A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:17:17 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OLD - WALMART SAND SPRINGS  (Read 35121 times)
breitee
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 03:22:15 pm »

............and waiting......................
breitee
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 06:51:24 am »

Still waiting Roscoe. What's the deal?
breitee
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2009, 03:13:53 pm »

..................AND WAITING..................
roscoe
Citizen

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 08:16:58 am »

Project has been put on hold

mrburns918
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 12:58:11 pm »

Sand Springs will continue to wallow as long as it has the current slack jawed mouth breathers in city council.

I remember a meeting regarding wanting to turn the old Hissom Memorial into a community center. Everyone ranting about how wonderful it would be, even had a contractor there talking about the costs (the estimate he was using was about five years old). I countered the contractor's estimate, the need for at least three other bids from OTHER contractors, the idiocy of putting a community center outside the community of Sand Springs, the upkeep costs which weren't even addressed, etc. etc. and was simply told by a couple of the slack jawed locals that I was an outsider agitator.

I simply responded "I leave you all to yourselves".

Sand Springs has so much potential, too bad the incestous dynamics will never allow it to grow.

Mr. Burns
roscoe
Citizen

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 02:15:53 pm »

* Home
    * News

Tractor Supply to open in former Walmart building

* Story
    * Comments (13)

Share This

Send this page to your friends
Print
    Create a hardcopy of this page
Font Size:
    Default font size
    Larger font size

PAUL WALDSCHMIDT/LEADER Contractors pull old fixtures from the ceiling in the former Walmart store in south Sand Springs as part of a remodeling project for a new tenant, Tractor Supply Co. The farm supply company plans to renovate the southern part of the building and should be open by the end of March.

Posted: Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:57 pm | Updated: 10:43 am, Fri Jan 7, 2011.

By Paul Waldschmidt
Staff Writer
paulw@sandspringsleader.com | 13 comments

Tractor Supply Co. plans to open a store in south Sand Springs in the former Walmart building this spring.

Officials for the farm supply company, based in Brentwood, Tenn., say the remodeling project is expected to take about seven weeks.

“We plan to be open by March 26,” said Will Polisky, project manager for Tractor Supply.

Contractors are already at work remodeling the inside of the building.

According to the City of Sand Springs building permit, the project is valued at $300,000 and will involve approximately 34,000 square feet.

The entire building -- located at 3829 S. State Highway 97 -- is approximately 90,000 square feet.

Tractor Supply will lease the southern part of the building and will use part of the outside area, Polisky said.

“We expect Sand Springs to be a very good market for us,” Polisky said, adding that the chain already has stores in Bristow and Glenpool.

"The new Sand Springs location is attractive due to the part-time and hobby farmers and horse owners in the area," Rob Hoskins, with Tractor Supply media relations, said.

Hoskins said the store plans to employ between 12 to 17 full and part- time team members.

"This is an outstanding announcement for our community, and we are very excited about Tractor Supply locating their store as an anchor in the Springs Village Shopping Center," said Mayor Bob Walker. "This will bring a big boost to a highly visible area along the Highway 97 corridor, and to the business community in south Sand Springs."

Walker predicted Tractor Supply will be “a highly successful business here. The infill of business in a building that has been vacant for several years will benefit tax revenues both for the City and our schools. It's a win-win situation for all of us."

According to its website, Tractor Supply Co. is the largest retail farm and ranch store chain in the United States. The company operates more than 950 retail stores in 40 states and employs more than 13,000 team members. Its stock is traded on the NASDAQ exchange under the symbol “TSCO.”

The company was founded in 1938 as a mail order catalog business offering tractor parts to America’s family farmers. Today Tractor Supply is a leading retailer with revenues surpassing $3 billion.

Tractor Supply stores are primarily located in rural areas and the outlying suburbs of major cities. The typical Tractor Supply store has 15,000-24,000 square feet of inside selling space with a similar amount of outside space used to display agricultural fencing, livestock equipment and horse stalls.

waterboy
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 01:55:10 pm »

This may not be as much a net gain as the mayor thinks. There is already an Atwoods farm store on the north side of the river. I'm sure that store will show a decrease in taxable sales. The city is not growing that fast and can hardly support two large ranch and farm stores. But beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Sand Springs has the same sort of bifurcation that Bixby has (for the same reason, a river runs through it) only the south half of SS was once Prattville. Having worked in BA back when it was the size of SS, I see some similarity. BA's mayor was a gas station owner/operator back then backed up with a hodge podge set of administrators linked mostly by church and school board affiliation. Rhema was big dog and instrumental in helping them grow.

In SS the "home" is the big dog. If they intend to grow, SS must evolve from a small town kind of leadership and avoid having one side of the river adversely compete with the other. Just my opinion anyway.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 02:57:02 pm »

If Siloam Springs can support both TSC and Atwoods, I think Sand Springs can do it, too.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
waterboy
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 03:37:52 pm »

Oh, they'll support them both. I doubt either one will fail. But it won't increase the $$ spent on ranch and farm or increase net taxation unless folks are travelling from Prattville to Sapulpa for some odd reason and decide to change patterns. Now the same size city will have two farm stores and a WalMart to find their stuff. Lowes or Home Depot would have been a good fit too.

Still, from a pr perspective its good to have that building filled and perhaps leveraging more nearby sales.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 05:16:40 pm »

Is this a discussion of Sand Springs or Tulsa?  I'm getting confused, but I guess it's understandable since they both have the same kind of good ole boys network.  Just a matter of scale.

Sad that people are moving back out.  I spent a lot of time in SS in younger years and their is a certain 'attraction' to the character of the place.  But I can see if you want to live in new/modern suburbia how it might not work out so well.  SS attraction has a lot to do with its 'olderness'. 

Could part of the problem be that people move there for the quaintness/quirkyness/smalltowncharm and then take with them what they are ostensibly moving to get away from??  Like the ones who move to the country on a "farmette"?  Like WalMart and other big box stores?

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 05:21:07 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 09:01:58 pm »

http://sandspringsleader.com/news/six-months-in-city-manager-lays-out-strategy-for-next/article_cdd150a8-15e7-11e1-af39-001cc4c03286.html

I first heard about this a couple months ago, but they were having issues with the current owner. Hope this moves forward.
Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 10:41:25 pm »

That old Wal-Mart isn't large enough to be a Reasor's.
roscoe
Citizen

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 12:06:48 pm »

The Tractor Supply would move into the Homeland store.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 12:16:02 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20111220_11_0_SandSp455754

Reasors to open Sand Springs location

Reasor’s will open a new supermarket in the Prattville area of Sand Springs, the second new location the Tahlequah-based grocer has announced this year.

The 65,000-square foot store will be located at the northeast corner of West 41st Street and Oklahoma 97 at the site of a former Walmart store.

“If all goes as planned, the new store is expected to open for business by late next summer,” said Allen Mills, Reasor’s president and chief strategy officer, in a statement Tuesday.

According to a statement from the company, the new store will include departments for sushi, seafood, fresh meat, produce, bakery, deli, olive bar, specialty foods and a pharmacy in addition to a full-service supermarket.

The store is expected to employ about 200 people.

In September, the company announced a new store in Bixby expected to open sometime in 2012.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20111220_11_0_SandSp455754
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2011, 01:24:57 pm »

One thing Reasor's needs to learn about Prattville though: They need to refer to "sushi" as "bait".

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org