A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.
 
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2017, 11:32:17 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PlaniTulsa and TulsaNow  (Read 9969 times)
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 1526



WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 12:47:01 pm »

I did see an older gentleman raise his hand at the end after the meeting was ended, and so I suppose his question was not answered. I'm curious to know if he submitted his question via notecard as instructed and it wasn't asked, or if he just wanted to ask his own questions without utilizing the appropriate channels.
Logged

---Robert
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder
******
Offline Offline

Posts: 12861


« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 12:52:08 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A
An hour and a half of self promotion, followed by a half hour of Q & A was not the forum I was expecting. It's a shame the forum ended without everyone who bothered to show up and submit their questions having the opportunity to get their questions asked.

The fact remains that this plan is still woefully underfunded and is being rushed for purely political purposes.

I hope you all got the message that the public wants this Comp plan update to go to a public vote for approval and adoption. Any other method is unacceptable, period. If this is a truly public process, the public should have the final say.

I have to disagree with the assessment that race is the biggest division in Tulsa. It's the economic divisions that divide Tulsa more than anything else. It was refreshing to hear Frego touch on this, however briefly, stressing the importance of mixed income development as an important piece of the the puzzle to create a thriving, vibrant community. To bad this usually falls on deaf ears with the Tulsa Now crowd.

P.S. real diverse crowd there, BTW.[sarcasm off]




I won a bet with another poster that doubleA would find five or more reasons to be negative about last night's meeting.

I bet he would claim it was all rigged, his questions were purposely ignored, all the room was all cheerleaders from midtown who all look alike. I also thought he would add that the process was rush and political and he would make a disparaging remark about the Mayor. I was impressed that he skipped the last one this time and I also underestimated his creativity to add threats that the process wasn't public enough, despite being the most open process in the city in decades.

Nothing that is done will ever be good enough for him. He is obsessed with class envy and can't accept the fact that any of the leaders are worth our patience.

This meeting had an excellent crowd, despite happening on a busy night. The types of people I saw and met were from very diverse backgrounds. This process is going very well, despite his grumblings.
Logged

Power is nothing till you use it.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2718


WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2008, 01:14:37 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PonderInc

There was actually an hour of presentations and an hour of Q&A.  Ken did a great job of consolidating similar questions so that we could get through them all.  (Which we did.)  AA, did you ask a question that didn't get answered?  I stayed around after the meeting, and I didn't hear anyone complain that we didn't get to their question.  However, you've got me thinking that anyone with questions should post them, and maybe we can get them answered on this forum.

I was excited to see how many people stuck around to chat in small groups after the meeting ended.  I hope they were all coming up with strategies to get their neighbors, co-workers, etc involved.  As Fregonese pointed out, if everyone in the crowd (135 was my final count) talks to 5 people...that's a pretty good start.



Really? Why was Wormtail suggesting the forum continue to get to the remaining questions, then? If the video of this event is broadcast on  
TGOV unedited, it will show that. It will also show that the presentation portion lasted longer than the hour you suggest. BTW, did it ever occur to you that those who showed up to ask questions at the event might not have access to the internet? If you really want this process to be inclusive, making those assumptions doesn't work towards that goal. BTW, I am not the only one who has posted that they were disappointed that the forum was so presentation heavy. One more thing, why was there a microphone in the audience if the forum Q&A was going to be administered through a question screener?
Logged

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2718


WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2008, 01:18:25 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

I know. I was out in the lobby afterwards complaining that it didnt look like the crowd was that mixed, that there werent any blacks represented. Then not but a couple seconds later a group of them walked out of the auditorium. Still wish there had been more but the PlaniTulsa people did say they were going to have a meeting soon in the Greenwood area. So it does look like they are reaching out to different areas and different groups. Perhaps TN should consider getting The Eagle to run info about meetings like this that we have?





Hey dumb****, OSU Tulsa is in Greenwood.
Logged

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2459


« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2008, 01:27:29 pm »

To promote the event, TulsaNow sent out press releases to all major media outlets (TV, radio, print) a week and a half before the event.  We also sent out personal emails to individuals from various diverse communities asking them to help spread the word.  We got good coverage from TV and radio prior to the event, but nothing from Urban Tulsa (which surprised me) or the Oklahoma Eagle.  The TW included a tiny bit of info on the meeting in an article about the PLANiTULSA polling/research results.

I definitely saw some new faces at the event.  And different individuals said that they heard about it on the radio or TV, etc.  But I would definitely like to reach more people.  It's just hard to reach folks with kids or people whow work long hours or two jobs or whatever...that prevents them from going out at night for a public event.

If anyone has good ideas for more effective outreach, please share.  

