Low voltage damage?

(1/5) > >>

waterboy:
We got our power back on Sunday pm but the voltage is so low that the central a/c, the televisions and the washer/dryer will not turn on. The lights are dim. Thank heavens the portable fans work.

How much damage is being done to appliances and a/c systems by running on this low voltage?

sgrizzle:
Sounds to me like your power isn't fully restored. Do you have a voltmeter?

waterboy:
No. It is strangely quiet through the neighborhood so I'm guessing everyone else is also low power. I suppose I should call PSO along with 70,000 others?

sgrizzle:
quote:Originally posted by waterboy

No. It is strangely quiet through the neighborhood so I'm guessing everyone else is also low power. I suppose I should call PSO along with 70,000 others?

Probably so. The customer number is lower than that currently so I doubt it will be that bad. I would go ahead and flip off the breaker for or unplug anything you aren't using just in case. I'm thinking you are short a phase right now so that is why everything 220v isn't working and some of your 110v stuff (the TV).

waterboy:
Thanks. I am just ecstatic that I may not have to replace my a/c unit. Lightning struck a tree up the street which crashed into the power pole which threw live wires into their swimming pool and started their kitchen appliances smoking. The the humm of transformers began to fill the air. Apparently they were lucky as I hear stories filtering in about the rest of the city. With no TV or dependable radio its hard to tell. That was a serious wind.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page