A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:00:51 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unidentified Beryl Ford Photos  (Read 34724 times)
cks511
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 07:36:11 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

51st & Harvard, I think, as I believe Stein Mart is an old Safeway store.  What say you FOTD?

Yes that is 51st and Harvard and the reason I know that is there was a riding academy right behind it called Millerwood.  I took lessons there from the time I was five until I was fifteen.  We would ride the horses up behind the store, tie the horse to the fence and go buy a coke.  We thought that was so cool.
waterboy
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 07:51:57 am »

quote:
Originally posted by booWorld

North side of E 13th Place, east of Wheeling?

Looks like many houses over in Morningside which is the same period of construction. Have you noticed that the yards were not too tidy and the windows are always open? These are great memories for us boomers.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 08:13:32 am »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

quote:

North side of E 13th Place, east of Wheeling?

Looks like many houses over in Morningside which is the same period of construction. Have you noticed that the yards were not too tidy and the windows are always open? These are great memories for us boomers.

Wow, you really ARE old...

[Tongue]

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
booWorld
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 11:42:19 am »

Northeast corner of 5th & Cheyenne (where the Mayo Hotel is now):

Source:  Beryl Ford Collection / Tulsa Rotary Club, Tulsa City-County Library, Tulsa Historical Society
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:05:25 pm by booWorld » Logged
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 11:58:32 am »

Beautiful craftsman! Could this have been in downtown? What a shame that it is gone.
booWorld
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 11:59:06 am »

The Evans Apartments on the northeast corner of 6th and Cheyenne (ONEOK's wisteria trellis is there now):

Source:  Beryl Ford Collection / Tulsa Rotary Club, Tulsa City-County Library, Tulsa Historical Society
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 12:03:05 pm »

quote:

West side of Denver Ave, south of 16th Place:

This is the "Rosen" house formerly occupied by an oil company. Currently for sale, the inside is incredible: the living room floor is hard wood laid in concentric patterns.
JohnnyK
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 05:04:24 pm »

quote:

Southeast corner of 14th & Carson, just east of the Carlton Place arch:

A guy by the last name of Kinney owned it back in the late 80's. He had converted the house and the house behind it (you can see the steps going up to the 2nd floor)into apts. I lived in one of the apartments on the ground floor of the house in back. It was purchased by another family in the 90's and they converted both buildings back into houses. The house in back was a "Servants Quarters" at one time, if I remember correctly.
FOTD
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 05:12:28 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

quote:
Originally posted by bugo

Where was this taken?  It was taken in 1962.  In 62, US 64/OK 51 made right-angle turns at 15th and Harvard, 51st and Harvard, and 51st and Memorial.  My guess is one of those 3 locations.

51st & Harvard, I think, as I believe Stein Mart is an old Safeway store.  What say you FOTD?

I say the street comish back then did his job much better than our Pewbic Diswerks depotment.

Joe Creek flooded all the time and Millerwood was the main draw.

I ain't that old Conan[:X]
FOTD
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 05:21:07 pm »

quote:

South side of East 18th St, between Norfolk and Owasso Avenues:

Suckretary of State when she lived here as a Mayor's wiper and then Mayor.....like 1985-1999.
Just a guess.....

waterboy
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 06:30:31 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by FOTD

quote:

South side of East 18th St, between Norfolk and Owasso Avenues:

Suckretary of State when she lived here as a Mayor's wiper and then Mayor.....like 1985-1999.
Just a guess.....

I don't think so. The guy who lived here would never have voted for her either even though she was a close neighbor.
booWorld
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 07:48:58 pm »

1907 E 13th Place.  There is a Loch Ness monster type of sculpture "swimming" through the front lawn now.  The house on the left in the photo (west) was removed for an off ramp when the Broken Arrow Expressway ended just to the south of the houses in this photo.

Two doors to the west of this house is a bungalow on the northwest corner of 13th Place and Wheeling (1320 S Wheeling Ave).  It was featured in an enormous black and white photo at Tulsa's airport.  I don't know if it's on display there anymore or not.

Looking northwest:

Looking north:

« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 07:35:01 am by booWorld » Logged
waterboy
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 08:41:31 pm »

The thing I like about the Ford pics is that they capture the feel. Maybe because they're black/white.  You can feel the heat when you see the windows wide open. No one had central air but maybe an occassional window unit by the late fifties or water cooler. You can feel the dry grass crunch under your feet. No one had weed eaters, power edgers, or even power mowers so the yards often looked a little unkempt. They had chairs on their front porches they even sat in on hot evenings. These are all things I remember when I had a paper route in the old Hillcrest edition in the sixties. Those homes were merely 30-35 years old then and still had the original owners tending them. Would be like viewing pics of homes built in the late seventies today...Park Plaza, Southern Hills, Woodland Hills etc.

Anyway, they're fun.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 08:44:32 pm by waterboy » Logged
citizen72
Civic Leader

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 10:35:38 pm »

Wow, that was fun. Any more?

^^^^^

"Never a skillful sailor made who always sailed calm seas."
MichaelBates
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 10:49:57 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by citizen72

Wow, that was fun. Any more?

There are a lot of Beryl Ford photos that could use more detailed identification. A while back I suggested to the library to put the collection up on Flickr, where photos could be "geotagged" and collect comments and tags. It would be great to have the Beryl Ford photos geotagged so that, when you do a Flickr map search, you could find the historic photos for a given spot.

The Library of Congress, the Smithsonian Institution, and a few other archives are already doing a pilot project using Flickr with some of their photo collections. For many photos, they have little or no identifying information, and they're hoping it will be easier for people to encounter and identify the photos on Flickr.

The Tulsa library is looking at better ways to organize and display the collection; I hope they consider this option.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org