A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 12:00:00 pm
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Someone Please Pay for my Rubbers  (Read 125049 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2012, 09:51:53 am »

Why?

When I was 18 I was going to college and working.  I was insured, it was relatively cheap, and my employer had several plans that I could choose.  Because I was young and single, I opted for the cheapest plan with a $200 deductible.  Looking back, that plan covered far more than my current plan covers and was a fraction of the cost.

The question is not whether it is right or wrong, the question is wether it is wise.

Many students would not get their own coverage.  This means if they get hurt or sick, no coverage.  This means many medical bills would go unpaid or many sick students may not get medical attention until much later into the illness.

I think it's a good idea for the coverage to be available.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2012, 10:08:58 am »

Amen Gasp. I am with a woman who is all about enabling her children. Her oldest is 23 and still living at home. Hasnt had to fend for himself one bit. He is on his fourth car. Which she bought all of them. He spends every dime he makes (when he works) on fun little things for himself. And her second child is on his first car, which she bought. But this one likes to work and has a high dollar clothes addiction so I dont see him leaving anytime soon either.
Im pretty quick to point out that I moved out at 18 and never went back home. Just doesnt seem to soak in though. It is a totally different time I know but the kids today with their mentality of entitlement is just scary.
Oh and I already know the whole Dr. Phil spiel that it is my fault with the way I raised them. Believe you me I have taken my fair share of blame for what has taken place in my life. I just wish they would too.
The sad fact is if you dont cover them with health insurance. They will still be at your home, just disabled on the couch.

Independence is not a goal to reach, it's one to exceed.  I instill that into my children by involving them in all of the families financial discussions.  They are too young now to understand everything, but the logic they learn through the process is the tool that allows them to build an understanding of what is necessary to be independent, and how to get there.  Over time their demands for toys, candy, and anything else colorful on the shelf at the store strategically positioned 1.5' off the ground is diminishing.  They have their own money, they earn it by helping around the house with chores and other tasks that they are capable of.  When we go to the store now, they weigh the decision to take their money or save it.  9 times out of 10 they opt to save it for a bigger purchase.

My Daughter is 6.  She's in Girl Scouts.  This was the first year for her to sell cookies.  Her troupe set a goal of 100 boxes per girl.  She decided she was going to sell 200.  I asked her why 200, and her response was "100 is just their goal, you know, for the lazy girls."  She's on the right track!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #167 on: March 07, 2012, 10:23:44 am »

Independence is not a goal to reach, it's one to exceed.  I instill that into my children by involving them in all of the families financial discussions.  They are too young now to understand everything, but the logic they learn through the process is the tool that allows them to build an understanding of what is necessary to be independent, and how to get there.  Over time their demands for toys, candy, and anything else colorful on the shelf at the store strategically positioned 1.5' off the ground is diminishing.  They have their own money, they earn it by helping around the house with chores and other tasks that they are capable of.  When we go to the store now, they weigh the decision to take their money or save it.  9 times out of 10 they opt to save it for a bigger purchase.

My Daughter is 6.  She's in Girl Scouts.  This was the first year for her to sell cookies.  Her troupe set a goal of 100 boxes per girl.  She decided she was going to sell 200.  I asked her why 200, and her response was "100 is just their goal, you know, for the lazy girls."  She's on the right track!

Reminds me somewhat of the first time I made a C in school.   My mother was a middle and high school teacher, and for a time a college professor.  When I made that C she told me that schools are set up so that the average person can make an A.  A "C" is average, so if the average "C" person can make an A, then making a C in that context means your a Failure.  You should at LEAST make an A.    And often, even that is not good enough.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2012, 11:24:35 am »

Getting ready to make decisions on women's healthcare.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2012, 01:51:33 pm »

It's a brave new world where your children are dependents until 26.

A brave new world!

Mine weren't.  Gone at 18 and 19.  Grandkids doing the same routine.  Now, lo these many years later, they are doing ok.  I'm coaching them on the idea of getting rich so they can support me in my old age....it's only fair - I supported them for 18, I don't think it's too much for them to support me for a couple...  (I'm kidding!!)

