A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 02:08:43 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Irked mayor bolts meeting with City Council  (Read 18176 times)
tim huntzinger
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2009, 01:49:17 pm »

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0509/624698.html

MAYOR WALKS OUT ON COUNCILORS

'Several Tulsa city councilors say they are still in shock after Mayor Kathy Taylor walked out of a committee meeting.
'The mayor says it happened when she was interrupted by one of the councilors while trying to explain the new stadium improvement district coming to downtown Tulsa. In a nutshell, the City is no longer going to contribute a half million dollars to a fund for special downtown services. It will now be part of the new Stadium Improvement District.
'Councilor Bill Martinson wanted to know where that money was going. But, in the end, he upset Mayor Taylor. Martinson wanted to know how much the City would be contributing to the ballpark fund for downtown services. The mayor proceeded to explain, but after fifteen minutes, and the question asked several times over...
'"Councilor Martinson, I would really like to finish a sentence," Taylor said. "I know that you don't want me to, but I'd really like to if you don't mind."
"I do mind," Martinson replied. "Because I..."
But, he was cut off in mid-sentence.
"Okay, if you want to submit a question to me in a writing, I'm not, I won't take that..."
Mayor Taylor eventually walked out of the room.
Councilor John Eagleton says the mayor was not answering Councilor Martinson's questions.
"If the question is where is the money coming from and where is the money going, I expect a clear answer to that question," Eagleton says. "We still don't have a straight answer."
'But, when we asked the mayor the same question, she gave us a straight answer.
"The general fund allocation won't be paid this year," Taylor said.
'As for walking out of the meeting?
"I think there have been issues over the last six months both where I've appeared and some our city employees have appeared where the dialog has not been respectful," she says. "And I felt like it was important yesterday to make that statement."
'But, Councilor Rick Westcott says it's just the opposite.
"The City Council feels disrespected by the mayor of Tulsa," he says.
'It seems all anyone can agree on is that they need to stop disagreeing.
We also spoke with Councilor Martinson by phone, who says he never meant to disrespect the mayor. He says he felt like his question was not being answered directly. He says he still does not have that answer.
'Right now, the council is waiting for an opinion from the state Attorney General on the legality of the new stadium assessment fee. Mayor Taylor has put the issue up for a vote on Thursday's agenda. Councilors have until July first to approve it.'

#    #    #

So the Mayor fillibustered for fifteen minutes is how I read this.  Kudos to KTUL!  Seems as if Westcott and Eagleton - two Bar-certified loyyahs - felt that the Mayor was not redirecting or answering the question.  If this were testimony would that qualify as contempt?  Walking out is contemptible on its face, but then to use that tired 'let me answer' when there is not an answer forthcoming shows poor executive skills.  Sorry she is used to folk just catering to her but that is why this is a story.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 07:39:47 am by Know Nothing » Logged
waterboy
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2009, 05:26:57 pm »

Why was this even made an issue? The council and mayor have been struggling for king of the hill since the charter was changed. Well, we need something and someone to chatter about. Might as well be her.

And strange that Wilbur was able to determine that the money was not going to be paid by the city anymore (Surprise! Low tax receipts>no money for the bills) but Westcott and Eagleton couldn't read the writing on the wall? Do they not see budgets? Forecasts? Untill they admitted they knew what was up. Rico alluded to squabbles behind the scenes that the Mayor spoke of. I think they knew and wanted her to say it as clearly as possible to be used as ammo for political purposes. If legal processes stop the Drillers stadium, now that's a story.

We don't need this stuff hung on the clothes line. They made their plays and made their points.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2009, 12:50:51 pm »

Since the council system has been installed they have reserved the right to question a speaker that was not making a closed presentation where they are presented with a copy before the speaker begins.  At the present the Mayor is not a employee of the city therefore appears as a commoner before the council with a deep conflict of interest.  Under such conditions the councilors have a duty to question the speaker as a representatives of the people.  IMO only.

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
waterboy
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2009, 01:23:32 pm »

Actually, Shadow, she is still an employee, just an unpaid employee. However, I think they should question anyone presenting to them, yet still retain some decorum.
tim huntzinger
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2009, 01:43:47 pm »

Actually, Shadow, she is still an employee, just an unpaid employee. However, I think they should question anyone presenting to them, yet still retain some decorum.

Fifteen minutes her 'sentence' went on! Must be one of them German sentences!  Sounds like the right honorable councillors showed remarkable restraint!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2009, 01:45:26 pm »

The councilors all looked like they just watched dad slap mom at the dinner table.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2009, 07:43:36 pm »

Check the wage hour code on who is a employee.   Check the IRS code on expense accounts for volunteers.  Check the charter on salaries of elected employees.  Check issuing revenue bonds before they are approved by council.  Check the natural gas company on assessing the rate payers hidden in the bills for naming rights.  Check  on the spirit of the code that would require an employee mayor before there can be a volunteer mayor. Check on family interest as a beneficiary of the construction of the ball park.  The list could go on and on under failures to recognize the citizens rights.   IMO

waterboy
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2009, 09:16:01 pm »

That's a lot to check on. Might take awhile. But I assume you're contending that she can't be an employee yet you hold her responsible for a lot of mischief. She must be a witch then. Her powers over others are immense. How else could she do such damage as a mere citizen?
shadows
City Father

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2009, 09:55:24 am »

Waterboy:
After four sessions with the IRS when an expense account becomes compensation and having spent years in the labor movement along with being native born in the city, I am seeing the elitist abort the citizens rights after taking over absolute control.   In the promotion to amend the charter it was presented the strong mayor would be controlled by the council being able to approve such strong mayor submitted budget.  The items in question, that the mayor refused to answer and left the meeting indicates that charter was being held in default.  By simple reasoning it was obligatory on the councilors to question the submission of an incomplete budget, in constant change, before its approval.  The same conditions could exist like the air lines deal passed by a hand picked committee that would dare question the 7M payment on which the budget shortage is reflected in the future furloughing of 4K city employees.

A bouquet of roses to the councilors who would stand up to their obligation.

Click on the icon of books and read “employee” as it defines one.     

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org