A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 12:27:32 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Top of the Town - Pictures  (Read 9914 times)
SXSW
City Father

« on: June 18, 2010, 08:08:31 am »

I went to this charity event downtown last night where each venue was the top floor of several downtown buildings with food/drinks/music at each stop.  It was fun and there were tons of people downtown going to and from the buildings.  This is the second year they (the Childcare Resource Center of Tulsa) have done this event and hopefully it continues to grow each year.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 11:55:23 am »

Kewl pics, thanks for sharing.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 01:06:30 pm »

Awsome pics. That had to be a fun time. Do you have them posted somewhere that I could use one for my wallpaper. I like the one with the BOK and the other with the Ballpark. Great shots.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 02:20:27 pm »

I don't have them posted anywhere else, but feel free to use them.  Tulsanow forumers should all attend this event next year.  The best place was the Mid-Continent tower penthouse.  I could've just stayed there the whole time, it has amazing views and that is where most of these pics were taken (the others at 320 Boston, 21st floor).

This one shows just how many surface lots there really are in the south part of downtown.  The new TCC building made a dent but there are still lots to fill.  A park going from Boulder to Main (or even all the way to Boston) could really be the catalyst this area needs.  That and continued expansion from TCC.  I see the whole south part of downtown and south into Uptown being developed as more of an urban residential neighborhood in the future with apartments and townhomes while Boston, Blue Dome, the 5th & Main area, and Brady continue to be the home of most restaurants/entertainment so things aren't so spread out.

Amazing how the entire city looks like forest..
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 02:23:45 pm by SXSW » Logged

dsjeffries
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 02:50:11 pm »

I did Top of the Town last night, too. +1 on the MidContinent rooftop patio. I wish I could live there! I can just imagine waking up every morning and reading the news, drinking some tea and watching the sunrise. That place is absolutely stunning.

I have about 150 photos currently uploading to Flickr. I'll add just a few on here, but to view all of them, visit http://www.flickr.com/dscott28604.

Enjoy!

And if you want to see a plethora of surface parking lots, check out this sad picture:

I'll post some of the night shots later.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 05:01:15 pm »

Nice shots ds, your camera is much better than mine.   Smiley

I didn't post my pic of Blue Dome, too depressing with all the surface parking.  If only that lot next to the PAC could be made into a park it would serve as a nice gateway from the core into Blue Dome instead of being such a barrier as it is now.  That would be a significant improvement.  I love to see all of the buildings getting filled with restaurants, bars, and shops but at some point there needs to be more new construction so we can start infilling those surface lots..

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 08:19:48 pm »

All nice pics, aside from the surface lots. (boo!) SXSW, I think your pics just need a little postprocessing TLC and they'd look just fine. Your camera just got the white balance wrong, but not so wrong it can't be corrected. Smiley

What's neat in a completely different sort of way is the view from the ice cube to the BOK/Williams building. It's a little surreal being so close to it, yet so far off the ground and with no way to see either the top or the bottom of the adjacent building. Combined with the simplistic vertical form of the BOK building, it makes for a neat picture.

Sadly, I lost the image in a hard drive crash some years back. Sad
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:21:53 pm by nathanm » Logged

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 09:58:52 am »

I love this view.  When (if?) the City Hall tower is turned into a hotel the guests in west facing rooms will have this view down the river valley.  You can barely make out the Hwy 97 bridge by Sand Springs.  Someday there will be another bridge visible even closer for the Gilcrease Loop, just before hill where Chandler Park is located.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 10:01:10 am by SXSW » Logged

sauerkraut
City Father

I Conquered The 2013 -2015 Polar Bear Plunge!!

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 11:18:04 am »

Very nice pictures. Thanks for posting 'em. BTW "Tulsa People" mag a few years ago did a story called  "On Top Of Tulsa" and they showed ya what went on in the top floors of Tulsa's skyscrapers. The BOK tower has a forest or some sort of greenhouse on it's top floor, I always thought they had a restaurant there. Cheesy

Proud Global  Warming Deiner! Earth Is Getting Colder NOT Warmer!
dbacks fan
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 12:58:38 am »

I was looking at these pics at work on Friday and had a couple of people come into my work space and the first comment was about seeing the University Club Tower and remembering that from the "Tex" movie. They asked how I found it and I told them that I grew up in Tulsa with that building as a fixture on the city scape. The other comments that I have gotten from various shots that people have posted here are how much they love the Art Deco and the various mix of Deco, MCM, and current contemporary architecture that Tulsa has. And these are from people that have never been to Tulsa. So little of old Phoenix is left from the early to mid last century. Alot has been razed and redeveloped and replaced. So take pride in what Tulsa has, the former Mrs. Dback as an AZ native loved the mix of architecture in Tulsa and her favorite is the Boston Ave Church. She compared it to the Mission Churches in CA and AZ for it's heritage.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:01:06 am by dbacks fan » Logged
dbacks fan
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 01:20:48 am »

Very nice pictures. Thanks for posting 'em. BTW "Tulsa People" mag a few years ago did a story called  "On Top Of Tulsa" and they showed ya what went on in the top floors of Tulsa's skyscrapers. The BOK tower has a forest or some sort of greenhouse on it's top floor, I always thought they had a restaurant there. Cheesy

What are you smoking? The BOK Tower has nothing like you are talking about. Never has since it was built. Aside from Kaiser and the Williams brothers, there has never been a public area on the top three or four floors of the BOK/Williams Center Tower since it was built. I worked for a courier company in the 80's and made many deliveries throughout the building, from the lock box in the basement to the top floors. In the 90's I did several jobs of voice and data cabling in the building for the likes of Vintage Petroleum, and have several freinds who have worked for BOK, and other companies in the building, so I have an intimate knowledge of the workings of the tower.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 01:31:31 am by dbacks fan » Logged
AngieB
Proud Westsider
City Father

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 05:49:53 am »

I have a friend that works on the 50th floor of the BOK Tower...just offices and cubes up there. It's been years since I've been up there, but there is sort of another floor above that...I've seen it once...and there were just art pieces displayed there.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 05:55:42 am »

When I went to the top of the BOK about 5 years ago it had a gym, but I heard they've taken it out.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 07:59:33 am »

Very nice pictures. Thanks for posting 'em. BTW "Tulsa People" mag a few years ago did a story called  "On Top Of Tulsa" and they showed ya what went on in the top floors of Tulsa's skyscrapers. The BOK tower has a forest or some sort of greenhouse on it's top floor, I always thought they had a restaurant there. Cheesy

What are you smoking? The BOK Tower has nothing like you are talking about. Never has since it was built. Aside from Kaiser and the Williams brothers, there has never been a public area on the top three or four floors of the BOK/Williams Center Tower since it was built. I worked for a courier company in the 80's and made many deliveries throughout the building, from the lock box in the basement to the top floors. In the 90's I did several jobs of voice and data cabling in the building for the likes of Vintage Petroleum, and have several freinds who have worked for BOK, and other companies in the building, so I have an intimate knowledge of the workings of the tower.

Thus providing an example of the quality of his posts
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 08:17:25 am »

Thus providing an example of the quality of his posts

Sadly, you're backing the wrong horse on this one.

* Picture 3.png (222.36 KB - downloaded 306 times.)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org