A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 11:16:22 am
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do we "need" a 41st Street Bridge?  (Read 31165 times)
T-TownMike
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2007, 04:13:32 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by deinstein

It's a waste of money...you don't need a bridge every mile along the river. We can use the money for this bridge and work on the streets we already have, which are in borderline third world country condition in a lot of the city.

Einstein, you aren't very informed on this matter and you are coming across as a closed-minded, counter-productive, naysayer. It's never a bad idea to give more access to citizens, especially when you consider how much publicity the river is getting and the potential West Tulsa has. The idea is get more revenue from people that live WITHIN the city. West Tulsa is one of the only vast areas left that hasn't reached it's full potential. Making it more accessible helps tie in the area and incorporates the city as one. The way it is now, most AVOID West Tulsa. There's a clear, easy answer for that...poor access. How about looking for ways for the city to actually IMPROVE and getting on board with the concept? Your point is meaningless and has no merit. Your research is flawed and keeps Tulsa stagnating.
deinstein
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2007, 10:15:08 pm »

No, people avoid West Tulsa because it's full of meth labs, rail yards, industry and very polluted refineries. That's why people avoid West Tulsa. It has nothing to do with their not being a bridge at 41st St. Which would mainly be used by the industrial area there.
T-TownMike
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2007, 11:47:19 pm »

quote:

No, people avoid West Tulsa because it's full of meth labs, rail yards, industry and very polluted refineries. That's why people avoid West Tulsa. It has nothing to do with their not being a bridge at 41st St. Which would mainly be used by the industrial area there.

Again, you are ill-informed. Take a drive out on west 41st and tell me again that's all rail yards, meth labs and industry. You are stereo-typing an entire area based on what you've seen from the highway. That's pathetic. The area is absolutely beautiful with rolling hills and heavily wooded areas with ponds and tree after tree. There are alot of brand new neighborhoods, a college campus, etc... It also runs directly into Sand Springs. There's Hell of alot more than you your perceived reality of the area. Quit pissing on the West side.
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2007, 06:45:59 am »

quote:

Damn all those meth labs on the west side...whatever will we do living in such squalor?

Let's count them, shall we? One.

PEOPLE live on the west side, just like everywhere else. We mow our grass, plant flowers, go to work every day, socialize...wow, it's pretty much like anywhere else. We have little traffic, low crime...except for that one meth lab at an apartment complex.

If a bridge at 41st street happens, it happens. I wasn't all too hip on it before, but if it brings up the area then so be it.

But please, don't judge our west of the river Tulsa. You really have no idea what you're talking about.
deinstein
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2007, 01:36:27 pm »

You're talking about west of Highway 75 though, and those people will all take highways to get to Tulsa. It's faster fr them.

I'm constantly in the area for my job. I probably use the roads there more than most people on this forum.

I'm not even sure if the new neighborhoods and TCC West campus are in Tulsa, I think they are in Berryhill officially. But I could be wrong. Those people will still use the I-244 and Highway 75 to get across the river.

Stop wasting money. You're point was development along the river. What development? Another refinery? Factory? Get real.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2007, 01:42:23 pm »

I drive to berryhill fairly often and I use 21st to get across the river.
deinstein
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2007, 01:43:50 pm »

You like taking the long way then.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2007, 02:09:57 pm »

Not really. Avery drive is 50mph and it leads straight to chandler park, which is the north end of berryhill. I-44 would be enourmously out of the way. You could drive to the west end of downtown and get on 75 for a mile if you're really that excited about highways.
rwarn17588
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2007, 02:34:23 pm »

<deinstein wrote:

I'm not even sure if the new neighborhoods and TCC West campus are in Tulsa, I think they are in Berryhill officially. But I could be wrong. Those people will still use the I-244 and Highway 75 to get across the river.

<end clip>

TCC is officially listed as a Tulsa address. There is no "officially" in Berryhill because it technically doesn't exist. Berryhill is a neighborhood, not a town.

With your demonstrably stupid comment about meth labs, you ought to shut up before you dig your hole deeper.

FYI, as a west-sider, I use I-44, 11th Street Bridge, 21st Street Bridge and 71st Street Bridge all about equally. Once in a while, I use the Creek Turnpike. It all depends where I'm going. There's no sense in taking a high-speed interstate when it plops you miles out of the way of your destination.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2007, 03:44:03 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by rwarn17588

TCC is officially listed as a Tulsa address. There is no "officially" in Berryhill because it technically doesn't exist. Berryhill is a neighborhood, not a town.

With your demonstrably stupid comment about meth labs, you ought to shut up before you dig your hole deeper.

FYI, as a west-sider, I use I-44, 11th Street Bridge, 21st Street Bridge and 71st Street Bridge all about equally. Once in a while, I use the Creek Turnpike. It all depends where I'm going. There's no sense in taking a high-speed interstate when it plops you miles out of the way of your destination.

RWARN, representin' the west side..
deinstein
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2007, 10:25:04 pm »

My comment was summing up the viewpoints people had of West Tulsa, debunking the reason people not going over there is because there isn't a bridge  at 41st St. It's there perception that West Tulsa is meth, pollution and nasty.
rwarn17588
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2007, 11:04:28 pm »

If it was just a perception, why were you so intent on repeating it without that caveat in your statement?
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2007, 07:26:02 am »

quote:

My comment was summing up the viewpoints people had of West Tulsa, debunking the reason people not going over there is because there isn't a bridge  at 41st St. It's there perception that West Tulsa is meth, pollution and nasty.

What amazes me is that there is a "perception" that everywhere, not in one's own neighborhood, is crime-ridden, smells and is just "yucky." It's like we have "the grass is always brown on the other side of the fence" syndrome. I grew up that way and eventually figured out that it would deny the laws of physics for everywhere else to be THAT bad.

As deinstein notes, perception of west tulsa is an issue. I'd place good money that a good part of the population of Tulsa doesn't know that Tulsa extends west of the river. If a 41st bridge was built, as well as west bank redevelopment in the area, it would go far to counter this.
deinstein
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2007, 12:41:23 am »

West bank development alongside industry zones and oil refineries? Yeah, great idea.

[}:)]
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2007, 08:51:15 am »

quote:

West bank development alongside industry zones and oil refineries? Yeah, great idea.

[}:)]

Keep in mind that building south of 41st was considered just as dumb a few years ago. Still considered that way by some.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org