A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:27:23 pm
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Use of BOK Center - Mayor Taylor vs. Tulsa Talons  (Read 21279 times)
joiei
City Father

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2009, 06:02:10 am »

From the BOK website, faq page, 
MISCELLANEOUS

24) Can I host a business meeting or special event at BOK Center?
          - Corporate/private gatherings are available for 10 to 20,000 patrons. Catering and event planning services are also available. Please call 918.894.4200 for more information.

From the same website, under Overview, booking the center page
Looking to book an event at the BOK Center?
We want to speak to you. Together, we can find a deal that is right for you and make your event a success. Our goal is to provide you with an excellent, turn-key experience to keep you coming back from year-to-year.

FOR BOOKING, Contact SMG at 1.918.894.4200

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
Wilbur
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 06:29:52 am »

The BOK Center is available to rent for special events and I don't believe anyone else has to discuss their arrangements with the city council.

Don't know about the whole building, but I heard the lobby costs $10k to rent for an event.
The ball park in OKC also has sections of the building that are available to rent for events (was at one such event).  While I have no first hand knowledge, I would be surprised if the BOK did not have similar areas of the building available for all types of events. 
DowntownNow
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 10:27:13 am »

Glad to hear there is availability for these kinds of events.  And it would seem the first charge that led this post was in error so no conflicts.  My only concern in asking is that everyone is on the same level of play when it comes to being able to book.  Sounds like they are.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 04:13:02 pm »

My only concern in asking is that everyone is on the same level of play when it comes to being able to book.  Sounds like they are.
And rather than look at the BOk Center website to figure that out, you rely on other people to do it for you after you baselessly attack the mayor?  Roll Eyes

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
joiei
City Father

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 07:46:18 pm »

And rather than look at the BOk Center website to figure that out, you rely on other people to do it for you after you baselessly attack the mayor?  Roll Eyes

nathanm,  some people are just lazy or are just trying to create conflict when none really exists.  Is this part of the thinking we have gotten to today, attack first then hope that the unfounded rumors and lies might be true?   I have seen that happen on this site more than once. 

It was a nice day, most of the snow melted. 

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 10:25:50 pm »

I am amazed this story is still around...I heard people were buzzing about it tonight at dinner.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Wilbur
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 04:59:58 am »

Looks like there's more to the story.  And looks like it was probably true!

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090403_11_A11_MayorK236772
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 05:17:35 am »

The story says the league made some last minute changes as well.

Jitter Free
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 06:06:05 am »

No need to apologize Cannon Fooder, Nathanm and Joiei.  Just take a look at the local section of the Tulsa World today.

Funny how some people just go to a website or two and believe they have investigated the entire situation.  Hmmmm, didn't another prominent blogger have to apologize recently for being to quick to judge and then just writing nonsense without investigating the facts first.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 06:33:07 am »

Maybe you should be the one apologizing, Jitter.

Your original post said..."After receiving approval for all of these dates from the BOK Center, the Talons then had all of their materials printed with these dates, published the dates, etc..."   

The Tulsa World says, "Taylor's event wasn't necessarily the determining factor for the Talons' final schedule because the league also made some last-minute changes."

Did you just lie to us...or did you just go to one website or two and not investigate the entire situation?

waterboy
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 06:39:56 am »

Did I miss something? Why would they apologize? The story made it clear that schedule dates for the Talons were not yet solidified with the league. Also, they didn't feel particularly slighted and that such schedule pre-emptions were common. You on the other hand made it look like a sinister attempt by the mayor to utilize the arena for personal use while costing the taxpayers and the Talons. Now, we're out a $15,000 booking. Man up and apologize.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2009, 08:06:00 am »

No need to apologize Cannon Fooder, Nathanm and Joiei.  Just take a look at the local section of the Tulsa World today.

Funny how some people just go to a website or two and believe they have investigated the entire situation.  Hmmmm, didn't another prominent blogger have to apologize recently for being to quick to judge and then just writing nonsense without investigating the facts first.

Isn't it funny how you didn't pipe back up until someone at the Whirled took a potshot at Taylor and her daughter?  Why weren't you defending your statement last week?  Now it looks like you have two black eyes.

This is the classic 'mountain out of a molehill'.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2009, 08:29:25 am »

Making a story about the reaction to this is making Tulsa look really podunk.

If they had the money to book the center, were paying the prevailing rate, and no un-due pressure was applied to move the Talons game, I think it was a brilliant stroke for the daughter of the mayor to want to have the reception in a public Tulsa venue.

I'm starting to wonder about Christiansen.  Wasn't he the councilor complaining his contituents (he represents one of the more affluent districts) would be burdened by $2.00 per month for curb-side recycling?  I've been a long-time supporter of him, but I'm starting to get really tired of the constant bickering between certain members of the council and the mayor.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2009, 08:33:38 am »

...I'm starting to get really tired of the constant bickering between certain members of the council and the mayor.
You're only NOW noticing this? I haven't been following city politics for long, but as long a I can remember it has always been a battle between Mayor and Council. And while discourse can be helpful in presenting new ideas or techniques, arguing about EVERYTHING (recycling, community gardens, streets, etc) is holding the city back...

---Robert
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2009, 08:58:33 am »

Making a story about the reaction to this is making Tulsa look really podunk.

If they had the money to book the center, were paying the prevailing rate, and no un-due pressure was applied to move the Talons game, I think it was a brilliant stroke for the daughter of the mayor to want to have the reception in a public Tulsa venue.

I'm starting to wonder about Christiansen.  Wasn't he the councilor complaining his contituents (he represents one of the more affluent districts) would be burdened by $2.00 per month for curb-side recycling?  I've been a long-time supporter of him, but I'm starting to get really tired of the constant bickering between certain members of the council and the mayor.

I think Christiansen is a good guy, but he’s ambitious (which itself is not a bad thing) and I think lately he keeps trying to find some issue that will gain him some traction and help him get elected mayor.  I would not go so far as to call him a pander-monkey like Brogdon or Terrell, but sadly he’s getting there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org