A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 01:26:10 am
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Will Someone Please Pay for my Rubbers  (Read 125009 times)
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2012, 02:49:15 pm »

That's all part of it, in the Book of progress. . .  

Entitlement begot dependence.  Dependence begot collective purchasing.  Collective purchasing begot limited choice and the lobby.  Lobbying begot exclusive contracts and even more limited choice.  Limited choice begot worker organization to demand more entitlement.

The grand Ouroboros content to devour itself.

Liberty is often a heavy burden on a man. It involves the necessity for perpetual choice which is the kind of labor men have always dreaded. – Oliver Wendall Holmes

I guess you don't use group insurance or shop at a price club
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2012, 03:01:27 pm »

I guess you don't use group insurance or shop at a price club

I do have group health insurance because under our current system of group administration, that's the only way to affordably get insurance.  It sucks, coverage is crap, and choices are limited, but rather than me as an individual having the power of choice within my budget, I am resigned to take whatever scrap the company offers and still pay a premium for it.

I shop at Sam's from time to time too.  Like you, I enjoy the prices, but I am also aware that every time I shop there and spend $200, I am driving smaller businesses out of business, limiting the service on the products I purchase, and ultimately making those products lesser in quality in the future, because I am limiting the competition from the spectrum of products not available from that single purchasing source.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2012, 07:38:28 pm »

She had no real business testifying cause she's not an expert on anything that was actually being heard at the time.

No less so than the male clergy Issa called.

And Gassy, you should be happy for the health insurance exchanges soon to be required by law. What's not to love about a competitive individual insurance market?

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2012, 09:18:58 pm »

I do have group health insurance because under our current system of group administration, that's the only way to affordably get insurance.  It sucks, coverage is crap, and choices are limited, but rather than me as an individual having the power of choice within my budget, I am resigned to take whatever scrap the company offers and still pay a premium for it.

It will get better soon.  More choices.  And now, you cannot be denied for existing conditions.  And if you had kids, they could be covered until 26.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #154 on: March 07, 2012, 07:14:01 am »

It will get better soon.  More choices.  And now, you cannot be denied for existing conditions.  And if you had kids, they could be covered until 26.

It's a brave new world where your children are dependents until 26.

A brave new world!

erfalf
City Father

« Reply #155 on: March 07, 2012, 07:43:30 am »

No less so than the male clergy Issa called.

And Gassy, you should be happy for the health insurance exchanges soon to be required by law. What's not to love about a competitive individual insurance market?

The clergy were far more appropriate considering the issue at hand was religious freedom when it came to health insurance coverage, ie choice.

Fluke was a way to change the subject. In fact is wasn't even a hearing she was at, it was a press conference designed to appear like a hearing. See how no one is even talking about what initially got this started, Obama's dictate that all insurance cover this stuff.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #156 on: March 07, 2012, 07:45:26 am »

The clergy were far more appropriate considering the issue at hand was religious freedom when it came to health insurance coverage, ie choice.

Fluke was a way to change the subject. In fact is wasn't even a hearing she was at, it was a press conference designed to appear like a hearing. See how no one is even talking about what initially got this started, Obama's dictate that all insurance cover this stuff.

If the conservative mouthpiece/breather RushContin hadn't opened his trap, it's likely much of this would have blown over.  Leave it to tubby and his larger ego to open up the flood-gates.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #157 on: March 07, 2012, 08:44:40 am »

It's a brave new world where your children are dependents until 26.

A brave new world!

You know you're not forced to do that right?

Do you think it's a bad idea?
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2012, 08:59:30 am »

Fluke was a counter advocate, offering her (turns out) well-researched and supported point of view.  She had just as much right and credibility being there.  I'd also argue that the Fluke vs the All-Dude Clergy was the subject.  The Republicans from the git-go had tried to make the issue about religious autonomy and freedom whereas the original intent of the decision was about employee rights.  If this was a battle about how to frame the issue, then Fluke was the sole attempt to pry it from the hands of Issa and his Godly Panel.  Sadly for them, Rush took over.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2012, 09:16:41 am »

You know you're not forced to do that right?

Do you think it's a bad idea?

Meh.  I know people who's 30yo kids still live with them.  You feed them, and supply electricity for their Nintendos.  Why not provide healthcare. 

In this economy the prospects for young people are getting slimmer and slimmer. . .you know with the 1% and all.  Wink

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2012, 09:17:49 am »

Meh.  I know people who's 30yo kids still live with them.  You feed them, and supply electricity for their Nintendos.  Why not provide healthcare. 

In this economy the prospects for young people are getting slimmer and slimmer. . .you know with the 1% and all.  Wink

So don't cover them or do cover them?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #161 on: March 07, 2012, 09:26:46 am »

So don't cover them or do cover them?

By that age, my kids will be adults, and decisions regarding their healthcare will be their own.  

I can't speak for other people's children, I just know that some are never allowed to grow up.

It is unwise to continue adding rungs to the ladder of dependence.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2012, 09:37:02 am »

By that age, my kids will be adults, and decisions regarding their healthcare will be their own.  

I can't speak for other people's children, I just know that some are never allowed to grow up.

So 18 and that's it.  College students go uninsured.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #163 on: March 07, 2012, 09:44:18 am »

So 18 and that's it.  College students go uninsured.

Why?

When I was 18 I was going to college and working.  I was insured, it was relatively cheap, and my employer had several plans that I could choose.  Because I was young and single, I opted for the cheapest plan with a $200 deductible.  Looking back, that plan covered far more than my current plan covers and was a fraction of the cost.

It goes back to the heart of the problem with the insurance system, regulation, mandate, and even more concentrated purchasing will continue to drive up the cost, so we will continue to find ourselves calling upon the power of government to force more and more mandate until the system collapses. 

What's next?  A demand for coverage for anyone of any age living with you?  Coverage for grand and great-grand children?  Families with a single producer covering 3 generations of dependents?

The question is not whether it is right or wrong, the question is wether it is wise.

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #164 on: March 07, 2012, 09:46:40 am »

Amen Gasp. I am with a woman who is all about enabling her children. Her oldest is 23 and still living at home. Hasnt had to fend for himself one bit. He is on his fourth car. Which she bought all of them. He spends every dime he makes (when he works) on fun little things for himself. And her second child is on his first car, which she bought. But this one likes to work and has a high dollar clothes addiction so I dont see him leaving anytime soon either.
Im pretty quick to point out that I moved out at 18 and never went back home. Just doesnt seem to soak in though. It is a totally different time I know but the kids today with their mentality of entitlement is just scary.
Oh and I already know the whole Dr. Phil spiel that it is my fault with the way I raised them. Believe you me I have taken my fair share of blame for what has taken place in my life. I just wish they would too.
The sad fact is if you dont cover them with health insurance. They will still be at your home, just disabled on the couch.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org