What I tell them is that if they take me out of my home (to go to nursing home) I will come back and haunt them - for a long, long time!  They can call me once a week if they want, but if I don't answer, start a 5 day timer (if I don't call them back).  At the end of the 5 days, they can come over and check on me.  If still alive, then will probably survive and I will accept help to the hospital or ?.  If dead, then call in someone to clean up the place so they can sell it.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:54:22 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2012, 02:31:05 pm »

Getting ready to make decisions on women's healthcare.

If you were being honest you would say, "Getting ready to make decisions on women's (who happen to work for religiously affiliated organizations) pocketbooks.

What they said or did limited in no way a woman's right to get health care.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2012, 02:33:18 pm »

If you were being honest you would say, "Getting ready to make decisions on women's (who happen to work for religiously affiliated organizations) pocketbooks.

Unless that healthcare revolves around contraception. But everything else?  Totally cool!
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2012, 02:40:07 pm »

Or you could look at it as it actually was.

House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa

The California congressman convened an all-male panel of clergy to discuss the mandate that insurance companies include coverage of birth control pills. He declined to include Sister Carol Keehan, president and CEO of the Catholic Health Association, which oversees some 1200 Catholic health organizations across the U.S., or Georgetown law student and activist Sandra Fluke, whose health plan does not cover contraception. Of the latter woman, Issa stated, “As the hearing is not about reproductive rights but instead about the [Obama] administration’s actions as they relate to freedom of religion and conscience, he believes that Ms. Fluke is not an appropriate witness.”

What We Learned: Freedom of conscience is not an appropriate topic for women to discuss; freedom from unplanned pregnancy, ovarian cysts, symptoms of endometriosis, irregular periods, migraines, and other health issues are not matters of public conscience; talking about icky body stuff is easier for dudes when ladies aren’t around.

Read more: http://ideas.time.com/2012/03/07/subject-for-debate-are-women-people/#ixzz1oSvF1kuR
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2012, 02:34:54 pm »

Amen Gasp. I am with a woman who is all about enabling her children. Her oldest is 23 and still living at home. Hasnt had to fend for himself one bit. He is on his fourth car. Which she bought all of them. He spends every dime he makes (when he works) on fun little things for himself. And her second child is on his first car, which she bought. But this one likes to work and has a high dollar clothes addiction so I dont see him leaving anytime soon either.

With the unemployment rate for under-25s at around 20% thanks to all the older folks who would otherwise be unemployed taking the low-end jobs the outlook isn't great for getting the kids off your couch.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2012, 03:35:07 pm »

With the unemployment rate for under-25s at around 20% thanks to all the older folks who would otherwise be unemployed taking the low-end jobs the outlook isn't great for getting the kids off your couch.

Remove the couch.

Necessity is quite a motivator.

Wink

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #175 on: March 08, 2012, 03:50:14 pm »

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."

Benjamin Franklin

I seriously doubt much has changed in this regard over the years.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #176 on: March 08, 2012, 04:23:46 pm »

"I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I travelled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer."

Benjamin Franklin

Or thousands of years.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #177 on: March 08, 2012, 04:36:40 pm »

Benjamin Franklin

So are you saying price their corn and medical care in a particular way?
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #178 on: March 08, 2012, 05:44:47 pm »

I think Erfalf is just the Washington County version of Gassy...

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #179 on: March 08, 2012, 07:24:41 pm »

Just out of curriosity, why did you ask that that particular question?

All I was saying was that nathanm suggested that it is older folks fault that younger people were out of work at a remarkably high rate. It is no fault of the older generation, in my opinion it shows quit a bit of back bone for that generation to be doing jobs that may seam beneath them, because they have to. I am just saying that being poor/out of work SHOULD be uncomfortable. It is the best motivation to better one's self.

Back to the "Paying for rubbers", I'd just like to reset the conversation so I'm clear. If we just remove the whole incedent of Rush having foot in mouth disease, what is the big uproar about anyways?

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org