(We did consider calling the event "Free Beer" or "Bedlam Football"...)
Logged
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2718


WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 02:23:33 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

quote:
Originally posted by Double A
An hour and a half of self promotion, followed by a half hour of Q & A was not the forum I was expecting. It's a shame the forum ended without everyone who bothered to show up and submit their questions having the opportunity to get their questions asked.

The fact remains that this plan is still woefully underfunded and is being rushed for purely political purposes.

I hope you all got the message that the public wants this Comp plan update to go to a public vote for approval and adoption. Any other method is unacceptable, period. If this is a truly public process, the public should have the final say.

I have to disagree with the assessment that race is the biggest division in Tulsa. It's the economic divisions that divide Tulsa more than anything else. It was refreshing to hear Frego touch on this, however briefly, stressing the importance of mixed income development as an important piece of the the puzzle to create a thriving, vibrant community. To bad this usually falls on deaf ears with the Tulsa Now crowd.

P.S. real diverse crowd there, BTW.[sarcasm off]




I won a bet with another poster that doubleA would find five or more reasons to be negative about last night's meeting.

I bet he would claim it was all rigged, his questions were purposely ignored, all the room was all cheerleaders from midtown who all look alike. I also thought he would add that the process was rush and political and he would make a disparaging remark about the Mayor. I was impressed that he skipped the last one this time and I also underestimated his creativity to add threats that the process wasn't public enough, despite being the most open process in the city in decades.

Nothing that is done will ever be good enough for him. He is obsessed with class envy and can't accept the fact that any of the leaders are worth our patience.

This meeting had an excellent crowd, despite happening on a busy night. The types of people I saw and met were from very diverse backgrounds. This process is going very well, despite his grumblings.



Once again, Spincycle exhibits the telltale signs of a pathological liar confronted with the truth.

The last Comp Plan update was developed over a six year period. This is being rushed to be done half that time so Da Mare can claim it as an accomplishment before her term is over. The last Comp Plan Update cost $700,000 in the 70's. To date, I am only aware of $500,000 allocated for the current Comp Plan Update. Adjust that for inflation, and do the math. Ridicule it if you want, it doesn't change the fact that it is true.

I do have something positive to say about last night's meeting and that is those in attendance  resoundingly voiced their support for a public vote to approve and adopt this Comp Plan update. Needless to say, I am not surprised to see that you would view that as a negative.

BTW, if you want the public involved, how about making a schedule of the Partners and Advisors meetings available at these functions. Or is pesky public participation not desired at these meetings? Are these meetings and corresponding agendas posted anywhere? There is nothing on the PlaniTulsa website. Nothing on the city of Tulsa website. Do they even allow public comments at these meetings? Do these meetings even have to comply with the open meetings laws? If the public would like to attend these meetings, will they be welcomed? You should know, considering wifey has the inside track. So put your money where your mouth is and start posting this information if you really want public participation and to instill public trust in this process.  

Logged

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2459


« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 03:13:54 pm »

The mic was there in case we had a low turnout.  With a large crowd, many people are uncomfortable standing up to ask questions.  (Public speaking being the number one phobia people have...) Also, people who DO get up to ask their questions tend to ramble.  (If it has to fit on a card, they're more efficient.)  Using the mic with a large crowd would have simply reduced the number of questions that we could get answered....and the number of people willing to ask questions.
Logged
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder
******
Offline Offline

Posts: 12861


« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 04:10:03 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A
This is being rushed to be done half that time so Da Mare can claim it as an accomplishment before her term is over.

You really should try to have the facts when you make up innuendo.

The handout last night said the process has a timeline that runs through December 2009. That means the plan won't be finished till after the November 2009 election.

I know you just want to find ways to hate the people involved. Last night was a great chance for people to get involved. There will be plenty more chances for every voice to be heard.
Face it. your whining when everybody else participating really shows your bias.
 
Logged

Power is nothing till you use it.
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2718


WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 04:36:43 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

quote:
Originally posted by Double A
This is being rushed to be done half that time so Da Mare can claim it as an accomplishment before her term is over.

You really should try to have the facts when you make up innuendo.

The handout last night said the process has a timeline that runs through December 2009. That means the plan won't be finished till after the November 2009 election.

I know you just want to find ways to hate the people involved. Last night was a great chance for people to get involved. There will be plenty more chances for every voice to be heard.
Face it. your whining when everybody else participating really shows your bias.
 




Uh, Spincycle, the fact is this timeline was announced before that election date was changed.

Just for the record, to quote the Whirled:

 Mayor sets deadline for city plan update


By KEVIN CANFIELD World Staff Writer
11/16/2006
Last Modified: 3/30/2008  4:41 AM

Mayor Kathy Taylor is shooting to have the city's comprehensive plan update completed before her first term in office ends in 2009, the Tulsa Metropolitan Area Planning Commission learned Wednesday.



