A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 07:19:49 am
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Someone Please Pay for my Rubbers  (Read 125026 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #285 on: June 15, 2012, 09:26:14 am »

Michigan State Rep Barred From Speaking After 'Vagina' Comment

http://m.npr.org/story/155059849?url=%2Fblogs%2Fthetwo-way%2F2012%2F06%2F14%2F155059849%2Fmichigan-state-rep-barred-from-speaking-after-vagina-comments&sc=fb&cc=fp

During a heated debate on the floor of the Michigan state House, Rep. Lisa Brown made an impassioned speech against a bill that seeks to put new regulations on abortion providers and ban all abortions after 20 weeks.

Brown, a Democrat, argued that her Jewish faith allowed for therapeutic abortions when the mother's life is in danger without regard to length of pregnancy.

"I have not asked you to adopt and adhere to my religious beliefs. Why are you asking me to adopt yours?" she said. But what came next is what got her in trouble: "And finally, Mr. Speaker, I'm flattered that you're all so interested in my vagina, but 'no' means 'no.'"

The Detroit News reports today the House Republican leadership did not allow Brown to speak on a bill about the retirement of school employees.

The News reports:

"'What she said was offensive," said Rep. Mike Callton, R-Nashville. 'It was so offensive, I don't even want to say it in front of women. I would not say that in mixed company.'

"Majority Floor Leader Jim Stamas, R-Midland, determined Brown's comments violated the decorum of the House, said Ari Adler, spokesman for the Republican majority."

Brown called a press conference, today, the Detroit Free Press reports. She defended her use of the word "vagina," saying it is the "anatomically medically correct term."

"If they are going to legislate my anatomy, I see no reason why I cannot mention it," she said according to the Free Press.

"Regardless of their reasoning, this is a violation of my First Amendment rights and directly impedes my ability to serve the people who elected me into office," Brown added in a statement released by her office.

Brown was not the only woman silenced on the floor today. Rep. Barb Byrum was also not allowed to speak on the floor.

"Byrum, D-Onondaga, caused a disturbance on the House floor Wednesday when she wasn't allowed to introduce an amendment to the abortion regulations bill banning men from getting a vasectomy unless the sterilization procedure was necessary to save a man's life," the Detroit News reports.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #286 on: September 12, 2012, 09:04:21 am »

TW FB Post:

OKLAHOMA CITY - Hobby Lobby Stores and its founders have filed a federal suit challenging the federal Affordable Care Act’s mandate that its corporate health insurance policy cover certain kinds of birth control as a free preventative service for employees.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #287 on: September 12, 2012, 01:37:19 pm »

ACORN whistle-blower on Akin-gate: Women ‘are the new pawns in this political game’

http://dailycaller.com/?p=3328441

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #288 on: September 12, 2012, 01:39:02 pm »

ACORN whistle-blower on Akin-gate: Women ‘are the new pawns in this political game’

http://dailycaller.com/?p=3328441

Seriously?  The Daily Caller?  That's like liberals posting stuff from HuffPo or DK on here.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #289 on: September 12, 2012, 01:39:32 pm »

Yes, all women are pawns.  3.5 billion pawns.  They will all be used for politics.  They have no ability to not be pawns.  So they will be pawns.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #290 on: September 12, 2012, 01:46:35 pm »

I used to love women.......Until they were awarded the rights for me to hate em.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #291 on: September 12, 2012, 01:53:23 pm »

I love prawns.  Wait? What?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #292 on: September 12, 2012, 01:54:27 pm »

Seriously?  The Daily Caller?  That's like liberals posting stuff from HuffPo New York Times or DK NBC on here.

Fixed it for you.

But seriously, does it warrant complete ignorance of the story?

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #293 on: September 12, 2012, 01:54:51 pm »

TW FB Post:

Figured that story would get some play in here.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #294 on: September 12, 2012, 01:55:12 pm »

Yes, all women are pawns.  3.5 billion pawns.  They will all be used for politics.  They have no ability to not be pawns.  So they will be pawns.

You know, the criticism is of the politicians, not the women.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #295 on: September 12, 2012, 01:59:32 pm »

Fixed it for you.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #296 on: September 12, 2012, 02:02:59 pm »

You know, the criticism is of the politicians, not the women.

So you think all women can be used as pawns by these politicians?  "Can't help it ladies, the politicians are going to use you and nothing you can do about it."
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #297 on: September 12, 2012, 02:05:29 pm »

Figured that story would get some play in here.

Of course.  What's your point?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #298 on: September 12, 2012, 02:11:12 pm »

Know we can always expect astute commentary from our resident counselor.  Very adult.

wonder if you also throw spitballs in chambers.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 02:27:59 pm by Hoss » Logged

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #299 on: September 12, 2012, 02:29:15 pm »

Fixed it for you.

No more so than when the screeching right complains when some on here source the aforementioned outlets.  Including your corrected ones.  Not sure why you felt the need to correct them, as they all four lean left.  But then again, I'm never sure of what your point is most of the time.  You might be ADD.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org