block of South Cheyenne, looking south:

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2008, 04:03:59 pm »

You guys are great! I love seeing the mysteries solved...and hearing the stories about life in Tulsa "back in the day."

(I was talking to a guy recently who remembers shooting .22s with his buddies at Mohawk park back when he was a kid.)

Boo, how the heck do you know all these old houses?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org