A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:59:01 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 11th and Peoria  (Read 4984 times)
Gold
« on: July 14, 2008, 09:11:55 am »

There is an old tire place or mechanic there; in the last several months, someone has bought it and added an odd irish motif.  They also have painted (or covered) the old sign with orange.  Every time I drive by, there is some goofy decal lettering.

I keep wondering if this is a bar, but there are never any vehicles parked when I drive by.  What is it -- just some eccentric guy, an artist, a bar, or just one of those weird things in Tulsa that defies explanation?

Sorry if this has been discussed before.
NellieBly
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:02:21 am »

Donal Cosgrove, former owner of Arnie's, bought it. Don't know what his plans are. You could definitely call him eccentric. He was selling hot dogs on the corner.
Gold
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:11:08 am »

I miss old school Arnie's.  The current ownership is a little too cute and entreprenuerial.  Back when it first moved downtown, it was a wild place.  Then again, it's probably better this way . . .

It makes no sense to open a bar across the street from Corner Cafe and around the corner from a whole lot of prostitutes, unless you are trying to become Orphas's II.
tshane250
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 11:53:06 am »

I think it is supposed to be an Irish Pub.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 07:41:11 pm »

You sure about that Nellie?  He's an idiot if he's being that visible in this town.  You sure it isn't Neil and Amy?

Donal's still got some outstanding bench warrants.  Word around the campfire was he high-tailed it back to Ireland some time back.  

http://www.oscn.net/applications/ocisweb/GetCaseInformation.asp?submitted=true&viewtype=caseGeneral&casemasterID=1689524&db=Tulsa

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cs6000
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 08:43:04 pm »

I stopped by for a hotdog one day, and the guy showed me around. If memory serves, he was planning to make it into a lunch/pub type place. He didn't seem Irish to me, more NY Yankee. He had started working inside,but didn't have much done.

Have noticed its all quiet there now.
mrB
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 09:18:01 pm »

quote:

NewsOn6.com
Irish Pub Dream Living On A Hot Dog Budget
Updated: Sep 7, 2007 10:00 PM CDT

The building's been a gas station, a tune up shop and a used tire store, but if all goes well it will soon become an Irish pub. The News On 6’s Rick Wells reports, for now, the Irish pub dream is living on a hot dog budget.

Donal Cosgrave is getting ready for the lunch rush at his new hot dog spot at 11th and Peoria, but there are architects, permits and construction delays.

"In the meantime, I have nothing to do and I love to work, so I bought a New York hot dog cart and I bought a bunch of Sabrett hot dogs," proprietor Donal Cosgrave said.

Actually he bought 600 pounds of their hot dogs, and also their prepackaged sautéed onions and sauerkraut.

"These are the Sabretts and I'm selling polish sausages also," Cosgrave said.

But the hot dog business is just a temporary diversion from the real objective, the pub. He says he already knows where the bar will be, and the kitchen, with big mirrors over the bar.

"Some two top tables and some four top tables, and a really old shuffleboard table that'll go over here," said Cosgrave.

He's gonna call the new place the Pearl Street Rambler, acknowledging Peoria's history as Pearl Street.

For now, the hot dog stand is open at 11th and Peoria, from 10:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. every day but Sunday.

Watch the video: Hotdog Vendor Dreams Of Opening Pub

All content © Copyright 2000-2007, WorldNow and KOTV. All Rights Reserved.

quote:

Offender Lookup

Annie
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 08:28:15 am »

Re: DONAL COSGROVE
Doesnt look too good, he is in Ireland at present on the look out for a irish pub, does anyone know him personally?  Has he been in prison?  Does he owe money to anyone?  What was Arnies pub like, would appreciate any info on him, ta
Gold
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 08:47:46 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Annie

Re: DONAL COSGROVE
Doesnt look too good, he is in Ireland at present on the look out for a irish pub, does anyone know him personally?  Has he been in prison?  Does he owe money to anyone?  What was Arnies pub like, would appreciate any info on him, ta

Arnie's is still around downtown.  I really like it, though the smoke bothers me so much that I only go when it's warm (they have a patio).  I think it has cleaned up from several years ago -- I've been at all hours of the day and it seems like a more legit crowd in there.  That's not to say it wasn't legit a few years ago, but some weird stuff happened there from time to time that I don't see anymore.

Sometimes you'll see the McNellie's employees hanging out there, if that gives you any indication of its quality.

And, maybe I'm off, but it seems to me the writing on that sign at 11 and Peoria keeps changing every couple of weeks.  Occaisionally it's funny, but it's usually just obscure.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 11:54:13 am »

Annie,

Let's just say Donal probably is not anyone you want to be in business with, and yes, he does have a $350,000 bench warrant out right now for his arrest.  I'm sending you a personal message.

Arnie's is a cozy place but the smoke irritates me as well.  Both incarnations have been "cozy" and smoky.  The original location on Cherry St. was about 25ft. wide.  Very cramped, very smoky.  That is now the location of Drake's.  I used to go there more, but they don't serve Marshall Brewing Co. products so I spend my money at places which do.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 11:55:33 am by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
NellieBly
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 09:48:36 am »

I've known Donal for years. He's a huge jerk and totally Irish. His mother lives there. He can stay there forever and I don't think anyone would care.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org