A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:13:19 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Driller Stadium architects  (Read 14332 times)
chlfan
Activist

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 12:23:21 pm »

Just curious, how does that area of town handle heavy rains? (drainage/storm sewer wise)

Onward through the fog.
Friendly Bear
City Father

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 12:52:49 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RecycleMichael

I thought that the ballpark needed a new thread because the other was months old and there had been a lot of new stuff announced recently.

Here is the Tulsa World story with more of the financing details and a link to the slide show of renderings provided by HOK architects.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080627_11_hr05082

Here is the HOK website of the arenas they have had a part in creating...

http://www.hoksport.com/arenas/

Here is their list of stadiums they are part of...

http://www.hoksport.com/stadiums/

This is going to be the most famous baseball stadium in the world...the new Yankee Stadium...

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/future/YankeeStadiumII.htm

These guys are the best in the business. I always thought it was cool that we hired Pelli to do the arena. These guys look like they are in his rare class in this type of work.

HOK Sports were the Pied Pipers that lead the voters into approving the original "MAPS" sales tax concept for Oklahoma City.

TulsaSooner
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 12:56:36 pm »

Yes and that has worked out horribly for OKC.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 01:45:36 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by booWorld

quote:
Originally posted by Gaspar

...Additionally if several firms work as a team (frequently done on large projects) It would be fantastic.

A stadium is a known formula.  You know the programming, traffic flow, the estimated capacity and how all of the systems work...

A few years ago, the OU Urban Design Studio did a very interesting study for a downtown ballpark project.

I'd like to see some of their ideas incorporated into the design.  There are many talented designers right here in Tulsa.

I just re-read it and it looks like the same stuff HOK has done in the past.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 02:26:13 pm »

While the orientation of some of the buildings (at least right now) leaves something to be desired, I like the overall design of the OSU-Tulsa campus.  The brick is indicative of buildings in the surrounding Brady/Greenwood area while you'll also find Deco influence in the details, like at the windows, the roofline, and this fountain:

Something like that design that merges brick and Deco, with lots of glass, would look really slick in Brady.  It would go with new arrivals in Brady like Wallace Engineering's HQ and KOTV's new digs...

« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 02:26:53 pm by SXSW » Logged

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 02:31:52 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

quote:

quote:

...Additionally if several firms work as a team (frequently done on large projects) It would be fantastic.

A stadium is a known formula.  You know the programming, traffic flow, the estimated capacity and how all of the systems work...

A few years ago, the OU Urban Design Studio did a very interesting study for a downtown ballpark project.

I'd like to see some of their ideas incorporated into the design.  There are many talented designers right here in Tulsa.

I just re-read it and it looks like the same stuff HOK has done in the past.

It is.  They have canned presentations ready to pull off the shelf.  Not that there's anything wrong with that. They have a process that works very well for them.

Just don't feel like you're special.  [:O]

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
mrB
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2008, 02:42:33 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SXSW

Someone told me SemGroup will be a major donor, and that it would likely be called SemGroup Ballpark.  Not sure how true that is though.  QuikTrip, Williams, and ONEOK come to mind as other local companies that could be donors.

QuikTrip already has a ballpark!

QT Buys Naming Rights to Texas Minor League Stadium
Tulsa Business Journal Staff
4/16/2008

more stadium pics >>

EricP
Civic Leader

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2008, 03:34:08 pm »

lol.. looks like the guys at quiktrip park have seen the wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man!

http://www.wackywavinginflatablearmflailingtubeman.com/

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 04:36:53 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by chlfan

Just curious, how does that area of town handle heavy rains? (drainage/storm sewer wise)

If you've ever walked or biked to downtown from the river, you know that it's very much UPHILL.  I don't know about the storm drains or the tricks of designing a "sunken" ballpark, but I never really worry about flooding downtown.  Even with all the surface parking lots contributing to runoff, I've never had a problem downtown.  (Except that one December when a broken water main caused a blackout of the entire CBD!)  I do remember one time when we had a flash flood, and the trains had to stop on the tracks near Boulder b/c the tracks in that location were totally submerged...
booWorld
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 07:23:43 am »

quote:

...They have canned presentations ready to pull off the shelf.  Not that there's anything wrong with that. They have a process that works very well for them...

Gaspar:  Who are "they"?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 08:34:01 am by booWorld » Logged
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 07:46:25 am »

quote:

quote:

...They have canned presentations ready to pull off the shelf.  Not that there's anything wrong with that. They have a process that works very well for them...

Who is "they"?

HOK
inteller
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2008, 08:25:36 am »

SO I guess when this is built they'll be calling it QuikTrip Park...or will they be truely lazy and just let it be named BOk Park?

Would someone please de-annex downtown so it can be called Bokville?
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2008, 09:12:08 am »

Semgroup Park
OSU
Activist

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2008, 09:44:06 am »

Inteller- whenever I read one of your posts I always get an image in my head....

this picture

Am I alone in this?

I personally wouldn't mind it BOK sponsored everything downtown, if they have the money to dole out we could rename the streaks bok Boston, bok Cheyenne, and so on.

rwarn17588
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2008, 10:47:56 am »

quote:
Originally posted by OSU

Inteller- whenever I read one of your posts I always get an image in my head....

this picture

Am I alone in this?

No.

Although I also picture inteller being forcibly dragged to a psychiatrist's couch.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org