A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 08:18:38 pm
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Police misconduct 2  (Read 212570 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #510 on: August 03, 2015, 06:55:41 am »

Comedy Central?   As a news source?   Cited in your argument?   

Quit drinking bleach.

Likely a better source than some...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TeeDub
« Reply #511 on: August 03, 2015, 07:18:36 am »

http://www.theonion.com/r/50674

CHICAGO—In an effort to expand its congested facilities to better meet the department’s staffing needs, the Chicago Police Department announced Tuesday the construction of a new addition to its headquarters that will allow it to accommodate officers who have been placed on desk duty due to allegations of misconduct.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #512 on: August 03, 2015, 01:20:01 pm »

http://www.theonion.com/r/50674

CHICAGO—In an effort to expand its congested facilities to better meet the department’s staffing needs, the Chicago Police Department announced Tuesday the construction of a new addition to its headquarters that will allow it to accommodate officers who have been placed on desk duty due to allegations of misconduct.

Funny, in a sad way.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/06/chicago-torture-reparations_n_7225938.html

Chicago City Council on Wednesday unanimously approved a landmark ordinance that sets aside $5.5 million in reparations for victims of police torture ... victims of Burge and his "midnight crew," were subjected to beatings, suffocation, electrocution and other abuse in order to force their confessions.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #513 on: August 03, 2015, 05:46:49 pm »

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A "paramilitary response" by police in New Mexico unnecessarily escalated an encounter last year that ended when two officers unlawfully opened fire and killed a homeless man despite signs that he wanted to surrender, a special prosecutor said Monday.
The prosecutor said the shooting occurred after 19 officers armed with a total of more than 700 rounds of ammunition surrounded Boyd for camping illegally in the foothills of the Sandia Mountains.

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2015/08/03/prosecutor-police-officers-unlawfully-opened-fire-in-death

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:56:35 pm by Vashta Nerada » Logged
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #514 on: August 06, 2015, 12:14:36 pm »

Wow! Watch this donkey hat with a gun.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3186904/Shocking-moment-Northern-California-officer-pulls-gun-man-recording-cellphone.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #515 on: August 06, 2015, 06:33:23 pm »

One police body camera shows a murder, the other two bodycams show fellow officers concocting the cover story.
Its like they dont even care about the cameras -- they must have believed no one would ever see the video, or that the video would go to a lab to be doctored like we do in Oklahoma.
That there exists a "blue wall of silence" when it comes to police officers and their unwillingness to get a fellow officer in trouble is not surprising. But to do so when they know a body camera is capturing the event as well as their conversations afterward? That suggests either rampant stupidity or a behavior that is so ingrained as to equal a criminal enterprise. [/i]
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/opinion/editorial/bs-ed-cincinnati-20150730-story.html

Just because a corrupt police tactic is outed as a lie doesnt mean they stop using it:

South Carolina officer shoots unarmed white teen during pot bust

Nineteen-year-old Zachary Hammond was on a date July 26 when he was fatally shot twice by a police officer while at the back parking lot of a Hardee's.
The Seneca Police Department said the officer was conducting a drug investigation and shot Hammond in self-defense.

"He was a uniformed officer, he was in a marked vehicle, was out of his vehicle on foot approaching the suspect vehicle -- weapon drawn given it was a narcotics type violation," Seneca Police Chief John Covington said to CNN.

A small amount of marijuana was found in the front passenger's compartment in Hammond's car.

"He was a 19-year-old, 121-pound kid killed basically for a joint," Bland said.
"This is about the use of overreaching deadly force in situations where it is not required," Bland said.

Police said the officer was attempting to arrest Hammond when the teen accelerated the car and drove toward the officer, prompting the officer to shoot in self-defense, but Bland said Hammond's wounds indicate the vehicle was not moving, and the teen was shot on the rear of his shoulder and on the side of his chest.  The Hammond family commissioned an independent autopsy, which found the teen's gunshot wounds indicated he was shot from behind and at close range.

"We will not be releasing the officer's name that was involved in the shooting and consider him a victim of attempted murder" Police said.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/06/us/seneca-teen-dead-police-shooting/

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #516 on: August 07, 2015, 09:49:49 am »

So the cop stopped and got out of his car for the sole purpose of getting confrontational with a guy with a camera?
If the only consequences to that are a paid vacation.. why not.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #517 on: August 07, 2015, 12:34:46 pm »

"He was a 19-year-old, 121-pound kid killed basically for a joint"

On Wednesday, Hammond’s family released the results of a private autopsy, which concluded that both bullets entered Hammond’s body from the back.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/06/an-unarmed-white-teen-was-shot-dead-by-police-his-family-asks-where-is-the-outrage/

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #518 on: August 15, 2015, 07:06:46 pm »

Union Urges Police to 'Dont Hesitate Using Force'

Birmingham police Sgt. Heath Boackle, president of the Fraternal Order of Police, told AL.com. that the “boots-on-the-ground officers across this country are at war, and if we do not have the help of citizens and local governments to stand behind us, we’ll never win.”

