A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:23:21 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 11th and Harvard  (Read 8304 times)
USRufnex
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 12:52:23 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by we vs us

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Starbucks is never my first choice for boutique  coffee.  I'd just as soon support Shades of Brown or the Coffee Shop on 15th.

However, it usually takes someone with deep pockets like Starbucks to start a revitalization of an area, so I don't think they are all bad.  There's plenty of empty lots along Harvard from 11th to 5th.

I had a friend who sold real estate in Chicago.  He would check the local planning meetings, the abstract companies, and the Starbucks website, looking for new store information.  He'd then start courting possible sellers in the neighborhoods where new ones were going in, knowing that getting a new Starbucks meant that a neighborhood was turning around, and that property values would soon shoot up.

Getting a Starbucks = the Yuppie stamp of approval.

Funny how the "Starbucks Effect" worked on me... I got into the Starbucks habit over a decade ago when they opened one down the street from where I worked in the Chicago loop.... then when they opened a Starbucks down the street from my apt off Greenleaf & Sheridan (Rogers Park), I discovered I had a perfectly good neighborhood coffee shop down the block that I'd never visited... Starbucks turned me into an elitist boutique coffee drinker who shops local... [Tongue]

IMO, the problem with this in Chicago is that there was so much market speculation/condo flipping, that I am suspicious that Mayor Daley & the aldermen used special tax incentives in the name of "urban renewal" to attract Starbucks (and Borders... and Whole Foods, etc)... to artificially inflate property values...

Daley can then keep his political promises and tell people he hasn't raised their property taxes, but then property taxes go up because property values go up... due to market manipulation... while longtime residents of the neighborhood are forced to either pay substancially higher property taxes or "cash out" and move elsewhere...

Chicago's dirty little secret:  nearly 30% of the city's land mass is made up of creatively gerrymandered TIF's... Tax Increment Finance districts... [Wink]

« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 01:09:30 pm by USRufnex » Logged
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 02:17:44 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by USRufnex

quote:
Originally posted by we vs us

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Starbucks is never my first choice for boutique  coffee.  I'd just as soon support Shades of Brown or the Coffee Shop on 15th.

However, it usually takes someone with deep pockets like Starbucks to start a revitalization of an area, so I don't think they are all bad.  There's plenty of empty lots along Harvard from 11th to 5th.

I had a friend who sold real estate in Chicago.  He would check the local planning meetings, the abstract companies, and the Starbucks website, looking for new store information.  He'd then start courting possible sellers in the neighborhoods where new ones were going in, knowing that getting a new Starbucks meant that a neighborhood was turning around, and that property values would soon shoot up.

Getting a Starbucks = the Yuppie stamp of approval.

Funny how the "Starbucks Effect" worked on me... I got into the Starbucks habit over a decade ago when they opened one down the street from where I worked in the Chicago loop.... then when they opened a Starbucks down the street from my apt off Greenleaf & Sheridan (Rogers Park), I discovered I had a perfectly good neighborhood coffee shop down the block that I'd never visited... Starbucks turned me into an elitist boutique coffee drinker who shops local... [Tongue]

IMO, the problem with this in Chicago is that there was so much market speculation/condo flipping, that I am suspicious that Mayor Daley & the aldermen used special tax incentives in the name of "urban renewal" to attract Starbucks (and Borders... and Whole Foods, etc)... to artificially inflate property values...

Daley can then keep his political promises and tell people he hasn't raised their property taxes, but then property taxes go up because property values go up... due to market manipulation... while longtime residents of the neighborhood are forced to either pay substancially higher property taxes or "cash out" and move elsewhere...

Chicago's dirty little secret:  nearly 30% of the city's land mass is made up of creatively gerrymandered TIF's... Tax Increment Finance districts... [Wink]

Wow, Ruff, we were neighbors, sorta.  My wife and I lived down in Andersonville at Balmoral and Clark, and we had some great friends who lived on Sheridan just south of Greenleaf.  I'm intimately familiar with your hood! [Cheesy]

Yeah, the TIF situation in CHI is out of control, but at the same time, it's had an undeniable effect on the city, and at least at this point for the better.  It's the eternal Daley conundrum:  if the dictator is by and large benevolent, does that cancel out the dictator part?  Not to say that Daley is a saint or that he could've done differently and done better, but still.  CHI is on a definite upswing and I have to say a lot of that credit goes to King Richie.

But look at me, talking Chicago politics on a Tulsa board.

Anyhoo, I was never much of a Starbucks guy, here or abroad, but have to credit it for popularizing the coffee-shop lifestyle, which I think is valuable.  
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 02:20:53 pm »

wait, wait wait wait... hold on a second.  I don't believe you.  I need to clarify something here...

Are you guys implying that there is political corruption in Chicago?  

[Cheesy]

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
LizaQ
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2008, 09:56:29 am »

Any new word on what they are putting there? Lot's of concete work going on and they are resurfacing the sidewalk which looks nice. Is it a Starbucks for sure?

Thanks
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2008, 10:11:17 am »

I believe it is a dentist lab/school going in to the old pawn shop, and they are redoing the work on the lot to facilitate that.

The Starbucks was rumored to be going in on the NE Corner of 11th and Harvard.  But I don't have any REAL information for you I'm afraid.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org