Your spin is just so easy to expose for lying sack of s*#t it is. Now, how about the scoop on those Partner/Advisor meetings? C'mon, put your money where your fat mouth is, honey. All you have to do is ask wifey for that info and share it with the rest of us in this oh so open and public process.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 04:39:32 pm by Double A » Logged

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
swake
T-Town Elder
******
Offline Offline

Posts: 7284



« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2008, 05:05:06 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A
Your spin is just so easy to expose for lying sack of s*#t it is. Now, how about the scoop on those Partner/Advisor meetings? C'mon, put your money where your fat mouth is, honey. All you have to do is ask wifey for that info and share it with the rest of us in this oh so open and public process.



Is this really needed?
Logged
OSU
Activist
**
Offline Offline

Posts: 134


WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2008, 05:33:18 pm »

I attended last night and was impressed with what I saw. I just graduated from OSU last year so I guess that makes me part of the desired "young professional" demographic. Since I graduated I have been trying to get out of Tulsa as if my life had depended upon it because I have perceived Tulsa as lacking a vision for the future.Portland is actually one of my original target cities along with Austin and Boston as my top cities. I'm glad that Tulsa is making strides to update its plan for the future and hopefully encourage me to stay. If Tulsa can move in the direction of Portland i.e. mixed use structures in an urban environment serviced by light rail or other efficient public transportation, I'll stay for the long haul.

p.s. I don't "know" anyone off of this forum; I know recyclemichael from TV reports, but I would chance a guess that I sat near DoubleA or some other angry man who mumbled to himself after every point in the presentation.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 05:34:18 pm by OSU » Logged

 
inteller
Guest
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2008, 06:09:33 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Double A

quote:
Originally posted by TheArtist

I know. I was out in the lobby afterwards complaining that it didnt look like the crowd was that mixed, that there werent any blacks represented. Then not but a couple seconds later a group of them walked out of the auditorium. Still wish there had been more but the PlaniTulsa people did say they were going to have a meeting soon in the Greenwood area. So it does look like they are reaching out to different areas and different groups. Perhaps TN should consider getting The Eagle to run info about meetings like this that we have?





Hey dumb****, OSU Tulsa is in Greenwood.




point proven.

let the disenfranchisement begin!

BTW, Frego is a good public speaker, but thats about it.  His almost rock star worship around here as some savior is getting a little ridiculous.

I thought the architect had more substance.
Logged
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2459


« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 01:10:26 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by OSU

I attended last night and was impressed with what I saw. I just graduated from OSU last year so I guess that makes me part of the desired "young professional" demographic. Since I graduated I have been trying to get out of Tulsa as if my life had depended upon it because I have perceived Tulsa as lacking a vision for the future.Portland is actually one of my original target cities along with Austin and Boston as my top cities. I'm glad that Tulsa is making strides to update its plan for the future and hopefully encourage me to stay. If Tulsa can move in the direction of Portland i.e. mixed use structures in an urban environment serviced by light rail or other efficient public transportation, I'll stay for the long haul.


I think that it's especially important that younger people get involved in this process.  You guys know what you want...and you know why you want to leave Tulsa. (We can try to guess what you want, but it's better if ya'll just speak up!)

Recently I was talking to a "YP" to get some marketing ideas for reaching out to the younger generation.  Her ideas blew me away...and reminded me how little I know about FaceBook and MySpace...and, by extension, communicating with folks in their early 20's.

Please spread the word...especially to HS & college students and recent grads...that we need them to participate in PLANiTULSA.  I know that there will be some specific efforts to connect to younger folks, but it's best if the momentum and excitement comes from within.  Talk to your friends about it. Stay informed. Get busy brainstorming.  And most importantly, show up at the community workshops en masse!

City-Wide workshops will be Sept 22 and 23.  Neighborhood workshops will begin in January.
Logged
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2718


WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 11:54:26 pm »

Will PlaniTulsa do "outreach" at DFest?
Logged

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Double A
Sofa King Banned
City Father
*****
Offline Offline

Posts: 2718


WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2008, 04:37:07 am »

What happened to the videos of some previous Tulsa Now land use forums(i.e passing the popsicle test, CORE proposals,Building the 'Beautiful' Back Into Tulsa"etc.)? I thought there used to be links to these on the TulsaNow website. I think these would be good resources to review that were generally well received as we discuss the comp plan update.


Logged

<center>
</center>
The clash of ideas is the sound of freedom. Ars Longa, Vita Brevis!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

 
  Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
 

Mission

 

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

 

Contact

 

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org