A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 08:58:19 pm
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fallin cuts top tax rate, says state revenue growth is enough.  (Read 113560 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2013, 04:13:13 pm »

Tax cuts when you can't afford to run the state properly isn't the answer. 

Maybe she and the state legislature could admit to incompetence and make room for people who skip the religion craze and work on effective education.

Hmm.  I see increasing economic growth in Oklahoma.  In fact we are #6 of 50 (or 57) for states with the best employment, and continue to creep up the list.  Our state is becoming more attractive for investment, and companies are relocating here.  With economic growth, increased employment, and jobs that produce higher incomes, you get revenue growth.  With revenue growth comes all of those wonderful programs you like.

Taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed. – Robert A. Heinlein

Those who take the most from the table, teach contentment. Those for whom the taxes are destined, demand sacrifice. Those who eat their fill, speak to the hungry, of wonderful times to come. Those who lead the country into the abyss, call ruling difficult, for ordinary folk. – Bertolt Brecht

Things in our country run in spite of government, not by aid of it. – Will Rogers

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. – Will Rogers

We are ordinary folk.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2013, 04:17:58 pm »

Hmm.  I see increasing economic growth in Oklahoma.  In fact we are #6 of 50 (or 57) for states with the best employment, and continue to creep up the list.  Our state is becoming more attractive for investment, and companies are relocating here.  With economic growth, increased employment, and jobs that produce higher incomes, you get revenue growth.  With revenue growth comes all of those wonderful programs you like.

When the companies move in due to lower taxes and better deals they have to bring their own educated workforce.

We can pay companies to move here all we want.  If we don't educate our kids, we do little for our state.

Small pictures are easy.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2013, 04:32:44 pm »

When the companies move in due to lower taxes and better deals they have to bring their own educated workforce.

We can pay companies to move here all we want.  If we don't educate our kids, we do little for our state.

Small pictures are easy.

And....

...boom goes the dynamite...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2013, 04:46:24 pm »

Small pictures are easy.

Our current per year expenditure per pupil is a little under $8,000.  The state takes in about $5,000 in revenue per pupil.  That is quite a revenue gap.  An average classroom of 20 students requires $160,000 to run, with most of that going to administrative and facilities expenses.  When that one class graduates, the state has spent $2,080,000 to educate them.  The cost for a public school education is very close to the cost of a private school education now, but the quality has not increased.  That would lead one to believe that money may not be the problem.

How about demand?  How about more companies working with educators to produce future employees?  I know of many companies that already do this.  Perhaps attracting more is not a bad idea?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2013, 04:48:54 pm »

Our current per year expenditure per pupil is a little under $8,000.  The state takes in about $5,000 in revenue per pupil.  That is quite a revenue gap.  An average classroom of 20 students requires $160,000 to run, with most of that going to administrative and facilities expenses.  When that one class graduates, the state has spent $2,080,000 to educate them.  The cost for a public school education is very close to the cost of a private school education now, but the quality has not increased.  That would lead one to believe that money may not be the problem.

How about demand?  How about more companies working with educators to produce future employees?  I know of many companies that already do this.  Perhaps attracting more is not a bad idea?

You really need to learn to link your posts.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2013, 04:55:40 pm »

You really need to learn to link your posts.

Sorry,  I forget you don't use the Google.
http://febp.newamerica.net/k12/OK

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2013, 04:58:02 pm »

Sorry,  I forget you don't use the Google.

Support your own posts.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2013, 04:59:26 pm »

Wow!  I just realized that there's only about a $400 difference between a public school education and a Bishop Kelly education (if you are Catholic, heathens have too pay more).

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2013, 05:07:01 pm »

Ahhh....how good is that?!!  The tiny little piece that you just leave out completely is that we have had good economic growth for a while with 1 minor little drop in 2008.  - 3.3%.  As opposed to what?...about 20% drop for the rest of the economy at that same time?  

So, tax cuts are once again shown to not only be irrelevant to Oklahoma economic growth but from the way Oklahoma has done for almost 30 years, would actually seem to indicate we should leave our rates at their previous rates.  Wow!  Wouldn't that be a bit$$ if your reality was actually different from real reality??  Oh, wait...it is!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #114 on: January 24, 2013, 01:50:41 pm »

This tax cut will spur the Oklahoma economy even more. Drawing in more jobs and dropping our states unemployment rate. Anyone who does not agree with Mary Fallin on this tax cut is welcome to send  a check to the state government as a form of protest as was mentioned in one of the above posts. So it's a win-win for everyone. Tax cuts help the economy and  tax increases hurt and choke the economy as we can all see from Obama and the grim shape of the national economy the higher Obama raises taxes the worse everything gets. There is no such thing as taxing yourself to prosperity.

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #115 on: January 24, 2013, 01:52:12 pm »

This tax cut will spur the Oklahoma economy even more. Drawing in more jobs and dropping our states unemployment rate. Anyone who does not agree with Mary Fallin on this tax cut is welcome to send  a check to the state government as a form of protest as was mentioned in one of the above posts. So it's a win-win for everyone. Tax cuts help the economy and  tax increases hurt and choke the economy as we can all see from Obama and the grim shape of the national economy the higher Obama raises taxes the worse everything gets. There is no such thing as taxing yourself to prosperity.

Soliciting money like this makes you a bit of a prostitute, Mary.
Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2013, 02:04:14 pm »

Soliciting money like this makes you a bit of a prostitute, Mary.

Cool
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2013, 05:55:22 pm »

As if you have any contact with reality....

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2013, 12:28:35 am »

Can you source that?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2013, 07:26:56 am »

Small pictures are easy.

You know that companies can't wait to relocate their workforces and their families.

If this were true, and it's not, this would be good for all the libs that hate Tulsa so much, because it would mean more well educated hipsters would be moving in to displace all of the Oklahoma rubes.

Just think, more eclectic coffee shops would open, stores would carry a wider selection of skinny jeans, thin ties would come back in style. 

An influx of companies from the West coast who caravan their employees would represent a new land rush for Oklahoma.  Flocks of Prius' towing their covered U-haul wagons would flow in to populate overpriced lofts, and a new demand would arise for vegan restaurants and gated dog parks.

Towney, these are your people.  Don't forsake them.  Cry

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org