A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 10:22:12 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SQ 723  (Read 1637 times)
sendoff
« on: September 05, 2005, 10:15:27 pm »

SQ 723, the proposal to raise fuel taxes on gas and diesel to raise additional money to help fix Oklahoma's roads and bridges, is on the ballot Tuesday, September 13th.

see sample ballot - http://www.tulsacounty.org/documents/SEP%2013-ABS%202005.pdf

According to polls, this proposal is dead in the water. And coming at a time of $3/gal gas can't help either.

As a dyed-in-the-wool fiscal conservative, I am voting for the proposition.

The state legislature over the years has diverted funds from tag fees away from transportation needs to the general fund (schools, etc.). But that diversion is pretty much set in stone now and will not likely be changed unless another funding source is tapped, like increased property taxes. But all that really does is shift the source of revenue. And yes, there is some misspent money in the state budget that could be trimmed and used elsewhere, but if that were going to happen, it would have by now.

Road/bridge spending is one of the few government expenditures that pays for itself when you factor in jobs, economic growth, fewer car repairs, etc. Technically, most transportation spending has a net return - it is actually an investment.

The full fuel tax increase would not be due to go into effect for 2 years. Even at that we are talking a nickel more for gas. Gas has gone up more than $.50 in the past 10 days. Two cents (the first year increase) would not even be noticeable.

I like fuel taxes because it is a pay-as-you-use tax. A semi driving thousands of miles a week and getting 4 MPG is paying much more in fuel taxes than an elderly widow driving several thousand miles a year at 25 mpg.

Oklahoma, by underfunding road projects over the years, has left millions of federal matching funds on the table - funds that other states were able to claim and use to improve their infrastructure.

The only thing I would have done differently with this proposal is doubled the amount of the proposed fuel tax increase and abolished most of the turnpike system. I think that would have guaranteed success.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org