A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 05:47:38 pm
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Edward Delk's Bar and Restaurant  (Read 48203 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2013, 11:51:12 am »

IMO, The Vault needs a menu overhaul if they want to stay busy.  Great venue and the food is good, just nothing particularly memorable or something I crave to go downtown for.  Cocktail menu is second to none and they do have great service, I'd simply like to see more items rotating in and out of the menu since it's limited to about six or eight entrees. 

Anyone know if the kitchen has limited equipment which restricts the menu to things which can only be heated in an oven or cooktop?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2013, 12:26:28 pm »

Carl, what i dislike is imbalanced growth and poorly thought out development. I don't hate anything. I even gave you hints of a big downtown deal working as we speak....I would be concerned  about your attitude. Get an adjustment!
saintnicster
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2013, 01:24:33 pm »

IMO, The Vault needs a menu overhaul if they want to stay busy.  Great venue and the food is good, just nothing particularly memorable or something I crave to go downtown for.  Cocktail menu is second to none and they do have great service, I'd simply like to see more items rotating in and out of the menu since it's limited to about six or eight entrees.

The Vault Pasta is something that I've had cravings for.  

The mac & cheese?  Sort of bland, IMO.  It would be magnificent with bacon.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 02:38:16 pm by Conan71 » Logged
davideinstein
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2013, 09:16:37 pm »

Carl, what i dislike is imbalanced growth and poorly thought out development. I don't hate anything. I even gave you hints of a big downtown deal working as we speak....I would be concerned  about your attitude. Get an adjustment!

Feel free to explain to me how a daytime population of nearly 30K is a bad investment for a sandwich shop. I'm all ears.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2013, 11:25:06 pm »

Feel free to explain to me how a daytime population of nearly 30K is a bad investment for a sandwich shop. I'm all ears.

I never said that.

Delk's was more than a sandwich shop. It was another boozerie....and had an extensive menu.

Inexperienced entrepreneurs?

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2013, 08:26:26 am »

m

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
saintnicster
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2013, 09:12:03 am »

The Vault Pasta is something that I've had cravings for.  

The mac & cheese?  Sort of bland, IMO.  It would be magnificent with bacon.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6050409/2-26-2013%209-06-50%20AM.png

You edited my post instead of replying, conan -.-

And no, not the same thing as the mac and cheese.  Description from the menu
VAULT PASTA
rotini, sausage, eggplant, spinach, cherry tomatoes, lemon,
garlic, parmesan & toasted walnuts

They don't have a price on just a side of it, but I've been able to order that at dinner.  They've got a smaller portion that you can order as a lunch special.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2013, 09:32:45 am »

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6050409/2-26-2013%209-06-50%20AM.png

You edited my post instead of replying, conan -.-

And no, not the same thing as the mac and cheese.  Description from the menu
They don't have a price on just a side of it, but I've been able to order that at dinner.  They've got a smaller portion that you can order as a lunch special.

That's bizarre. 

I'll give the pasta a shot next time we are there.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2013, 09:46:02 am »

No, it's a question everyone should be asking.  Its basic market forces.  In a crowded market you have to provide a top notch product.  Delk's nailed the decor, but failed at food and in my experience service.  If you don't hit all three you don't stay in a crowded market.

Delk's also had the burden of the large expense of the build out and the furnishings, etc.  That creates a big cash flow need just to service the debt/investment.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2013, 10:36:13 am »

Delk's also had the burden of the large expense of the build out and the furnishings, etc.  That creates a big cash flow need just to service the debt/investment.

I've heard some banter on Facebook that an Italian concept is going in the spot, so it won't be idle long.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2013, 12:30:47 pm »

I've heard some banter on Facebook that an Italian concept is going in the spot, so it won't be idle long.

Wonder if they are installing a vent? That was one of the main limitations for Delk's kitchen.

I'd like a good Thai place downtown...we already have a few mediocre Italian places.
dbacks fan
« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2013, 01:18:01 pm »

Just curious, who carried the financial load on the build out, was it Delk or the property owner? I read reviews of Delk's on yelp! urbanspoon and Trip Advisor and they were mixed as to 60% liked it and 40% didn't and the compalints were universal almost on the food, srevice and prices and those three always seem to be the down fall of most places. Also noticed that The Vault has similar reviews on those three sites as well.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2013, 02:18:47 pm »

They were essentially one in the same.  Hunt Hawkins was a partner in Delk's.  His family owns the Philtower.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
dbacks fan
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2013, 02:30:40 pm »

They were essentially one in the same.  Hunt Hawkins was a partner in Delk's.  His family owns the Philtower.

Thanks. The reason I was asking is if it was the Philtower that fronted the build out, the cost could very likely be past on to the next tenant to pay for the build out. If it was carried solely buy the tenenat, the owner would not be trying to recover construction costs, and could get reasonable rent without passing the cost to the next tenant.

Although, and just guessing, with the Philtower being part owner, I would think they are going to add in the cost (buildout cost added to the lease) on whoever is next, and from the sound of things if there is no vent in the kitchen, it is still a very limited market for a restaraunt to open there again.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:34:15 pm by dbacks fan » Logged
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2013, 02:47:09 pm »

I said from the beginning they needed to scale back the food to what the kitchen could support.

Both Hodges Bend and the 1764 Wine Bar are doing fine serving upscale cocktails and cheese platters with no other food.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org