Friday an unnamed Birmingham detective, in plain clothes and an unmarked car, stopped a maroon 2012 GMC Yukon in the 9100 block of Parkway East in the Roebuck Plaza, and told the driver to stay in the SUV while he waited for a marked unit, police said. The driver questioned why he was being stopped and a physical confrontation followed.

The detective issued a plea for all available help over the police radio at 11:15 a.m. and was rushed to UAB Hospital, with police blocking off downtown intersections to make way for the detective's arrival via ambulance.

Boackle chalked up what happened to a widespread hesitancy among police to use force.

“There is a saying that ‘he who hesitates is lost’ and that’s why [the detective] lost, because he hesitated,” he told AL.com. “If the officers on the streets were not in fear of losing their jobs, it wouldn’t have gotten to the point it did yesterday. Officers are second-guessing every move because they’re afraid they’re going to be judged, by the media and by the public.”

Police were outraged when photos were published showing the detective lying face down on the pavement.

Hypocrites.

Vashta Nerada
Philanthropist

« Reply #519 on: August 16, 2015, 06:54:46 pm »

According to the Officer Down Memorial Page, 24 police officers have died this year as a result of a deliberate shooting or assault (as opposed to an accident or heart attack).

In contrast:  As of August 3, The Washington Post has tracked 570 fatal police shootings.

More people were shot and killed by on-duty police officers in July than in any other month so far in 2015.

At least 103 people were shot and killed by police officers last month, according to a Washington Post database tracking all fatal on-duty police shootings this year. That is 13 more fatal police shootings than March, the second most deadly month, during which 90 people were shot and killed by police.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/08/03/police-shot-and-killed-more-people-in-july-than-any-other-month-so-far-this-year/

Jammie
Civic Leader

« Reply #520 on: August 22, 2015, 01:38:25 pm »

According to the Officer Down Memorial Page, 24 police officers have died this year as a result of a deliberate shooting or assault (as opposed to an accident or heart attack).

In contrast:  As of August 3, The Washington Post has tracked 570 fatal police shootings.

More people were shot and killed by on-duty police officers in July than in any other month so far in 2015.

At least 103 people were shot and killed by police officers last month, according to a Washington Post database tracking all fatal on-duty police shootings this year. That is 13 more fatal police shootings than March, the second most deadly month, during which 90 people were shot and killed by police.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2015/08/03/police-shot-and-killed-more-people-in-july-than-any-other-month-so-far-this-year/

Sad, isn't it? I wonder if these numbers are actually higher then in the past or if there's just more accuracy in today's world. The fact that people are now feeling free to take pics/videos and sharing them with others even if it puts law enforcement in a bad light.

This story is still controversial and a bit blurry, but yesterday's news story got my attention.
http://www.newser.com/story/211688/teen-killed-by-st-louis-cops-was-shot-in-back.html

Adopt an older pet. Help them remember what it feels like to be loved.
TeeDub
« Reply #521 on: August 23, 2015, 06:49:55 pm »

Cops did this one right.   Didn't arrest the father.

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/455124/clifford-davis/2012-10-16/jacksonville-father-catches-peeping-tom-police-say

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #522 on: August 24, 2015, 07:51:32 am »

Last I checked. A peeping Tom is a criminal act. If this man fell on the Fathers fist in his yard. Well so be it. I'm not exactly sure how you would protect your Daughter. But if this creep was lurking around my house looking in windows. To the best of my ability. This is how he would look. And I don't have a Daughter.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
TeeDub
« Reply #523 on: August 24, 2015, 08:23:03 am »

Last I checked. A peeping Tom is a criminal act. If this man fell on the Fathers fist in his yard. Well so be it. I'm not exactly sure how you would protect your Daughter. But if this creep was lurking around my house looking in windows. To the best of my ability. This is how he would look. And I don't have a Daughter.

I was just throwing off the bad cop vibe with some good cop action.   
Jammie
Civic Leader

« Reply #524 on: September 01, 2015, 05:05:37 pm »

I was just throwing off the bad cop vibe with some good cop action.   

And there has always been a lot of good cops who did a lot of good things. There have also been a lot of bad cops who lack ethics and morals and just want to be big boys and bully/torment others. The problem is, they are protected by their peers, no matter what they do. Thankfully, they're now being outted for the horrible people they truly are. This is no different then protecting priests who are pedophiles.

We just personally had an experience with our law enforcement and I always held them in high esteem. They were searching for a vehicle and an older family member of mine was the one who found the vehicle. The people had already fled, but the cops were told what street it was on and still couldn't find it. (Incident that happened to our neighbor.) How pathetic that an older person going to the store could see what they couldn't see and it was in plain sight.

Today there is another story that should make everyone cautious. If you do a search on this same subject, you'll see that it has happened countless times. I love animals and I'm confused as to why the murder of a K-9 is punishable and the murder of a dog trying to protect his home/family slides by.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/sep/01/georgia-police-shoot-man-kill-dog-wrong-house

Adopt an older pet. Help them remember what it feels like to be loved.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 38   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org