A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:59:13 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OLD - WALMART SAND SPRINGS  (Read 35140 times)
roscoe
Citizen

« on: July 21, 2008, 12:54:06 pm »

I have heard from a good source that this place is getting ready to be filled...It's going to bring about 120 jobs to the Sand Springs area...again it's top secret on what's it's going to be...

Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 02:53:12 pm »

Interesting. I heard just last week that a Wal-Mart Family Market was going in there.

I'm assuming it is actually going to be something else.
Bones013
Citizen

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 04:50:37 pm »

Any kind of positive growth in Prattville would be nice. My house was built in one of the new subdivisions in Angus Valley 3 1/2 years ago. I was hoping that I was getting in on the beginning of an area of growth. Then I quickly learned about Sand Springs city gov't.

A couple of years ago the mayor tried to get a movie theater to to take over the old Wal-Mart site. Since then I still hear the same specualtion about Lowes, and a whole slew of national chains. I don't think I'll hold my breath for a neighborhood market, even though with the the new developments and close proximity to Berryhill, West Tulsa and such, a neighborhood market would probably kill over here.

My best guess is that it will be a machine shop.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:54:09 pm by Bones013 » Logged
mrhaskellok
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 04:57:44 pm »

What kind of ED operation do they have?  Does Sand Springs own the building?
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 09:55:34 am »

This would be great. For some odd reason, I bought a house in Prattville. Now I'm desperate to get back to midtown where I grew up.
Bones013
Citizen

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 11:27:09 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nik

This would be great. For some odd reason, I bought a house in Prattville. Now I'm desperate to get back to midtown where I grew up.

I have talked to several neighbors and they feel the same way.  I know of two families who moved just for that reason.  
breitee
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 01:28:43 pm »

SOMETHING needs to be done with the old Wal-Mart, and NOT another Cheapo Depot or Big Lots. Lowe's, Home Depot, Office Depot, Staples, Kohl's or anything decent will do. Also the old Burger King needs a new tenant. Boarded up buildings don't generate any tax revenue. The city "leaders" need to stop the secrecy on these projects.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 02:50:53 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by breitee

SOMETHING needs to be done with the old Wal-Mart, and NOT another Cheapo Depot or Big Lots. Lowe's, Home Depot, Office Depot, Staples, Kohl's or anything decent will do. Also the old Burger King needs a new tenant. Boarded up buildings don't generate any tax revenue. The city "leaders" need to stop the secrecy on these projects.

Well your first problem was assuming that the City of Sand Springs had any leaders.

What is has is a fully entrenched good ol boys network.
breitee
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 08:07:53 am »

quote:
Originally posted by wavoka

quote:
Originally posted by breitee

Well your first problem was assuming that the City of Sand Springs had any leaders.

What is has is a fully entrenched good ol boys network.

Boy, isn't that the truth! Good old boy Walker is only good for announcing football games and Enevoldsen is a highly paid do nothing talking head. They constantly speak of the economic development just over the horizon, but it is sadly all talk. Thank God Calhoun is gone!
tulsa_fan
Civic Leader

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 10:27:43 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Bones013

quote:
Originally posted by Nik

I have talked to several neighbors and they feel the same way.  I know of two families who moved just for that reason.  

So I didn't want to be a snob and rub it in, but I am thrilled to say we moved back into Florence Park last week and are beyond ELATED to be out of Prattville (yes, lawsuit with builder over house leaves a bad taste in our mouth . . )  Saturday I hit Harvard Meats for steaks, Collins Liquor for drinks and Sooner Produce for veggies, all within a mile, we've been walking to eat at nearby restaurants, take the kids to the park daily, walking every night, just a real happy camper to be back.  My husband & I have made a pact, never leave midtown again.   I can't say it's all bad Sand Springs fault, but there are several things I don't miss about living there (driving miles and miles for a decent grocery store . . )

waterboy
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 07:46:19 am »

Sand Springs/Prattville is still a small town at heart. That is both a blessing and a source of consternation for anyone trying to do stuff there. It reminds me a lot of Broken Arrow back in the early 80's as far as personality. But they are not benefitting from the south Tulsa sprawl that BA had. I had little difficulty working with the SS parks department with my business. It was relaxed and welcoming as opposed to the rest of the metro.

However, the local paper can't write a story correctly and the residents are too busy working and driving to Tulsa to get too involved. Take the problems Tulsa has and multiply by 10. Enevoldsen? Met him at a river planning meeting. I related my positive views of the city and talked about my first hand knowledge of their part of the river and how I might use that to give insight on its development. IOW I volunteered to help. He said he would pass my card to his staff. Never heard from anyone again.
buck
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 08:20:43 pm »

I hope your right about something going in there and not Cheapo Depo. One of the worst stores ever.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 07:43:47 am »

So, Roscoe, when will this news be public?
breitee
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2008, 07:45:18 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Nik

So, Roscoe, when will this news be public?

Still waiting.................
Oklahomalady
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 08:27:43 pm »

and wating.....[Tongue] We're used to waiting in Sand Springs.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org