A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 04:06:24 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ebola  (Read 47416 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

Re:
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 07:02:00 pm »

They are always running against each other.

I agree. But by the same token, this is still Bush's fault (and Rick Perry's fault) that Ebola hit the U.S. If Bush had only did a better job with Avian flu and Katrina as Obama pointed out...

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 10:04:07 am »

Obama is taking Ebola seriously. It’s Republicans that are fighting him on funding for fighting it in Africa, remember?

Ebola hasn’t killed anyone in the United States and isn’t likely to ever kill more than a handful either. At the same time the known seasonal flu strains we currently deal with are going to kill somewhere around 35,000 Americans just this year. Ebola is not the flu. While it’s very often deadly, it’s not very contagious.

Flu is far more dangerous and new more deadly flu strains that jump species that we don’t have inoculations for are a huge health concern. The Spanish Flu killed 675,000 Americans in 1918, another Flu outbreak in the late 50s killed almost 70,000 people.  Swine flu jumped to humans in 2010 but didn’t turn out to be a deadly strain in humans. A bad flu epidemic today could kill hundreds of thousands or even millions of Americans before we are able to develop inoculations. Ebola is not a danger to do that in an advanced country with modern medicine, it just doesn’t spread that easily. Flu does.

You may now carry on with your silly reality challenged hysterics over that awful black man in the White House.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:02:53 am by swake » Logged
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 10:26:27 am »

You may now carry on with your silly reality challenged hysterics over that awful black man in the White House.

That's what's keeping the conservative GOP hunkered together.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 11:06:08 am »

If we are taking this so serious, why are we allowing travel to and from countries currently impacted by Ebola?  Just now trending is a Nigerian with ebola-like symptoms who is being evaluated at a D.C. area hospital.

The cavalier attitude toward lax immigration policy has very real consequences.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 11:12:33 am »

If we are taking this so serious, why are we allowing travel to and from countries currently impacted by Ebola?  Just now trending is a Nigerian with ebola-like symptoms who is being evaluated at a D.C. area hospital.

Why would you ban travel from Nigeria anyway, they had a total of 19 confirmed cases in a country of 175 million people with no new cases in the last 30 days.

Him being checked IS being cautious. Very cautious.

Stop the panic and outrage machine.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 12:34:59 pm »

Screw you and your racism allegations. Jack@ss.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 12:38:19 pm »

Ebola hasn’t killed anyone in the United States

If I may play the devil's advocate; there were likely doctors in Haskell County Kansas saying something similar in 1918.

Hysterics arent helpful, but what is hurting us is complacency and negligence.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 12:39:56 pm »

Screw you and your racism allegations. Jack@ss.

Catchy comeback....

Come on, guido, I have seen you do better!  So do it!!  Take a few deep breaths, exhale slowly...pause to reflect and then write.  It seems like you are getting too caught up in the trivia and minutia of day to day activities.  Take a short break....have a few 'yoga' moments....then resume!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 12:40:02 pm »

Because former president Bush was just gawd awful about helping Africa deal with disease. And it's the GOP's fault that Obama said Ebola hitting this country was "unlikely" just two weeks ago. But perhaps the GOP's funding obstinacy just coincidentally happened in the past 2 weeks. And it's the GOP's that controls immigration. Blah blah blah.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 12:41:52 pm »

If I may play the devil's advocate; there were likely doctors in Haskell County Kansas saying something similar in 1918.

Hysterics arent helpful, but what is hurting us is complacency and negligence.

Grandmother was kept indoors during that in the KC area.  Lived in quarters above a store, and she would sit in the front window watching the funeral processions come by.  At the peak, there were a few every day just on their street.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 12:45:04 pm »

Catchy comeback....

Come on, guido, I have seen you do better!  So do it!!  Take a few deep breaths, exhale slowly...pause to reflect and then write.  It seems like you are getting too caught up in the trivia and minutia of day to day activities.  Take a short break....have a few 'yoga' moments....then resume!

No need. I have maxed out with the likes of you and your racism BS.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 01:07:36 pm »

Because former president Bush was just gawd awful about helping Africa deal with disease. And it's the GOP's fault that Obama said Ebola hitting this country was "unlikely" just two weeks ago. But perhaps the GOP's funding obstinacy just coincidentally happened in the past 2 weeks. And it's the GOP's that controls immigration. Blah blah blah.

We’ve already dropped $100mm on Ebola.  There’s discretionary dollars available to the military they can use within their existing budget framework.  Libtards are conflating the issue by making a counter-proposal to Obama’s budget request for FY ’15 from Congress as refusing to lend a hand.

Blaming the GOP for all his troubles simply highlights his lack of leadership.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 01:09:13 pm »

Why would you ban travel from Nigeria anyway, they had a total of 19 confirmed cases in a country of 175 million people with no new cases in the last 30 days.

Him being checked IS being cautious. Very cautious.

Stop the panic and outrage machine.

Every epidemic starts small, swake, including influenza.  One way to stop it’s spread is to restrict where your citizens travel and who you allow in from foreign countries.

No panic and outrage here, it’s a simple and obvious precaution which is being ignored.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 01:41:36 pm »

Every epidemic starts small, swake, including influenza.  One way to stop it’s spread is to restrict where your citizens travel and who you allow in from foreign countries.

No panic and outrage here, it’s a simple and obvious precaution which is being ignored.

Again, 175 million people, 19 cases of Ebola and no new ones in the last 30 days? Close that border? Now that we have a case should Europe and Canada close our borders? By your logic should all other countries close their borders with us anyway because of our problems with Flu?

Ebola is a terrible disease that is striking poor countries with poor sanitation and poor medical care. We are not that. Stop with the panic. Ebola only spreads when a person comes into contact with an infected person's bodily fluids and only for one week while they are showing symptoms.  

Anyway, the three most impacted countries have 22 million people with 7,157 cases of Ebola so far, so .033% of those countries populations are infected. These aren't big numbers, yet.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:13:11 pm by swake » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 01:47:56 pm »

Again, 175 million people, 19 cases of Ebola and no new ones in the last 30 days? Close that boarder? Now that we have a case should Europe and Canada close our borders? By your logic should all other countries close their boarders with us anyway because of our problems with Flu?

Ebola is a terrible disease that is striking poor countries with poor sanitation and poor medical care. We are not that. Stop with the panic. Ebola only spreads when a person comes into contact with an infected person's bodily fluids and only for one week while they are showing symptoms. 

Anyway, the three most impacted countries have 22 million people with 7,157 cases of Ebola so far, so .033% of those countries populations are infected. These aren't big numbers, yet.

Alot of it has to do with misinformation being spread and suggesting that the virus could mutate into becoming airborne.  Horse puckey, say most doctors.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/ebola/11138196/Suggesting-Ebola-will-become-airborne-is-irresponsible-say-experts.html

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org