A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:17:31 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 11th and Harvard  (Read 8305 times)
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« on: May 25, 2008, 11:46:45 pm »

Okay smart people...Word on the street is that Starbucks is coming to 11th and Harvard.

There's some sort of construction work taking place west of the now empty pawn shop that's east of Harvard. I looked around on the site and didn't see anything about this, so forgive me if it's been covered. Anybody know the details?

Also the former Saffron seems to have something going on. It's been repainted, had windows put in the front and has people milling around it all the time.

As we know, TU is adding a PAC up the street and The Collective is going in to the old Harwood location. Looks like a good time to own property in the 11th and Harvard area.

What do you guys know about these things?

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
dsjeffries
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 12:54:05 am »

While the property and construction have been mentioned in another thread, Starbucks hasn't ever been mentioned, so kudos to you!  I'd love to have a real Starbucks location (not a kiosk in the Collins Fitness Center or in ACAC) closer to campus... Granted, Utica Square isn't that far, and depending on how this one is built, it will still probably be the Starbucks of choice for TU students...

The Saffron location is being turned into a salon... If you drive by, you can see the chairs inside the big glass windows.
Who Cares
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 03:42:40 pm »

What I was told is that a Starbucks will eventually be built on the Northeast corner of 11th and havard. That land was owned by T.U. and was traded to Wendy's for the old location by the statium. Starbucks then made Wendys an offer they couldn't refuse for the corner.
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 07:30:26 pm »

Hmmm. Good to know. Then I wonder what's going on on the southeast corner....something is stirring and I'm not talking about the classy check cashers place.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
MidTownie
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:20:58 am »

A dental school/clinic is being built on the SE corner.  Rumor has it the owner is also trying to purchase an adjacent house that will be used as lodging for out of town students.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:22:25 am »

quote:
Originally posted by MidTownie

A dental school/clinic is being built on the SE corner.  Rumor has it the owner is also trying to purchase an adjacent house that will be used as lodging for out of town students.

Whoa.  That's weird.

And actually it's a shame. That was a prime spot for a nice pub.

Not that I have anything against the dental profession, but still.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 09:22:57 am by we vs us » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 10:27:31 am »

The old Saffron building is going to be a high end Salon as discussed in a different thread.

Glad to hear about the Starbuck (don't really care about the place, but better than an empty lot) and the Dental School (same).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
safetyguy
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 11:29:23 am »

quote:

A Dental School to be affiliated with TU or just another place for dental hygienist to learn the trade??
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 11:39:15 am »

A man and his wife walked into a dentist's office. The man said to the dentist, "Doctor, I'm in one hell of a big hurry! I have two buddies sitting out in my car waiting for us to go play golf. So forget about the anesthetic and just pull the tooth and be done with it. I don't have time to wait for the anesthetic to work!"

The dentist thought to himself, "My goodness, this sure is a very brave man, asking me to pull his tooth without using anything to kill the pain."

So the dentist asked him, "Which tooth is it, sir?" The man turned to his wife and said, "Open your mouth, Honey, and show the doctor which tooth hurts."
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 11:39:43 am by RecycleMichael » Logged

Power is nothing till you use it.
Gold
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 11:57:51 am »

quote:
Originally posted by safetyguy

quote:

A Dental School to be affiliated with TU or just another place for dental hygienist to learn the trade??

I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with TU.  I'm not so happy with that use of space.  It could be used for something to make that area livelier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 02:34:18 pm »

Starbucks is never my first choice for boutique  coffee.  I'd just as soon support Shades of Brown or the Coffee Shop on 15th.

However, it usually takes someone with deep pockets like Starbucks to start a revitalization of an area, so I don't think they are all bad.  There's plenty of empty lots along Harvard from 11th to 5th.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 02:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Starbucks is never my first choice for boutique  coffee.  I'd just as soon support Shades of Brown or the Coffee Shop on 15th.

However, it usually takes someone with deep pockets like Starbucks to start a revitalization of an area, so I don't think they are all bad.  There's plenty of empty lots along Harvard from 11th to 5th.

I had a friend who sold real estate in Chicago.  He would check the local planning meetings, the abstract companies, and the Starbucks website, looking for new store information.  He'd then start courting possible sellers in the neighborhoods where new ones were going in, knowing that getting a new Starbucks meant that a neighborhood was turning around, and that property values would soon shoot up.

Getting a Starbucks = the Yuppie stamp of approval.
MichaelBates
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 03:41:42 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Conan71

Doesn't TU own most of those empty lots?
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 07:33:26 am »

Yes Bates, Tulsa decided long ago that it wants control of the area and outright purchased many lots and arranged deals with other land owns which granted a life estate to the current resident with the University taking the Remainder.  The latter deals are why the University is just now freeing up some internal lots and every now and then tears down a residence on the other side of Harvard (as I understand it).  

At least, that is what I was told my a law school prof in this regard (no first hand knowledge disclaimer).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Gold
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 09:18:16 am »

There was discussion a few years back of moving the greek houses to the east side of Harvard.  Something to do with not having enough space to add acadmic buildings on campus.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org