A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:19:04 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a New Truck Cheap?  (Read 3254 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: May 09, 2008, 09:40:41 am »

I just heard that SUVs and trucks on the East and West coasts are selling at cost at dealerships because no one is buying them.  You can buy one and ship/drive it here  cheaper than you can get one locally at the dealership.

The same is true of used SUVs!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 10:11:12 am »

SUV and truck sales are down 28% over same quarter 2007

However, in 2007 SUV and truck sales were up 20% over what they were same quarter 2006.

Keep in mind, Dodge and Ford are both at the end of their current model runs, launching new product Q3 and all discontinued models sell poorly. GM sales are down because GM can't get their head out of their ( | ) and realize that by selling 20 versions of the same car and truck, they are doing nothing but jacking up their overhead and making cars virtually unprofitable. GMC needs to be discontinued at minimum.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 10:11:27 am by sgrizzle » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 11:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaspar

I just heard that SUVs and trucks on the East and West coasts are selling at cost at dealerships because no one is buying them.  You can buy one and ship/drive it here  cheaper than you can get one locally at the dealership.

Where'd you get that information?  I call shenanigans.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 11:24:39 am by Townsend » Logged
waterboy
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:45:30 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Townsend

quote:

Where'd you get that information?  I call shenanigans.

Nah, I heard it reported on both NPR and CBS evening news with...Katie Couric.
slhtulsa
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:20:27 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by sgrizzle

However, in 2007 SUV and truck sales were up 20% over what they were same quarter 2006.

Keep in mind, Dodge and Ford are both at the end of their current model runs, launching new product Q3 and all discontinued models sell poorly. GM sales are down because GM can't get their head out of their ( | ) and realize that by selling 20 versions of the same car and truck, they are doing nothing but jacking up their overhead and making cars virtually unprofitable. GMC needs to be discontinued at minimum.

Why would they discontinue GMC???  It is the only brand at GM that has grown in sales for the last 11 years??  GMC was around before Chevrolet...it's not going away...
waterboy
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 08:14:23 am »

Isn't GMC made on the same production line from the same basic Chevy truck? My understanding is that GMC is higher trim level (more profit) than standard truck but basically the same truck which is why they may not drop it.
MH2010
Philanthropist

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 09:34:53 am »

quote:
Originally posted by waterboy

Isn't GMC made on the same production line from the same basic Chevy truck? My understanding is that GMC is higher trim level (more profit) than standard truck but basically the same truck which is why they may not drop it.

I thought it was the other way around.
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 03:10:33 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by slhtulsa
Why would they discontinue GMC???  It is the only brand at GM that has grown in sales for the last 11 years??  GMC was around before Chevrolet...it's not going away...

The first GMC-badged vehicle and the first Chevrolet-badged vehicle were both introduced in 1912.  That being said, I agree with you.  GMC trucks have been traditionally sold at Pontiac (Pontiac/GMC) dealerships and give them a truck to sell.  Did you know the first modern OHV GMC V8 engine was a Pontiac design, introduced in the all-new 1955 model?
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 03:15:34 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by MH2010

quote:

GMC offers the Denali trim line in some of its models, and Chevrolet doesn't offer an equivalent.  The Denali SUVs are almost as luxurious than the Cadillac Escalade, but not as "flashy".
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 05:16:03 am »

quote:
Originally posted by slhtulsa

quote:

Because of offering one vehicle in a few trim levels you are offering the same vehicle under 2-3 names, each with their own trim. It has been proven before that selling the same vehicle with a different name and different trim has only a moderate increase in sales numbers as many of the people who buy the new model, would've just bought the old model if the new one didn't exist.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 05:17:19 am »

quote:
Originally posted by bugo

quote:

quote:

GMC offers the Denali trim line in some of its models, and Chevrolet doesn't offer an equivalent.  The Denali SUVs are almost as luxurious than the Cadillac Escalade, but not as "flashy".

See, one vehicle, 3 brands, each have their own trim level. It's the same vehicle why not just release it under 1-2 brand names instead of 3?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 10:13:27 am »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

See, one vehicle, 3 brands, each have their own trim level. It's the same vehicle why not just release it under 1-2 brand names instead of 3?

Plus, more marketing budget, etc.  Same deal w/ Ford and Mercury.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 10:15:18 am »

quote:

Are we talking "real" cost (invoice minus hold-back, advertising, etc.) or "dealer invoice"?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
bugo
Civic Leader

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 01:56:39 pm »

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's nothing compared to the GM360 trucks.  This SUV has been badge engineered into the following vehicles:

Chevrolet Trailblazer
GMC Envoy
Saab 9-7X
Oldsmobile Bravada (until 2004)
Buick Rainier
Isuzu Ascender

I wish they would put that inline-6 in something besides an SUV.  A Dakota-sized truck with the I-6 standard and a LS2 V8 optional would be a hell of a lot better than the cramped, underpowered Colorado (which was engineered for Thaiiland and reworked into a product for the US market.)
slhtulsa
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2008, 03:33:14 pm »

quote:

quote:

Chevrolet is the "volume brand"  If a Chevy is rebadged as a Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Saturn, etc.   Chevrolet always has the lowest base price
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org